Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extending on demised land

Hi

I've recently purchased a share of freehold basement flat which among the demise includes the front garden, driveway down the side of the property and rear garden. The freehold is owned in an equal 4 share split with the owners of the other flats. Aside from right of access to the meter boxes via the front garden and access to the rear of the property through application or emergency we have sole use - and as mentioned the surrounding land is completely under our demise. The other flats are accessed via a separate path leading to the center of the property (we gain access through our own 'front door' down the side of the property accessed via the driveway).

We are looking to extend out onto the driveway at the side of the property (leaving access to the rear garden via a newly created passage). 3 out of 4 freeholders are fine with us extending but one freeholder (who rents his top floor flat out) is asking for compensation. We are virtually leaving the flank wall intact building a shell around the existing front door.

We do need permission from all lessors to proceed, but my questions are - does the owner have a right to demand compensation ? As the land is demised to me it shouldn't affect the value of the freehold at all - in fact it will increase the overall value of the freehold I would have thought.

I've only been doing some internet research but isn't it against the Landlord and Tenant Act to profit from unduly restricting or resisting granting permission. Any advise would be very much appreciated.

If your extension results in any work needing to be done to the fabric of the building (which belongs to the freeholder company), then you will usually need permission from the freeholder as leases normally require this. From what you describe the work will at least require some type of dovetailing brickwork into the existing building.

So, can the one freeholder demand compensation if the remaining others agree to grant their permission (assuming you need it)? It depends what it says about decision making in the articles of association of your freehold company. I would guess that if a simple majority say yes it's fine. If that's the case then it's tough luck, the board resolution is carried.

Afterthought: it is potentially more complicated than I made out because the question will be: will the brickwork of the "new" extension become part of the freeholder's demise or yours? The freeholder currently owns all the brickwork holding up the building, with your demise extending only to the inside plasterwork. And it is in your interest to have it that way to prevent your upstairs neighbours knocking down supporting walls. So I believe you will need a solicitor, because there is a chance amendments need to be made to one or more of the leases.

Comment

Dominic has got the gist of it.

First you don’t have share of freehold( no such thing) the company owns the freehold, and you have 1 of 4 shares ion that company
      Second you own a lease and what you own is key to this when you refer to demise.

In most leases you will own the plaster and internal walls, however unless in this case you also own the external wall it is not yours to alter it is the freeholders (and no you are not the freeholder or a SoF, the company is). Now you see why the distinction is important and SoF a lot of horse poo.

If the exterior area is within your demise and its use is not restricted or limited (and they usually are) then it is likely that it is yours to develop, hold on, as

1. It may then be subject to a covenant that requires consent, which cannot be unreasonably withheld and subject to professional fees

2. Apart from dovetailing into the wall, and it is possible not to do that, you will likely need an entrance so unless there is an existing door way or you don’t mind crawling through a window, and any services will not cross between them via the external wall, then the freeholder can block a useful extension.

3. The problem as always is the roof and getting a waterproof joint that prevents damp getting into the existing or new structure. In this case you might be able to argue that the roof connection is simply a party wall matter.

Please read the above carefully as you will see that what I have said has multiple conditions, so please do not
      A seize on the bits you like
      B “so what you are saying is..” I have said what I have said, so please don’t try and ram it back into how you “thought it would be”.

Dominic has also explained that the enlarged premises will have to be maintained and therefore it must be yours to maintain or become part of the freeholders retained premises.

In either case the increase in floor area will have oi be reflected in service charges for shared costs such as insurance.

Your lease will have to be varied to include the new premises, who looks after it, a new plan and a new SC percentage.

When it comes to the external wall or a covenant against development it is at the freeholders discretion as to whether to give consent to vary the lease and to alter their wall and a simple vote will suffice. However the dissenter may claim that the company is in breach of it's covenant to him for say quiet enjoyment with the change in use of the area or noise and disruption, or that the covenant not to alter benefited him and that this is a material detrimental change and he might seek an injunction or damages.It is therefore important to check all the leases.

In these cases if the outside needs painting or the drive a make over, it is best to offer to do that as a peace offering, and better than handing over tax on the premium to HMRC (boo)
      Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Freeholder/Agent Demanding Money for Repairs
        by SSLA91
        Hi all,

Long time lurker of this forum and recent new member. Have always found the forum incredibly helpful so thank you! Have now got an issue with our freeholder that I could use some specific advice on (have tried searching for similar posts but to no avail).

We have recently...
        20-10-2021, 20:28 PM
      • Reply to Freeholder/Agent Demanding Money for Repairs
        by eagle2
        It makes you wonder why any freeholder should comply with s20 at all. As you say, it can wait to see if any leaseholder challenges the costs. It does not even need to explain why it did not comply with s20, the only consideration appears to be whether or not the leaseholders suffered any financial prejudice,...
        23-10-2021, 06:34 AM
      • Reply to Section 20 notice
        by Starlane
        Hi Macromia thank you as always for your helpful and sensible input.. one building is saying one thing and another building the other, the usual chinese whispers so I took the bull by the horns and spoke to everyone and I am almost there apart from a Director who wants to do their own thing ( not being...
        22-10-2021, 20:57 PM
      • Section 20 notice
        by Starlane
        Hello I would welcome input on the following:
        Two roofs feed into a valley, the valley is in need of repair, this is a shared responsibility and therefore a shared cost. so how do we issue a section 20 notice when really we need the consent and agreement from two different buildings/landlords...
        22-10-2021, 19:09 PM
      • Reply to Share of freehold questions - confused
        by Starlane
        Agree thank you...
        22-10-2021, 20:52 PM
      • Share of freehold questions - confused
        by sixunforced
        Not sure if this is the right place for this query but anyway, I'm a first time buyer and have been searching for a property for like two years now (not continuously but on and off and obv covid halted my search for a while). I found a really nice 2 bedroom flat for under £320,000 in a block of around...
        18-11-2020, 21:19 PM
      • Reply to Section 20 notice
        by Macromia
        Assuming that the two freeholders have agreed that they will work together and share the costs, they jointly agree what needs to be communicated to the leaseholders and then each freeholder writes to the leaseholders in their building.
        22-10-2021, 20:16 PM
      • Reply to Freeholder threatening to cut water off
        by Macromia
        This is possibly by far the most important consideration, in my opinion.
        If the OP's lease doesn't allow 'improvements' to be charged to service charges, the freeholder cannot require them to contribute anything towards the costs, and would therefore be something that they would have had no choice...
        22-10-2021, 20:08 PM
      • Freeholder threatening to cut water off
        by Disraeli-LLH
        I was hoping you would be able to help. We own a ground floor flat LLH(970 yrs remaining). The freeholder owns the house and lets the flat upstairs on an AST.

The freeholder currently undertaking works including replumbing. We have been on a shared water supply and we connect through their...
        20-10-2021, 15:35 PM
      • Reply to Freeholder/Agent Demanding Money for Repairs
        by Macromia
        Possibly...

Although when my freeholder applied for dispensation a while back (arguing that the proposed work had to be carried out as a matter of urgency) they were granted dispensation with the First Tier Tribunal commenting that the 2013 Supreme Court Case of Daejan versus Benson meant...
        22-10-2021, 19:51 PM
      Working...
      X