Alterations and Covenants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alterations and Covenants

Hi all, I think I have a fairly straight forward question to ask so here goes.

I own the leasehold on a flat and I want to remove a small section of a non load bearing partition wall (stud work with plasterboard) between my kitchen and living room. I'm not 100% sure whether I need permission to carry out alterations or not. The MA want me to pay upfront £360 to find out and I'm not keen on doing this!

These are the only relevant parts of the lease that I can see, there is no specific mention regarding injuring maiming walls etc or any mention of permission for alterations.

Onto my lease

The Flat - All that comprising plot . . . . .Including . . . . .the internal plaster or other surfaces of load bearing and external walls and columns but one half width of any non load bearing walls or partitions dividing the flat from any other premises of the lessor which other premises are the subject of a long lease in similar terms to this or are intended to be the subject of such a lease the flooring and floor screeds the ceiling board and plaster or other surface of the ceilings and the whole of any false ceilings plus the voids between the ceilings and any false ceilings all conducting media within or exclusively servicing the flat and the fixtures and rights demised by this lease EXCLUDING the structural and load bearing walls and other such parts roof roof trusses or other supports and roof voids foundations joists external walls (up to internal plaster or other surface) the external window frames and the conducting media within but not exclusively servicing the flat
    Covenants by the lessee with the lessor and the management company and the lessees of the other four courts;
    Not to make any alteration or addition whatsoever to or affecting the structure or exterior of the flat or the appearance of the flat as viewed from the exterior and in particular but without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing not to remove or interfere with the external door to and forming part thereof nor the window box affixed to the exterior of the Flat
    Thanks

Interestingly it does not mention internal non load bearing walls inside the demise and not "dividing" other premises, merely internal space.

I would suggest that consent is not needed, though I would read the lease once more.
    Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

I agree with lha. On the basis of the wording quoted consent is not needed if the wall in question is not a load bearing wall.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X