Query: can the freeholder not be the lessor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Query: can the freeholder not be the lessor?

Yesterday I received the copies of the title registers for a flat I have purchased. I am confused over the why the lessor is not the freeholder. I am talking to my solicitor about this on Monday, but I would like any background information in the meantime.

Let me explain:
    - My flat is one of two in a Victorian conversion. Let's call mine Flat A, and the other Flat B.
    - The previous owner (Owner P) owned the whole house (although it had been two separate flats for over 30 years).
    - Owner P sold on the two flats separately at approximately the same time to me (Owner Q, Flat A) and another (Owner R, Flat B).

I have received two copies of the title register:
    1. The freehold title for the whole house, which has Owner Q and Owner R listed as proprietors (as expected).
    2. The leasehold title, for Flat A, which lists the parties as Owner P and Owner Q, and the proprietor as Owner Q. The lease is 999 years.
    (The lease itself lists Owner P as the Landlord, and Owner Q as the tenant.)

I would have thought the Q and R, as the joint freeholders, would be the lessor? Can anyone shed some light on this?
    Last edited by stedyjelly; 26-02-2015, 12:05 PM. Reason: editorial.

P grants lease to Q and R.

Later P transfers freehold to Q and R.

Comment

Once a lease has been granted that is it. You do not need a new one when the freeholder changes.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X