buying freehold,what happens to ground rent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

buying freehold,what happens to ground rent?

i am buying the freehold of a house where i will occupy the groundfloor and there is a long leaseholder upstairs. What happens to the ground rent that the leasholder has paid to the previous freeholder up until we buy it. I dont think the freeholder has carried out all the maintenance they were supposed to so i am wondering what happens to the ground rent they received, do they keep whatever they received up until we take possession. I havent seen the lease yet but was wondering do they have to keep the funds separately, in a sinking fund for example

1. How much is the annual ground rent ? You can ask for apportioning if it is a large amount paid at start of the year and you are completing the sale in the middle of the year? if the ground rent is say only 5 pounds, then it is too trivial to split.

2. If service charge is paid by the leaseholder to the freeholder under the lease , this money must be held separate. I suggest you read the lease first.

Comment

annual ground rent is 100 pounds. It just doesnt seem fair that she can keep the previous years ground rent and then we have to move in and pay for all the maintenance that she should have done

Comment

Well, it's all a matter of negociation isn't it? Now you ave established these facts, which preumably you were not aware of when you made your offer for the freehold you will have to renegociate the price to compensate you for the additional expense you will be involved in when maintaining the leased part of the property.

P.P.
        Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

Originally posted by Penny06 View Post
          annual ground rent is 100 pounds. It just doesnt seem fair that she can keep the previous years ground rent and then we have to move in and pay for all the maintenance that she should have done
          Maintenance should not come into it - ground rent is rent paid by the leaseholder for the ground you own which it eventually sits on, via your property on the ground floor.

The lease should be studied very carefully, as maintenance and the apportionment of costs, together with who is responsible for what will be detailed.

Incidentally, how many years are left on the lease for the flat upstairs?
          On some things I am very knowledgeable, on other things I am stupid. Trouble is, sometimes I discover that the former is the latter or vice versa, and I don't know this until later - maybe even much later. Because of the number of posts I have done, I am now a Senior Member. However, read anything I write with the above in mind.

Comment

Is ground rent payable in advance or in arrears? V cannot retain any rent paid for a period after V ceases to own f/r. Solicitors usually apportion it on Completion Statement, unless it's minimal.
            JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
            1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
            2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
            3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
            4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• 'Reasonable' ground rent collection charge?
              by Benzo
              Hi guys

We recently achieved RTM from our underperforming managing agents. We no longer pay our service charge to them. However our old managing agents still represent the freeholder, and so we still pay our ground rent to him via the old managing agents.

Following RTM, they've...
              04-01-2020, 11:32 AM
            • Reply to 'Reasonable' ground rent collection charge?
              by Benzo
              That is interesting. I will put this to our legal guys and see what they say....
              01-06-2020, 14:59 PM
            • Reply to Flat Roof used as fire escape and right of way
              by scot22
              I am always ready to reposition myself.
              it is not that they want to develop the roof in any way. Crossing it provides their only fire escape and, naturally want to preserve it.

If OP sticks it out to court I suspect it will cost quite a few thousand.

Imagine a fire and...
              01-06-2020, 14:39 PM
            • Flat Roof used as fire escape and right of way
              by RichardCardiff
              I am the Freeholder of a property and the property has an single story extension which has a flat roof. The lease holder of the flat above had the lease amended before I purchased it so that he has the right of use of the flat roof. I converted the ground floor of the property and added a basement....
              29-05-2020, 18:14 PM
            • Reply to Flat Roof used as fire escape and right of way
              by Freeholder is king
              Scott22 and i differ in what the rights are. If the top flat has a deed of variation to use the flat roof and it is unlikely they will get planning permission IF they applied for it. I would say that the freeholder could put skylights in the roof as the top flat have never used the roof or am i missing...
              01-06-2020, 14:10 PM
              by Section20z
              Charging a percentage in your case would be unreasonable as some lessees would be paying more for exactly the same service
              You stated the lease clause as being "the fees of the Lessor’s Managing Agents for the collection of the rents of the Flats in the Building AND for the general management...
              01-06-2020, 14:02 PM
            • Reply to Face to face AGM arranged?
              by scot22
              You are right. I just find things confusing !

My big concern would be the lack of notice. I am reasonably sure that no AoA would allow this.
              01-06-2020, 13:34 PM
            • Face to face AGM arranged?
              by Sandy1986
              We have been contacted today by our management company to say they are holding a face to face AGM in our car park on Wednesday evening with social distancing. This would be around 15 people minimum. As the current regulations are no more than 6 people would this apply to an AGM in these circumstances...
              01-06-2020, 09:58 AM
            • Reply to Face to face AGM arranged?
              by jpkeates
              The meeting would be allowed if it was for "work purposes", but it wouldn't be "work" for anyone other than the management committee.
              "Business" or "Commercial" aren't exceptions....
              01-06-2020, 13:07 PM
              by Benzo
              Thanks Lawcruncher, I suggested 10% plus VAT so I'm glad to see we're in a similar place on this.

You're exactly right on the formal vs informal - the informal extensions by standard for this freeholder are extending the lease to 99 years (not by 99 years) and adding clauses about ground...
              01-06-2020, 13:06 PM
            Working...
            X