Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Benefit of FTT determinations?

Evening all,

When a lessee applies to the FTT for a determination of service charge, does that determination automatically apply to all lessees, or do they need to apply to the FTT for it to be made to their accounts?
    To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Only th applicants. Other can join in or use that determination in their own applications. Sometimes it can apply broadly depending on the expense type and ruling ie the legal costs against you cannot be applied to the service charge.,
    Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Thanks LHA. Do my fellow lessees have to pay another lot of fees, and have hearings then?

Presumably the FTT would have the same findings in all the others' cases, so would it not be in everyone's interests for the freeholder not to make them go to those lengths? Is there a quicker (and cheaper) way?
      To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
        Is there a quicker (and cheaper) way?
        Adding them all as parties?

Comment

Thanks Matt. Is it possible to add them as parties after the determination has been made?

Comment

Normally you can only add parties to proceedings whilst they are still underway - otherwise it would be a little unfair to apply a judgement (or adjudication in a tribunal) to parties who had no right to state their case

Comment

mattl,

Thanks. Yes, that's what I expected. Of course, now it seems unfair that my fellow lessees will have to pay over £1000 more than me. Maybe LHA will be able to shed more light tomorrow.

Comment

You have 2 choices.

You apply on your own to the FTT. at £ x

You can apply in the name of all leasholders at the same time for £ x

Each application of course requires it's own fee to be sent in, so of course if only you apply, then if others apply after you, again of course they will have to pay their own application fee.

It's easy to get the other leaseholders to apply with you, and split the costs.

Comment

Originally posted by ram View Post
                  It's easy to get the other leaseholders to apply with you, and split the costs.
                  Ha ha. Thanks Ram. You don't know the other leaseholders.

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
                    Ha ha. Thanks Ram. You don't know the other leaseholders.
                    Yes I do ! their brothers / sisters / ex husbands ex wives are here. Same problem here.
                    All you can do is send a standard letter to all stating what you are going to do, and the costs to be split by the number of applicants should they wish to join you.

But you just may have been asking a generic question, of "What if you claimed", will it apply to the others, and answer is no, not if they did not apply.
                    But they can use your FTT determination to get a very quick determination for themselves, saying look, same service charges, same place, 5 minutes of your time, job done. ( assuming you win )

Comment

It's very simple. Parties to the proceedings share the cost risk of the proceedings so they will jointly benefit from the adjudication. Other parties do neither of the two

Comment

Our local LVT insisted on separate applications, each paying individual fee, even though all complained on same grounds. The LVT selected one representative case to hear.

Only applicants benefited from the 'outcome'. Sting is that all flats, whether joined or not, have to pay legal costs if the lease allows. Even if applicants win s20C (we didn't) this doesn't prevent landlord charging other flats their portion of his costs.

Best advice is to pay first, complain to Tribunal after or just sell. Never get taken to Tribunal or you will face costs alone.

LVT was never a low cost option and far as I know the new FTT has unlimited costs? Abandon hope...
                        Do not read my offerings, based purely on my research or experience as a lessee, as legal advice. If you need legal advice please see a solicitor.

Comment

Thanks Mr Soffit. Yeah, I paid up within a fortnight of the bill, back in August, and took management co to FTT. It cost me £125 for my application and another £190 for the hearing.

FTT have found in my favour, reducing bill by over £1000. They have ordered my fees to be refunded, and ordered a S20C, that I applied for.

Interesting that other flats can be charged for the management co's legal fees. Did someone forget to put that in the legislation?

Comment

There is no standard procedure others can join the process or separate applications are made and the T asked to merge them into one hearing, though best of all is to all apply as one.

S20c is a bit of " thats not what you asked for" as if asked correctly the landlord can be barred from adding cost to the service charges period not simply adding it to the service charge and crediting applicants against that element and charging everyone else their %
                            Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

S20C appeal

My freeholder's agents have applied to appeal the S20C decision because I was not 100% successful in my application. As I asked the FTT to look at all items, for me to have been 100% successful, the service charge would have to have been reduced to nothing.

Any thoughts?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Residents Management Company Building insurance
                                by GordonClose
                                I am a Director of an RMC and the Freeholder insists it is their right to arrange the insurance. Have I the same right as an RTM to take over the arrangement of insurance?
                                15-08-2022, 14:26 PM
                              • Reply to Residents Management Company Building insurance
                                by fos333
                                This is a very usual arrangement where the freeholder pockets all the gains, i.e., ground rent and insurance (possibly including a large commission) and the RMC is responsible for managing all the repair and maintenance obligations (either by self managing or appointing a managing agent).
                                17-08-2022, 20:48 PM
                              • Reply to Sale of Freehold - Tax to Pay
                                by sgclacy
                                If the total gains are below the Annual Exemption and total proceeds does not exceed four times the Annual Exemption, you are not required to report the matter to HMRC

However, as I suspected the company held the freehold in trust for you, you should have reported the ground rent income...
                                17-08-2022, 20:31 PM
                              • Sale of Freehold - Tax to Pay
                                by divadee
                                Hi, I hope I can write this in a clear way that makes sense!

We bought a leaseholders flat in 2016, the next year we bought the limited company that held the freehold. This was done as no other leaseholder were interested in buying the freehold a few months prior to us buying our leasehold...
                                16-08-2022, 16:37 PM
                                by flyingfreehold
                                It seems that its all worked out pretty favourably. Well done!
                                17-08-2022, 19:52 PM
                                by divadee
                                You have said exactly what the accountants said to us today. Basically the freehold was never added to the limited company as an asset (before we bought it) and as such it would just be cgt that was due and as its only 8k no cgt is due. They said not to bother with a return for it. We are having the...
                                17-08-2022, 19:22 PM
                              • Electric meter Freeholder or leaseholder
                                by CLProperties
                                I manage a property with four flats. The landlord owns the freehold for the flats and is also the leaseholder for the two downstairs flats.

The leasehold of the two upstairs flats is owned by someone else who employs a managing agent. The managing agent has contacted me about an issue...
                                17-08-2022, 15:53 PM
                              • Reply to Electric meter Freeholder or leaseholder
                                by CLProperties
                                Many thanks for your responses.

I did deal with the query. It just seemed excessive to ask me to get involved.

Thanks again for the information about meters.

Always learning....
                                17-08-2022, 19:03 PM
                              • Reply to Right To Pass and Re-Pass (Not to Obstruct)
                                by Lawcruncher
                                It is.

On reflection the covenant may not be enforceable as it is a covenant by the tenant with the landlord. It will only be enforceable if your lease gives you the right to require the landlord to enforce the covenants in the other lease. That will though lead to a bit of a conundrum...
                                17-08-2022, 18:13 PM
                              • Right To Pass and Re-Pass (Not to Obstruct)
                                by LondonCalling
                                I am the owner/occupier of a leasehold first floor flat in a converted property consisting of two flats. The freeholder owns and is the occupier of the ground floor leasehold flat. There is a passageway/right of way from the road along the side of the building to my ground floor front door entrance....
                                16-08-2022, 16:26 PM
                              Working...
                              X