Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lawcruncher
    replied
    Obviously if the court orders the tenant to pay the costs he has to pay them. If it does not get to court it depends, as you say, on what the lease says. The costs will not only have to be reasonable, but reasonably incurred. Consulting a solicitor, let alone starting proceedings, should be a last resort.

I meant to mention in my last post that there may be a need to go through a tribunal before going to court. Others with more knowledge on the procedural aspects will be able to advise on that.

Leave a comment:

• Ollie2000
    replied
    Thanks lawcruncher. I take it the leaseholder would normally be liable to pay my legal costs, should it come to it (I will double check what the lease says)

Leave a comment:

• Lawcruncher
    replied
    The problem here is that it is one thing having a clause in a lease which seems to give you what you need and quite another enforcing it. What it comes down to is that you need to get the leaseholder to let the builder in. If he flatly refuses the only option is a court order. Before applying to the court (which has to be a step taken only after the most careful consideration) it is advisable to give the leaseholder every opportunity to comply. I think the next step is to write to the leaseholder along the following lines:

I refer to clauses [quote the relevant clauses] in your lease and to the notice dated [insert date of notice]. No action has been taken by you to carry out the repairs referred to in the notice. Accordingly, in accordance with clause [insert clause number] you are required to alllow access to your flat to enable workmen to carry out the necessary work and to reimburse the cost incurred. Please contact [insert name of contact] to arrange a date and time for workmen to call.

In the absence of your failure either to carry out the necessary work yourself or allow workmen to attend, the matter will be put in the hands of a solicitor.

If you like you can deliver a separate letter headed "WITHOUT PREJUDICE" along the following lines:

I am rather disappointed to note that you have not carried out the necessary repairs to your flat despite having promised to do so. The present situation cannot be allowed to continue as the failure to carry out the repairs is affecting the building and other flat owners. I do not wish to have to resort to the measures referred in the formal notice served on you today and hope that we can sort the matter out informally. I am happy to meet you to discuss the best way forward.

Leave a comment:

• Freeholder's right to enter leasehold premises to carry out repairs

I bought the freehold to a small block of flats, of which I own (and let) one, as the previous freeholder didn't maintain the building and I couldn't persuade enough of the other leaseholders to agree to set up our own RTM company. I have finally got everyone paying the service charge and am (very slowly) undertaking the long-needed repairs, which, on the whole, is appreciated by the leaseholders and/or their tenants.

The problem I have is this: one of the leaseholders (who lives in his flat) has got a rotten window (without a lintel) and a constantly running overflow, both of which are affecting other flats and the building as a whole. When I rang the leaseholder and asked him to address the problems (as they are his responsibility), he said he would, but hasn't. I then wrote to him formally ('served notice'), requiring him to carry out the repairs within 30 days, as set out in the terms of his lease, but he has ignored the letter (which I hand delivered) and me when I went round to talk to him about it.

The lease states that 'if the Tenant (leaseholder) shall not within one month after service of such notice proceed diligently with the execution of the repairs then to allow the Landlord (freeholder) to enter upon the demised premises and execute the repairs and the cost thereof shall be a debt due to the Landlord from the Tenant and be forthwith recoverable by action'

I am not sure what to do next - order the replacement window, arrange for my builder to come out and write to the leaseholder informing him of the time and date of the proposed repairs? The builder will need access to the flat, I don't have the key and I'm sure the leaseholder wouldn't answer the door (or even be in). I know there are a few threads about this, but (as you'd expect) they all seem to be from the leaseholder's point of view. Also, even if I do gain access and get the repairs done, how easy will it be to recover the money from him? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Do I need consent from my Freeholder to make alterations
    by SKennedy
    I've recently purchased a 1970 maisonette and want to get on with some renovations including the removal of a non-load bearing stud wall (verified) between the kitchen and the living room. I have asked my Freeholder to clarify if I require consent to alter given the following clauses in my lease: (this...
    28-09-2020, 15:56 PM
  • RTM setup for 1 estate comprised of 2 blocks
    by stokey83
    Hello,
    We are 2 blocks separated physically but located at the same address with one freeholder.
    We will be exercising our RTM with a large majority and we pay the SC in the same pot.
    We meet all criteria as qualifying tenants etc.
    Based on current law I understand 2 RTM companies...
    28-09-2020, 15:26 PM
  • Reply to Freeholder owns a number of leases, is this something to avoid?
    by andybenw
    I agree that you should have a very careful look at the condition of the building and what maintenance has taken place historically. The situation may be an advantage if the freeholder is intent on keeping the building in good condition due to the number of leases he/his family hold. Equally if all...
    28-09-2020, 10:45 AM
  • Freeholder owns a number of leases, is this something to avoid?
    by phatfish
    I am buying a flat in a block of 11 where the landlord is a small company with two directors. One happens to be the owner of the lease i would take possession of.

The other does not own any of the leases directly, but some family members own at least 4 of them (maybe one or two more, i...
    27-09-2020, 17:43 PM
    by Section20z
    You need to be looking carefully at the service charge and how well the block is maintained. You could take the contrary view that they have a vested interest in maintaining the property and keeping costs reasonable.
    28-09-2020, 10:28 AM
  • 13 year back bill from freeholder
    by Carolinelambie21
    Hi , I can see a few topics similar to this but wanted some clarification.
    our freeholder hasn’t billed us since we bought our flat 13 years ago despite us asking him to.
    now we have notified we are selling so he has finally issued us a bill going back to 2007 for
    ground rent...
    28-09-2020, 08:06 AM
  • Reply to 13 year back bill from freeholder
    by Section20z
    No he can't but yes he can. If you are selling you really don't have much choice, if you begin a dispute then you will need to inform potential buyers who may be put off.
    If he's approachable why not offer 50% in full and final settlement, assuming you are obliged to pay insurance and electricity...
    28-09-2020, 08:18 AM
    by Macromia
    All leaseholders should be treated equally and in accordance with the terms of the lease. Unfortunately this isn't always what happens.

Hypothetically, you have the same protections where the freeholder is a company owned by leaseholders, and run by directors who have a controlling interest,...
    28-09-2020, 01:19 AM
  • LPE1 Questions
    by comm1985
    For the purposes of LPE1 could someone clarify the below:

1. Slightly confused by the terms 'Managed Area' and 'Common Parts'. For a building of 4 standalone flats with no communal areas or entrances.

a) I assume the "Managed Area" is the building containing the...
    27-09-2020, 18:28 PM
  • Reply to LPE1 Questions
    by Macromia
    Managed area will include the building and any grounds, gardens, outbuildings, etc., basically anything that the leaseholders may be required to contribute to the maintenance of via service charges.

Common parts would include communal corridors, gardens, etc., and may also include parts...
    28-09-2020, 01:08 AM
Working...
X