short lease and capital gains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

short lease and capital gains

I am just wondering what is the score with CGT on a property that hasn't risen in value due to a short lease? Is it an advantage of not extending a lease that you can avoid this tax?

You are showing a lack of understanding of CGT system by asking if advantageous to avoid this tax.

If you make a capital gain , you will be liable for CGT charged on the profit and first 11K of profit is not taxed and the extra may be taxed at 18% or 28%. This means you will keep atleast 72% or more of the total profit.

If you look for ways to avoid CGT by making no profit, then you will be the loser. So seeking out and making profit is good for you.

Comment

As Gordon post advises- Don't let the tail wag the dog!

A 50 year lease is a wasting asset when you sell only a proportion (according to a defined table ) of the cost can offset against the proceeds

Comment

Thanks SGC. I'd never heard of that before. Can you provide a link to the table?
        To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/...dule/8/enacted

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• S20 - Quotes not valid for long enough for 30 day consult
            by Flatman78
            Hi LZ Community

Just wondering if anyone's had/having any issues with S20 and allowing leaseholder 30 days to review estimates, raise concerns etc.

Building material prices have fluctuated massively since covid and brexit.
            with a combination of Brexit, impact from russia/ukraine...
            23-05-2022, 14:42 PM
          • Reply to S20 - Quotes not valid for long enough for 30 day consult
            by Flatman78
            Thanks Gordon999

You can see from above reply to Macromia that's your comment wouldn't be relevant to me. there is no managing agent. It's just me (FH) and LH in upstairs flat.
            Thanks for taking time to reply though....
            23-05-2022, 20:29 PM
          • Reply to S20 - Quotes not valid for long enough for 30 day consult
            by Flatman78
            Thanks Macromia, I'm hoping not to have to request quotes to include extra 'contingency' as I know some building materials literally jumped by up to 80% pretty much overnight and so I / we could end up paying a hell of a lot more than we have to go with a 'protective' quote.

It's only me...
            23-05-2022, 20:27 PM
          • RTM Hand Over Issues
            by martin15
            RTM handing over issues

Our RTM companies comprise 4 blocks of 6 identical two bedroom flats and each block is registered at Companies House as a separate company.
            Following the acquisition date, it was discovered the former directors ignored legal advice and changed property management companies...
            23-05-2022, 19:36 PM
          • Reply to RTM Hand Over Issues
            by ash72
            You could sue the other company for the money owed.
            23-05-2022, 19:48 PM
          • Reply to RTM Hand Over Issues
            by Hudson01
            I am clearly no expert but i think this statement from the all knowing WWW appears to fit the bill for what has happened to you.................

'' Fraud can be broadly defined as the deliberate use of deception or dishonesty to disadvantage or cause loss (usually financial) to another...
            23-05-2022, 19:48 PM
          • Reply to Old managing agents accounts
            by Gordon999
            You could show the last service charge demanded by previous managing agent . There should be a final summary of the service charge account.to show the unspent funds.
            23-05-2022, 18:26 PM
          • Old managing agents accounts
            by jazzythumper
            Since obtaining the RTM and changing the managing agent, we have never been given full accounts / receipts for the previous year(s). We believe that as the old freeholder and leaser holder of one of the flats were represented by the same solicitor that prior to the sale of the freehold, we were subsidising...
            20-05-2022, 11:21 AM
          • Building works & S20 process
            by RichA
            Hi. I have a freehold after selling a leasehold flat in a block of 4 flats. We don't currently have a managing agent, so these duties currently fall to me (I am holding off appointing a managing agent whilst the leaseholders consider whether they want to RTM).

The block needs some maintenance...
            21-05-2022, 17:20 PM
          • Reply to Building works & S20 process
            by Macromia
            Good questions.
            The fact that the cost of work means that Section 20 consultation is required doesn't necessarily mean that it is major work that will require a project manager and, although most leases will contain clauses that allow the cost of project management to be recovered from leaseholders,...
            23-05-2022, 18:23 PM
          Working...
          X