Freeholder disclaiming fences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freeholder disclaiming fences

I have a maisonette in a low rise development of 24 similar ones in 3 blocks. When originally sold in 1984, this was a housing association joint ownership development.

The lease says:

The Lessor will well and substaintally maintain and repair all boundary walls and fences belonging to the building and/or the Estate and will so far as the same are additional to this obligation be responsible for complying with the covenants imposed upon Huntley and Palmers Limited by a Conveyance dated 8 February 1927.
    I just received a letter from the management co saying:

We understand the boundaries of each individual garden are attributed to the leaseholders, according to the marked plans attached to the leases, and therefore these are not a communal reposnsibility. We will therefore not be undertaking any further works to the fences around individual gardens. If you are uncertain whether a particular fence or wall is your responsibility, please check the marked plan attached to the lease, from when you bought the property
    I have written to the company pointing this out and requesting they confirm that they will still be maintaining the walls & fences. Surely they can't just opt out, if it's specifically mentioned in the lease?
    To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

"belonging to the building and/or the Estate" will not cover your fences if they are attributed to the leaseholders.

So unless the individual fences are covered in "the covenants imposed upon Huntley and Palmers Limited by a Conveyance dated 8 February 1927" then I think the management company is right in their approach?

Comment

I would agree adding that you have to look at the lease as to what is the building and estate not just the leaseholders plan or demise.
      Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to AGM cancelled.
        by Grumio
        The articles state they must declare any kind of interest directly or indirectly, problem is it’s kind of hard to deal with people who keep messing everyone around, calling an AGM and then cancelling it for eg. We have called meetings with them in the past and they don’t turn up. How can you deal...
        26-01-2022, 14:35 PM
      • AGM cancelled.
        by Grumio
        Is this legal?

A bit of background, we currently have three directors, we are allowed to have up to a maximum of eight directors according to the articles of association. We are all leaseholders. Last summer the three directors decided to hire a managing agent who is now in charge of the...
        26-01-2022, 00:46 AM
        by eagle2
        Any meeting which you decide to hold will be an informal meeting only, you do need to follow the correct procedure if you wish to hold a valid meeting,

The Articles should state whether or not directors need to declare conflicts of interest and whether or not they are entitled to vote on...
        26-01-2022, 13:30 PM
        by Grumio
        It is both a managing agent and a residence Association. But we want to go back to managing the block ourselves.

Thanks for the reply, yes invitations have been sent to all our members. And I agree, they should not cancel the AGM, especially when they haven’t got a plausible reason to...
        26-01-2022, 12:12 PM
      • Reply to Lease extension triggers doubling ground rent change
        by sgclacy
        Doubling every 25 years is simply a guess as to what inflation may be, if inflation of the current levels ( about 6% ) was to continue the real value of the rent would fall by 77% and doubling would not address the enormous damage done by inflation. However, if inflation was less than 2.81% per annum...
        26-01-2022, 11:57 AM
      • Reply to Lease extension triggers doubling ground rent change
        by Section20z
        You are clearly using the informal route and can thus negotiate whatever terms you like.
        freeholder will want to retain some ground rent but avoid the doubling clause, maybe suggest small fixed rises every ten years....
        26-01-2022, 10:40 AM
      • Service charges according to floorspace vs lease stipulation
        by Santa Fe
        Hello. I own a flat in a block of four. The new owner of the smallest flat is disputing their contribution to service charges based on floor size. All four flats have historically paid 25% each, but of the four leases only mine states that I pay 25%. I have spoken with a solicitor about this and he...
        24-01-2022, 22:55 PM
      • Reply to Service charges according to floorspace vs lease stipulation
        by Section20z
        Quite, there is also the question here of who the actual freeholder is and whether the whole thing is any concern of the OP who only ever need pay 25% !!...
        26-01-2022, 10:25 AM
        by eagle2
        Yes, I am confused too. If there is a Residents Association, it is required to comply with its constitution.

There seems to be a Company involved as well. Whether or not it is required to hold an AGM depends on its Articles, AGMs can be cancelled for various reasons, lockdowns are an example,...
        26-01-2022, 10:19 AM
      • Reply to Service charges according to floorspace vs lease stipulation
        by eagle2
        I think that we have found 3 possible alternatives already and no doubt we could find more, As Section20z says it is very rare for a court or a tribunal to intervene, The lease appears to allow the freeholder (?) to decide what is fair and reasonable and it has decided that an equal share is reasonable,...
        26-01-2022, 10:01 AM
      Working...
      X