Buying 100% of the Freehold of a two leases house.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying 100% of the Freehold of a two leases house.

Hi,

In 1999 my wife and I bought the lease of the downstairs flat in a two flat converted house, there were 75 years left on the lease. Year later the leaseholder of the flat upstairs put his flat on the market, so we also bought their lease too, we became the leaseholders of both flats. As the Freeholder had been missing for many hears, we applied to the Court for a Vesting order to buy the Freehold, this was granted, we paid the Court the market value of the freehold, and became the freeholders as well as the leaseholders of this property.

The advise we received by the solicitors acting for us at the time, was that unless we applied for a Reversion, the property would not become automatically into a freehold property as it once was, but it would remain with a Freehold and two leases.

I have read opinions in another forum that this is not possible, and that when a Freehold and leasehold belongs to the same people, the leases would immediately cease to exist. Is this correct?, We are not sure as we have obtained documents from the Land Registry showing that we are currently the owners of the Freehold, and also the leaseholders of both leases.

Would appreciate your opinions.

Best regards

Alt.
    Last edited by alteano1965; 13-11-2014, 08:44 AM. Reason: Spelling

Yes and no.

By law, if the leaseholder becomes the freeholder then the lease extinguishes because one cannot grant a lease to oneself.

However, the Land Registry has stopped automatically extinguishing leases from its register so unless you apply for the two leases to be extinguished they will remain in place.

Given they will both be short leases it may be easiest to apply to the Land Registry to kill the two leases (as long as you are also shown as the freeholder which you say you are).

Once this is the case then you can either remain as the freeholder of the whole building, or if you prefer you can grant new leases for the two flats. If you do that then (if you hold the freehold together) you would need to grant leases to the two of you individually (again because one cannot grant oneself a lease).

All of this is slightly more complicated if you have a mortgagee on your flat.

Comment

And I would add that there are tax efficient ways to do this so talk to your accountant as well. For example if you extend the leases from the freehold and you transfer it to a company, then you can keep a high ground rent in the leases,, which you never pay of course but creates a valuable asset, and as a BTL landlord of the flat some SC expenses will be recoverable before tax out of rent.

I am never sure in these cases of whether as freeholder and leaseholder tax is payable on grant of lease extensions as a valuable asset has been transferred, but if so then pre transferring the freehold may mean that you pay a lower rate of tax on the value of that transaction.

it comes up quite rarely so I am just making a suggestion to explore these aspects rather than on a ignore tax basis as valuers as a rule do.
      Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• AGM cancelled.
        by Grumio
        Is this legal?

A bit of background, we currently have three directors, we are allowed to have up to a maximum of eight directors according to the articles of association. We are all leaseholders. Last summer the three directors decided to hire a managing agent who is now in charge of the...
        26-01-2022, 00:46 AM
      • Reply to AGM cancelled.
        by Grumio
        The articles state they must declare any kind of interest directly or indirectly, problem is it’s kind of hard to deal with people who keep messing everyone around, calling an AGM and then cancelling it for eg. We have called meetings with them in the past and they don’t turn up. How can you deal...
        26-01-2022, 14:35 PM
        by eagle2
        Any meeting which you decide to hold will be an informal meeting only, you do need to follow the correct procedure if you wish to hold a valid meeting,

The Articles should state whether or not directors need to declare conflicts of interest and whether or not they are entitled to vote on...
        26-01-2022, 13:30 PM
        by Grumio
        It is both a managing agent and a residence Association. But we want to go back to managing the block ourselves.

Thanks for the reply, yes invitations have been sent to all our members. And I agree, they should not cancel the AGM, especially when they haven’t got a plausible reason to...
        26-01-2022, 12:12 PM
      • Reply to Lease extension triggers doubling ground rent change
        by sgclacy
        Doubling every 25 years is simply a guess as to what inflation may be, if inflation of the current levels ( about 6% ) was to continue the real value of the rent would fall by 77% and doubling would not address the enormous damage done by inflation. However, if inflation was less than 2.81% per annum...
        26-01-2022, 11:57 AM
      • Reply to Lease extension triggers doubling ground rent change
        by Section20z
        You are clearly using the informal route and can thus negotiate whatever terms you like.
        freeholder will want to retain some ground rent but avoid the doubling clause, maybe suggest small fixed rises every ten years....
        26-01-2022, 10:40 AM
      • Service charges according to floorspace vs lease stipulation
        by Santa Fe
        Hello. I own a flat in a block of four. The new owner of the smallest flat is disputing their contribution to service charges based on floor size. All four flats have historically paid 25% each, but of the four leases only mine states that I pay 25%. I have spoken with a solicitor about this and he...
        24-01-2022, 22:55 PM
      • Reply to Service charges according to floorspace vs lease stipulation
        by Section20z
        Quite, there is also the question here of who the actual freeholder is and whether the whole thing is any concern of the OP who only ever need pay 25% !!...
        26-01-2022, 10:25 AM
        by eagle2
        Yes, I am confused too. If there is a Residents Association, it is required to comply with its constitution.

There seems to be a Company involved as well. Whether or not it is required to hold an AGM depends on its Articles, AGMs can be cancelled for various reasons, lockdowns are an example,...
        26-01-2022, 10:19 AM
      • Reply to Service charges according to floorspace vs lease stipulation
        by eagle2
        I think that we have found 3 possible alternatives already and no doubt we could find more, As Section20z says it is very rare for a court or a tribunal to intervene, The lease appears to allow the freeholder (?) to decide what is fair and reasonable and it has decided that an equal share is reasonable,...
        26-01-2022, 10:01 AM
      Working...
      X