Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Private renting tenants question

Hi
    I deliberated as to which forum to post this in, so I hope I am in the right one and apologise if you think it isn't.

I live in a block of flats in which every leaseholder owns one share of the freehold and is a part of the flat management company. My neighbours have been renting their flat to private tenants for the last 2 or 3 years. At the weekend a visitor to the flat drove into the residential car park and damaged my car. When I went down to take photographs she came out and when I told her she'd damaged the car (we saw her do it) she denied it and began verbally abusing me. The tenant of the flat then came out and started shouting and abusing me also. The visitor then attacked me as I tried to walk away, landing a punch on me and jarring my neck.

Following the police visit I settled on a community resolution order but in hindsight I wish I'd gone ahead with charging her because the whole thing was unnecessary, unprovoked and very distressing.

I have contacted the leaseholders of the flat but they told me it's nothing to do with them. Do I have any recourse, as one of the freeholders, to pursue something around unsociable behaviour? I am not happy at the way the tenant abused me and don't think it's right that I should have to put up with verbal and physical abuse like this.

Thanks for any advice

No the actions of the visitor ste theirs.however you might decline consent to let to them again,
    Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Is there anything in your lease about, not to cause a nuisance ( other than in the part regarding playing music after hours )

Comment

Have a good read of the lease, we assume that the LH is allowed to sublet ?. Leases often have clauses such as above not to cause a nuisance or behave in a certain way, although for a single incident such as this there may be little you can do, I recall another thread where a LH had to deal with a troublesome tenantas in another flat, and it was a battle to prove anti social behaviour before the LVT (and there were a lot of breaches and photo/video evidence too).
        Advice given is based on my experience representing myself as a leaseholder both in the County Court and at Leasehold Valuation Tribunals.

I do not accept any liability to you in relation to the advice given.

It is always recommended you seek further advice from a solicitor or legal expert.

Always read your lease first, it is the legally binding contract between leaseholder and freeholder.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X