Freeholder's right to enter leasehold premises to carry out repairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freeholder's right to enter leasehold premises to carry out repairs

I bought the freehold to a small block of flats, of which I own (and let) one, as the previous freeholder didn't maintain the building and I couldn't persuade enough of the other leaseholders to agree to set up our own RTM company. I have finally got everyone paying the service charge and am (very slowly) undertaking the long-needed repairs, which, on the whole, is appreciated by the leaseholders and/or their tenants.

The problem I have is this: one of the leaseholders (who lives in his flat) has got a rotten window (without a lintel) and a constantly running overflow, both of which are affecting other flats and the building as a whole. When I rang the leaseholder and asked him to address the problems (as they are his responsibility), he said he would, but hasn't. I then wrote to him formally ('served notice'), requiring him to carry out the repairs within 30 days, as set out in the terms of his lease, but he has ignored the letter (which I hand delivered) and me when I went round to talk to him about it.

The lease states that 'if the Tenant (leaseholder) shall not within one month after service of such notice proceed diligently with the execution of the repairs then to allow the Landlord (freeholder) to enter upon the demised premises and execute the repairs and the cost thereof shall be a debt due to the Landlord from the Tenant and be forthwith recoverable by action'

I am not sure what to do next - order the replacement window, arrange for my builder to come out and write to the leaseholder informing him of the time and date of the proposed repairs? The builder will need access to the flat, I don't have the key and I'm sure the leaseholder wouldn't answer the door (or even be in). I know there are a few threads about this, but (as you'd expect) they all seem to be from the leaseholder's point of view. Also, even if I do gain access and get the repairs done, how easy will it be to recover the money from him? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

The problem here is that it is one thing having a clause in a lease which seems to give you what you need and quite another enforcing it. What it comes down to is that you need to get the leaseholder to let the builder in. If he flatly refuses the only option is a court order. Before applying to the court (which has to be a step taken only after the most careful consideration) it is advisable to give the leaseholder every opportunity to comply. I think the next step is to write to the leaseholder along the following lines:

I refer to clauses [quote the relevant clauses] in your lease and to the notice dated [insert date of notice]. No action has been taken by you to carry out the repairs referred to in the notice. Accordingly, in accordance with clause [insert clause number] you are required to alllow access to your flat to enable workmen to carry out the necessary work and to reimburse the cost incurred. Please contact [insert name of contact] to arrange a date and time for workmen to call.

In the absence of your failure either to carry out the necessary work yourself or allow workmen to attend, the matter will be put in the hands of a solicitor.

If you like you can deliver a separate letter headed "WITHOUT PREJUDICE" along the following lines:

I am rather disappointed to note that you have not carried out the necessary repairs to your flat despite having promised to do so. The present situation cannot be allowed to continue as the failure to carry out the repairs is affecting the building and other flat owners. I do not wish to have to resort to the measures referred in the formal notice served on you today and hope that we can sort the matter out informally. I am happy to meet you to discuss the best way forward.

Comment

Thanks lawcruncher. I take it the leaseholder would normally be liable to pay my legal costs, should it come to it (I will double check what the lease says)

Comment

Obviously if the court orders the tenant to pay the costs he has to pay them. If it does not get to court it depends, as you say, on what the lease says. The costs will not only have to be reasonable, but reasonably incurred. Consulting a solicitor, let alone starting proceedings, should be a last resort.

I meant to mention in my last post that there may be a need to go through a tribunal before going to court. Others with more knowledge on the procedural aspects will be able to advise on that.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• RTM - Admin Fees Charged by Freeholder
          by chris1544
          We have RTM in place for our two flat building. Recently the other leaseholder put in a request to the RTM company to install an air vent. I duly wrote to the freeholder, notifying them of our intention to grant approval for the works, giving them the statutory 30 days notice.

They have...
          12-08-2020, 11:04 AM
        • Reply to RTM - Admin Fees Charged by Freeholder
          by Lorimer
          There isn't much case law on this but even when an RTM is in place and it is the RTM that is responsible for dealing with consents, I believe the freeholder CAN charge a reasonable admin fee simply for the freeholder's time in reviewing the consent application. This is because the RTM company cannot...
          12-08-2020, 20:33 PM
        • Reply to Late ground rent payment charge & legal fees no warnings
          by Stew
          sounds like a major win
          12-08-2020, 20:22 PM
        • Late ground rent payment charge & legal fees no warnings
          by KingstonBee
          Wonder if you can help... This week I have received a Court Claim form pack with what seems to include a ‘particulars of claim’ and ‘lease’ for ‘outstanding arrears of Ground rent and insurance’.

Now this is a huge shock as I’ve not received any letters at all, no emails or phone...
          10-06-2020, 20:13 PM
        • Reply to Can I let this freehold indefinately ?
          by ChrisDennison
          Well but who’s to judge that intention? If I as the freeholder only want women, kids and one armed pirates in my block of flats and therefore put a restriction of use to that extent in the lease isn’t that my pretty unambiguous intention?

Well put. I have a property with...
          12-08-2020, 19:14 PM
        • Can I let this freehold indefinately ?
          by Boab
          Is there any reason why I cannot let a freehold flat on a two flat maisonette where there are two freeholders with a deed of covenant between the two to cover such issues as maintaining the property? There appears to be nothing in the covenant restricting renting my property out and it’s been done...
          10-08-2020, 06:12 AM
        • Reply to Late ground rent payment charge & legal fees no warnings
          by KingstonBee
          FYI - I pressed and stated facts and quoted the law etc and they eventually backed down... Mega Chuffed. Didn’t even have to pay any of the legal fees or additional costs. It helps that in the lease as mentioned they had to email or send mail via recorded delivery... Their legal team agreed and dropped...
          12-08-2020, 19:00 PM
        • EGM via Zoom breach of GDPR
          by Stacker
          Our directors refuse to call meeting and now are using some government quote Corporate Insolvency and Govt Act 2020 Section 37 and Schedule 14 of the Act..basically the articles don't say we can hold electronic meetings so can they be held via zoom?
          12-08-2020, 17:53 PM
        • Reply to Variation of lease
          by Gordon999
          Many flats with ground rent increasing every 10 years are not able to get a mortgage loan . Taylor Wimpey have set a side £130 Mil for correcting the ground rent demands in their leases . If your flat was built by this company, you should contact the company for correction of the lease.
          12-08-2020, 17:41 PM
        • Variation of lease
          by scampicat
          I own a flat with a lease of 125 years starting from 2012. The ground rent is at present £150 pa, but increases as follows every ten years: £225... .£337.50.... 506.25.... 759.38.... 1139.06.... 1708.59.... 2562.89 ....3844.34. There are no more increases after eighty years. I am considering a variation...
          25-02-2020, 08:57 AM
        Working...
        X