X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jenniferL View Post
    Sadly I don't have a Ron & Ron on hand.

Last couple of questions.....promise

1) what if the landlord won't take legal action after they have written to the tenant giving a deadline and it's not complied with ?
    2) can the landlord agree that it is ok just to put a rug down ?
    3) what are my next steps legally if either of the above prove to be the case ? Do I have a case against the landlord or the tenant ?

Many thanks as always.
    Thats a relief lawyers generally frown on that and the Police get a little hot under the collar

1 Then you may have to ask a court to compel them.
    2 No as the lease says " keep covered with carpet and underlay the floors of the Demised Premises" all the (relevant) floor must be covered with that not a rug.
    3 If there is a breach then you have a case as above.

What you might say is

I refer to previous "letters emails etc" in regard to flat A. As you know all(?) our lease require that
    ‘at all times to cover and keep covered with carpet and underlay the floors of the Demised Premises other than those of the kitchen and bathrooms and at all times suitably and properly to cover and keep covered the floors of the kitchen and bathrooms in the Demised Premises’

As you now know, Flat A has laid "wood floors-details of you have them" contrary to that clause. We as a "group or company? " are freeholders of the block and are bound to enforce the terms of the leases and I must ask that you as " committee board ?" act in accordance with the lease and enforce them in respect of flat x.

If you refuse to do so then I will require as leaseholder of flat B that under clause Y( #8) that you enforce the terms of the lease as the result of the installation is considerable nuisance and disruption from noise contrary to clause Z ( in your lease it will mention noise etc).

I'll finish this later more work to do!
    Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

While I am required to indemnify and put you in funds as to costs, I will require that your aggressively seek the recovery of costs from the offending leaseholder, and I reserve my position on seeking recovery of any costs that you require to me to pay in the light of your intial refusal to enforce the terms of the lease as you should as freeholder.
      Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Originally posted by jenniferL View Post
        I have now been advised that they do not want to take action as if they acknowledge the breaks in the terms of the lease, then they can not collect any maintenance and ground rent until the breach is rectified.
        I don't get that part. How can a breach of lease mean they can't collect service charge?

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholdanswers View Post
          Do read this though as some of the issues may arise where the company might have agreed to it or their remedies are limited if they have known about if for some time. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...den-floor.html
          Do we know what the outcome of this court action was?

Comment

Do we know what the outcome of this court action was?
            The leaseholders complaining of the noise lost.

http://www.newlawjournal.co.uk/nlj/c...hy-neighbour-0

Comment

I don't get that part. How can a breach of lease mean they can't collect service charge?
              You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Fortfeiture means you believe the lease has been brought to an end by a breach. By accepting rent & service charges you are admitting that the lease continues.

Comment

Originally posted by Cantabriana View Post
                The leaseholders complaining of the noise lost.

http://www.newlawjournal.co.uk/nlj/c...hy-neighbour-0

Will read the decision when I get the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Carine View Post
                  Yeah, its a bit muddled. if there is breach or alleged breach, the landlord has the option of forfeiting the lease. Service of a 146 Notice shows that it is the landlords intention to do so on the expiry of 28 days, normally, though as we all know they need a Court order or they end up in HM Holiday Inn ( where you don't complain about 'nuffin, unless you like eating through a straw).

If they ask for charges of any sort then that indicates that the landlord intends to continue the lease, and waives the breach, in many cases, and forfeiture as an enforcement option or remedy, is lost. The section 146 asks for mense profits i.e. the daily rate of service charge rents etc until re entry which can then be claimed when the amount is known.

Comment

Originally posted by Carine View Post

Will read the decision when I get the time.
                    Your eyes will water when as C says they lost and the bill was enormous. I know the block and the bill, to many occupants, is just " oh dear no Ferrari just for Thursdays then dear".

Comment

I now understand the forfeiture bit and the fact that the landlord cannot forfeit the lease and claim service charge, what I don't get is that it would affect more than one property.
                      Is this not just relevant to the flat in question?

Comment

yes, only flats in breach are in breach

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholdanswers View Post
                          Liked that. Lawyer by day, rap artiste by night.

You are spot on, the clause requires the landlord to act, but I would add a rider that they must actively seek costs under the lease and in tribunal or Court as well, and not rely simply on your indemnity.

The first stage is for you to gather written recorded and comparable evidence of the issues by diary recording and even a cheap ebay type noise meter.
                          Sorry for hijacking this thread but we're in the same boat here.
                          Leaseholder A has officially complained of the noise due to creaky floorboards in flat B. We sent a LBA. Leaseholder B has fixed some of the floorboards but noise remain as it's wooden floors and not carpet.
                          Leaseholder A wants us to take action.
                          We have the same clause in our lease i.e. duty to enforce covenant on a complete indemnity basis.

LHA you mention seeking costs in tribunal or court. Does this mean the landlord takes it all the way to court if need be and bills leaseholder A for all costs?
                          Or can the leaseholder issue proceedings directly against the offending flat?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                          X