TR1 - one transferor wants to add two new transferees (joint freehold)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TR1 - one transferor wants to add two new transferees (joint freehold)

Hi

One house split into three flats. As it happens us three flat owners (leaseholders) are also the three named people on the freehold title. One flat owner is selling his flat, and consequently wants to transfer the title register from his name to the new buyer. But the new buyer is a couple and they are both noted on the TR1 form (different names - ie appear to be unmarried if it makes a difference).

That looks to me like the freehold would therefore change from it's current state of having three names on it (of which I am one) to four names. Thus potentially meaning my level of influence / control / ownership would decrease to a quarter, whereas currently it is a third?! or am I reading it wrong? and perhaps it doesn't matter. I haven't signed it yet wanted to seek advice first.

Where the new buyers are 'name C and D':

In box 5 it says 'name A, name B, name C and D' so in that sense is name C and D (the new buyers) existing as one entity? (ie the 'and' is significant). Thus they still perhaps only count as one being?

Or should I be insisting that I only want one new name to go on the form to replace the one name leaving the form? Also isn't it more problematic in future as it would mean finding all four people to sign future transfer of title's etc and what if they split up and one party becomes uncooperative / goes missing etc

one other point if in the future we want to make changes that require all our agreement eg divding up the garden, would they have more 'say' than the other two freeholders individually ie they would have two votes ie there is now four 'votes' in total if you see what I mean. At the moment there is no company set up or agreement or anything I believe it is a 'Literal Shared Freehold' if that's how it's known.

thanks

Where it would be a pain is if you later decided to set up a declaration/deed of trust relating to the freehold. It would I believe make the wording a little more complex. I'm sure one of the legal eagles here will be able to advise. I would push for just 1 of their names to go on. After all 4 is the maximum and you would not be able to do the same in a subsequent sale.

Comment

It really depends whether you have any governing document which sets out the ownership and voting among you such as a declaration of trust.

If it is a beneficial joint tenancy - where the 3 people are a single owner ie the owner is Mr A Mrs B and Miss C, then a 4th name, Ms D would simply alter that, and without any documentation, there would be 1 flat with 2 votes.

If tenants in common- means the property is as above where the 3 people are a single owner, however a specific share of the value is allocated to them so that Mr C and Miss D as the new owners of flat 3 would be allocated 1/3rd and hopefully if your dealings are straightforward only one vote that they share, and hopefully not end up one of them sleeping on the couch when they disagree.

As, assuming no documentation is available to the contrary, Mr C and Miss D canot buy and Miss c cannot sell 9 the freehold) without your signature and this is the ideal time to exchange letters setting out that you get one vote, or 1 each and each other flats gets a proportion bump, in this case 2 votes per flat for all flats, or d spot of lawyer bothering and have a proper trust deed drawn up.
      http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...9t-Tell-You-P1
      Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Huge thanks. I've done a lot of reading, (read, read, and err.. re-read everything including your linked to article!) By the way yes it is a beneficial joint tenancy. I have proposed to the other leaseholder and freeholder that we do two things (I think):
        1) trust deed set up
        2) extend our leases at the same time

I will be seeing a properly solicitor who I've met with before about some other stuff to go through this. I understand your point that this is the ideal time to get these things put in place since the seller wants to sell, the buyers want to buy = they will be motivated at this point in time to get any changes we can agree on done.

Comment

Coolhands, the benefits of a deed of trust can easily be read up on inthis forum and on the net, but just be aware that in your sort of situation with only 3 flats a deed of trust can also have a 'dark side'. ie if you have a different point of view to the other 2 flats they could consistently outvote you, even if their ideas are terrible. This was certainly the case with me until I proved a purported deed null and void.

Comment

its a good point and in my waffling in the FAQs a key point in a trust deed or company articles is to include dispute resolution e.g. mediation or arbitration rather than having to resort to injunctions.
            Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Bullying from a joint freeholder
              by Stew
              That seems like a great idea letting out a spare room. Make sure its someone who would not feel intimidated. Also agree with Xmas cards every bit helps. Also tell all contractors not to engage with them at all and ignore them....
              26-11-2021, 15:05 PM
            • Bullying from a joint freeholder
              by goodgirlLondon
              Hey, I would really like some advice about this as I am a female who lives alone and I am getting worried. The couple who I share the freehold with (just 2 flats in the house), dont get along and we have had problems agreeing over maintenance. I avoid them as much as possible but a neighbour told me...
              23-11-2021, 17:13 PM
              by goodgirlLondon
              Hey, I have thought about renting but I love my flat and had expensive new kitchen put in. Not sure I would be happy if tenants damaged. Also, I think that my mortgage restricts letting out my flat. I love the area and was happy until the couple took over the joint freehold. I might get a tenant to...
              26-11-2021, 10:31 AM
            • Reply to Service charge arrears
              by lampshade
              Yes of course I do not need to know any details other than the current situation. So I will ask and see if I get a reply....
              26-11-2021, 10:02 AM
            • Service charge arrears
              by lampshade
              If I asked the managing agents for a situation report regarding overall arrears of service charge, are they duty bound to let me know. not by flat,of course, but as a % of total invoiced, with info regarding length of arrears?
              26-11-2021, 07:54 AM
              by eagle2
              There is no reason why you cannot request and no reason why the managing agent cannot supply general information regarding the level of service charge arrears. It would only become an issue if any personal information was supplied or could be identified,
              26-11-2021, 09:24 AM
              by lampshade
              OK....no i am not one of those........ but seems odd then that the managing agent was very quick to tell all leaseholders in writing that a certain % of leaseholders had paid in advance of a large section 20, by way of coercion to those who had not paid.
              26-11-2021, 08:39 AM
              by Section20z
              Only if you're the freeholder or employer (RMC etc), not if you are just a flat owner...
              26-11-2021, 08:10 AM
              by Stew
              Have you thought about renting the place and just giving the old neighbour an email address for communication with an auto response saying I only pick up email from this account once a month. Not ideal but another option.
              25-11-2021, 22:45 PM
            • Reply to Access to my garden for upstairs neighbour's loft conversion
              by sampsam
              Neelix cheers for that. My ground floor flat doesn't 'border' with any of the areas that the top floor flat will be developing (the roof and outside terrace). Do i still need party wall?
              25-11-2021, 22:37 PM
            Working...
            X