Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Definition of 'family' and 'occupation of'

Hello lease experts.

I have the following clause in my lease and I believe no others of relevance to sub letting:

Not to use the premises hereby demised or the permit the same to be used for any purpose whatsoever other than as a single private dwelling house in the occupation of the lessee and his family

So having lived in the flat for 2 years I now need to work overseas for a couple of years and need to approach the subletting problem. The free holder has made it very clear that they expect a significant premium to vary the lease and that subletting is not allowed. They explained quite aggressively that I could forfeit the lease if I am found in breach!

So before I go and get specific legal advice I wonder if there are cases where the definitions of 'family' have been challenged (could it include a friend?) and what 'occupancy' actually means.

Any other advice very much appreciated.

I wonder if you could 'adopt' your prospective tenant, so that he is a member of your family.
    To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

It's a nice idea, but think UK law only allows adoption of those under the age of 18

Comment

Further info is that the Managing Company have said verbally that consent will not be granted if asked for - only option is varying the lease. Is it better to still formally apply for consent so I have evidence of their unreasonable approach?

Comment

If the lease expressly forbids subletting and there is no provision for the FH to grant or permission or not unreasonably withhold permission, then they can't grant permission anyway.

As far a varying the lease, my understanding is that all the other lessees would have to agree as this would alter the terms of their leases too. I may be wrong though.

You need to read your lease thoroughly to identify if there are any other clauses relating to subletting and permission. If they are not there then I don't think you can sublet and the FH can't authorise it either.

Comment

They cant grant permission if the lease has no such clause but they could vary the lease via a deed of variation, but this would be a major change and could come at some cost and the FH would have to agree with the change and as there is no real benefit to him (in fact subletting generally only causes further hassle and expense) he could for example desire that the clause reads 'subletting to be allowed upon the payment of an annual sum of £20,000.

If a LH really wanted to sublet he should of leased a property that allowed it, or like mine is silent on the issue.
            Advice given is based on my experience representing myself as a leaseholder both in the County Court and at Leasehold Valuation Tribunals.

I do not accept any liability to you in relation to the advice given.

It is always recommended you seek further advice from a solicitor or legal expert.

Always read your lease first, it is the legally binding contract between leaseholder and freeholder.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to collective enfranchisement
              by flyingfreehold
              at risk of answering my own question, the leaseholder has to prove title which is a bit difficult if not registered........
              21-05-2022, 21:23 PM
            • collective enfranchisement
              by flyingfreehold
              Does a leaseholder have to be a registered proprietor to join a collective? Or is it sufficient for her/his/it to be a transferee whose interest is not yet registered?
              21-05-2022, 18:51 PM
            • Reply to Building works & S20 process
              by scot22
              It is relatively simple to administer process. However, definitely engage professional to define necessary work and project manage.

If I can, anybody can.
              21-05-2022, 20:19 PM
            • Building works & S20 process
              by RichA
              Hi. I have a freehold after selling a leasehold flat in a block of 4 flats. We don't currently have a managing agent, so these duties currently fall to me (I am holding off appointing a managing agent whilst the leaseholders consider whether they want to RTM).

The block needs some maintenance...
              21-05-2022, 17:20 PM
            • Reply to collective enfranchisement
              by Tipper
              Ask lease-advice.org
              21-05-2022, 18:59 PM
            • Reply to Levy
              by scot22
              Thanks Gordon. There was no info other than amount and invoice which explained nothing !
              21-05-2022, 17:16 PM
            • Reply to Share of feehold/shared service charges?
              by Macromia
              They are correct that the purchase of the freehold has no relevance (although it would allow the three of you to alter the leases if you are all in agreement).

Unless you alter the leases you continue to split service charge costs according to what the terms of your leases say - sharing...
              21-05-2022, 17:14 PM
            • Changes to lease wording
              by bigalxyz
              In the process of buying freehold for our building. 9 participants (from 11 flats).

Our solicitor will extend leases to 999 years for an additional fee if we want to. She has asked, as part of that extension process:

“Are there any amendments that you are seeking to make...
              14-05-2022, 12:27 PM
            • Reply to Changes to lease wording
              by Lawcruncher
              If the leases are going to be for 999 years there is not a lot of point imposing a restriction in such terms. It is also open to interpretation. You have to decide first if you are going to allow subletting at all. That has to depend on what people want. If any owner already sublets then you cannot...
              21-05-2022, 17:09 PM
            • Reply to Levy
              by Macromia
              ...And it still going to depend on what it is for (and on what your lease allows to be charged for, and when.

Service charge demands have to include details such as a service address for the freeholder, and have to be accompanied by an appropriate copy of 'leaseholders rights and responsibilities',...
              21-05-2022, 16:53 PM
            Working...
            X