Enforcing charge agreement through bankruptcy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enforcing charge agreement through bankruptcy

I have previously explained my claim for almost £40,000 against the owner of the head lease in my building, for emergency structural repairs, loss of rent and damages.
    After refusing to agree to arbitration for many months, the head lessee's solicitor has now agreed in principle to register a charge against the head lease, to settle my claim.
    However, the lessor has lived in the property with her daughter for many years and she could pass the property on to her daughter. I suspect that she believes that I will therefore be unable to enforce the charge.
    I anticipate that I should insist on a time limit for the sale of the property as a condition of the agreement, and a standard 8% per annum on the amount. If she refuses this offer, I would hope that if the case goes to court the judge would grant a summary judgment.
    However, are there any special circumstances which would allow me to have the property sold in order to obtain the amount of the charge.

When a charge is registered against the property title at Land Registry, it should block any transfer until the charge is withdrawn. Have you checked with Land Registry ?

Comment

Originally posted by BoruB View Post
      I have previously explained my claim for almost £40,000 against the owner of the head lease in my building, for emergency structural repairs, loss of rent and damages.
      [...]
      However, the lessor has lived in the property with her daughter for many years and she could pass the property on to her daughter. I suspect that she believes that I will therefore be unable to enforce the charge.
      Somehow those two don't add up to me?

You have a claim against the head lessor, so presumably you're the head lessee and your losses were due to you not being able to profit under your sub lease?

How can the head lessor live in the property though, they have given away possession of it through the lease?

Or are you talking about another property that the same person owns? In that case, you can get a charging order against that property. But remember that a charging order doesn't mean you get your money back. It simply means that the charged property cannot be transferred before the order is satisfied. So if the lessor simply continues to own the property you won't see any money - unless you ask for an order of sale from the court under part 73 of the CPR.

Comment

Don't bother or even contemplate putting a charge on the property !

If the leaseholder lives for the next 40 years you will never get your money back to enjoy.

Take the freeholder to court, via initialy going to the F.T.T. ( was the L.V.T. ) and determine that the lease was not upheld, and you paid out £ 40000, and you want it back.

Simples.

Comment

Presumably the OP has considered putting a charge onto the property because the head lessor doesn't have any other assets?

Otherwise I agree with ram, other enforcement methods will normally be more suitable to get money back quickly - but a charging order does have its benefits because once it is on the property there is no hiding of assets any more. And as I mentioned above, an order for sale of the asset can also be sought, which normally gives the claimant the rights to pursue the sale. This is a very beneficial position to be in...

So it all depends - as always

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Building works & S20 process
            by scot22
            It is relatively simple to administer process. However, definitely engage professional to define necessary work and project manage.

If I can, anybody can.
            21-05-2022, 20:19 PM
          • Building works & S20 process
            by RichA
            Hi. I have a freehold after selling a leasehold flat in a block of 4 flats. We don't currently have a managing agent, so these duties currently fall to me (I am holding off appointing a managing agent whilst the leaseholders consider whether they want to RTM).

The block needs some maintenance...
            21-05-2022, 17:20 PM
          • collective enfranchisement
            by flyingfreehold
            Does a leaseholder have to be a registered proprietor to join a collective? Or is it sufficient for her/his/it to be a transferee whose interest is not yet registered?
            21-05-2022, 18:51 PM
          • Reply to collective enfranchisement
            by Tipper
            Ask lease-advice.org
            21-05-2022, 18:59 PM
          • Reply to Levy
            by scot22
            Thanks Gordon. There was no info other than amount and invoice which explained nothing !
            21-05-2022, 17:16 PM
          • Reply to Share of feehold/shared service charges?
            by Macromia
            They are correct that the purchase of the freehold has no relevance (although it would allow the three of you to alter the leases if you are all in agreement).

Unless you alter the leases you continue to split service charge costs according to what the terms of your leases say - sharing...
            21-05-2022, 17:14 PM
          • Changes to lease wording
            by bigalxyz
            In the process of buying freehold for our building. 9 participants (from 11 flats).

Our solicitor will extend leases to 999 years for an additional fee if we want to. She has asked, as part of that extension process:

“Are there any amendments that you are seeking to make...
            14-05-2022, 12:27 PM
          • Reply to Changes to lease wording
            by Lawcruncher
            If the leases are going to be for 999 years there is not a lot of point imposing a restriction in such terms. It is also open to interpretation. You have to decide first if you are going to allow subletting at all. That has to depend on what people want. If any owner already sublets then you cannot...
            21-05-2022, 17:09 PM
          • Reply to Levy
            by Macromia
            ...And it still going to depend on what it is for (and on what your lease allows to be charged for, and when.

Service charge demands have to include details such as a service address for the freeholder, and have to be accompanied by an appropriate copy of 'leaseholders rights and responsibilities',...
            21-05-2022, 16:53 PM
          • Reply to Changes to lease wording
            by Lawcruncher
            The solicitor has said: "Are there any amendments that you are seeking to make to the leases once you have acquired the freehold? Any important amendments should be detailed in the PA so that the parties know they are bound to comply later on. Please do let me know your thoughts." That is...
            21-05-2022, 16:49 PM
          Working...
          X