Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Limitation - Six v Twelve years

Everyones favourite question is back.

A recent UT decision is here > http://www.landstribunal.gov.uk/judg...RX-55-2011.pdf

And the winner is............*drum roll*..12 years..probably

The conclusion is that the law says its 12 years but an FTT still has the power to strike out a claim for being unreasonable if the LH waiting so long to make a claim, which is kind of fair but many LH, me included, didn't sit there twiddling their thumbs 10 years ago, its just that we were completely ignorant of our rights.

I note that they mention Section 32 of the Limitation Act, one of my personal faves now, as I used it successfully to claim back OVER 12 years of GR overpayments.
    Advice given is based on my experience representing myself as a leaseholder both in the County Court and at Leasehold Valuation Tribunals.

I do not accept any liability to you in relation to the advice given.

It is always recommended you seek further advice from a solicitor or legal expert.

Always read your lease first, it is the legally binding contract between leaseholder and freeholder.

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Service charges according to floorspace vs lease stipulation
    by Santa Fe
    Hello. I own a flat in a block of four. The new owner of the smallest flat is disputing their contribution to service charges based on floor size. All four flats have historically paid 25% each, but of the four leases only mine states that I pay 25%. I have spoken with a solicitor about this and he...
    24-01-2022, 22:55 PM
  • Reply to Service charges according to floorspace vs lease stipulation
    by Lawcruncher
    Whether the complaining owner goes to a tribunal or a court, I think that on any assessment a basement bedsit paying the same as a two bedroom flat is not "fair and reasonable". You do not really want to be getting into tribunals or the like. I suggest you propose that the two bedroom flats...
    26-01-2022, 09:01 AM
  • Reply to AGM cancelled.
    by Andrea Cunningham
    Call an EGM. Make sure you give proper notice and that it is legal (download a boilerplate notice off the internet). In that EGM you can vote new directors in, or even vote the old directors out.
    26-01-2022, 07:14 AM
  • AGM cancelled.
    by Grumio
    Is this legal?

A bit of background, we currently have three directors, we are allowed to have up to a maximum of eight directors according to the articles of association. We are all leaseholders. Last summer the three directors decided to hire a managing agent who is now in charge of the...
    26-01-2022, 00:46 AM
  • Lease extension triggers doubling ground rent change
    by SouthernDave
    Has anyone had dealing with doubling ground rents?
    i have just asked for a quote for a lease extension and they are proposing new ground rent terms of a doubling ground rent every 25 years. My commercial guy has said some lenders don't like these which may reduce the value of the property of i...
    25-01-2022, 22:53 PM
  • What can I do about my right of way.
    by Trevor62
    I live in the upper flat of a maisonette, I have a right of way that goes around the back of the building from the side entrance, there are only two flats in the building.

Anyway for years there has been a gate with a lock to go through the right of way, now for the past year the flat has...
    23-01-2022, 23:01 PM
  • Reply to What can I do about my right of way.
    by Trevor62

This is the ROW as it is in the land registry.

Can I ask another question?

As you can read it says Boundary determined by edge of pavings. Before the other party moved out they built a fence along the boundary though they build it on my side of the...
    25-01-2022, 20:58 PM
  • Reply to Enfranchising from a company I'm already a member of.
    by Andrea Cunningham
    As I said right at the beginning, there are some very sound reasons to do this which I wasn't going to go into. Suffice it to say that the current situation is one where the building I live in suffers under the tyranny of the majority of the larger building. So what is being sought is genuine control...
    25-01-2022, 20:24 PM
  • Enfranchising from a company I'm already a member of.
    by Andrea Cunningham
    The estate I live on has 2 blocks. All the leaseholders are members of the company which owns the freehold and manages the block ("Share of freehold").

Suppose one of the 2 blocks decides to go it alone - so in other words gain the freehold from a company they are already a member...
    04-10-2021, 12:07 PM
  • Reply to Enfranchising from a company I'm already a member of.
    by Andrea Cunningham
    There is already no ground rent collected - so as I understand it the value of the freehold might be quite low anyway.

If this is all done by negotiation then it is a moot point regardless, and it brings me back to what I was actually asking about, which is how to fairly and equitably split...
    25-01-2022, 20:10 PM
Working...
X