X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forced Sale Of Part of Freehold Property

Hello
    Can anyone help with a query please?
    I own a share of the freehold of the grounds where I own a flat. The freehold is shared between about 100 flats. We manage the communal areas via a company which we formed and to which we elect directors to make the day to day decisions. Recently a developer has offered us money to buy part of our grounds. My question is can this sale be done with a majority vote of the freeholders or can any individual freeholder block the sale by not agreeing?
    thanks very much

The shareholders decide in this instance.

You put it to the vote to the 100 shareholders.

But, what does the lease say about the land, sale, or "not to build on any part or errect any buildings"

What is the developer going to put there ? a car park, and office block ?
    They don't buy land just to leave it there, vacant.

If the lease implies anyone can walk accross and have use of the common grounds, do you have
    £ 30,000 to change all 100 leases to show the reduced size of their entitlement ?

Comment

Well no, as a company its for the board to decide, but they can, or be asked or required, by shareholders /members to put it to a vote.

that said if your leases include unalterable(inalienable)rights to use the area, then each leaseholder would have to agree.

besides there is no such thing as share freehold, the company owns it, you own a share in the company, nothing else.
      Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Thanks very much for your reply leaseholdanswers.
        I'm sure you're right about owning a share of the company only. We are having a members vote on the issue in this case rather than leaving it to the elected board. I certainly will check through the lease.

Comment

Thank you very much for your answer Ram.
          I suspected a majority would do but it's a pity as I don't want the trees and wildlife to be harmed. (A majority is democratic of course). The land will be used as a driveway for a new apartment complex next door to our site.
          I will look into the details of the lease just in case. We have lovely grounds and it's a real shame that people don't appreciate them more or want to show solidarity with the people who live in that part of the site. (Luckily I don't live in that area myself). I suspect everyone will regret the sale soon enough but for now most people seem to think the money is worth it.

Comment

Sorry but yes I am right no such thing as SoF, leasehold freehold and commonhold, that its.

The lease is absolutely key here, the company is bound by its 100 contracts, leases. if only one leaseholder says my lease says I have the clear and unalterable right to use that land, its scuppered or the company ends up writing a big cheque to that person. Expect others to forma an orderly queue for a similar cheque.

One tip is if it goes ahead, then you pay tax on the sale. A builder developer might be better off asked to do work say the new roof or drive or external painting instead, tax free.
            Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Thanks very much leaseholdanswers
              That's a good tip about the builder doing work to avoid tax. Ill suggest that as a way for part of the money to be paid if it does end up happening. As yet I still hope to persuade people nature and tranquility has a value.
              cheers
              MrTea

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Negotiating a lease extension
                by sgclacy
                If you were to challenge the costs afterwards, almost certainly it would be dealt with as a paper review and is not as daunting as it might seem . The Tribunal generally think that around £350 plus VAT for dealing with the Section 42 Notice of claim and circa £1000 plus vat for the deed of surrender...
                22-09-2021, 13:38 PM
              • Negotiating a lease extension
                by LizLease
                Hi all, I am new to the forum.
                I am looking to extend the lease on a flat (currently under 70 years).
                I received a quote from the freeholder and a valuation from a surveyor (£3k lower than the freeholder's figure).
                I spoke to the leasehold Advisory Service who said to ask the surveyor...
                21-01-2021, 12:44 PM
              • Renewing the lease and sublet charges
                by mpppen
                I've just about finished the tortuous process of renewing the lease at a flat we own bringing it up to 170 years and no ground rent (yay).

It is rent out and I do keep getting sublet registration demands from an infamous mgm company on here.

I've read back through the forums...
                21-09-2021, 18:47 PM
              • Reply to Renewing the lease and sublet charges
                by Gordon999
                I have some faint recollection that a complaint of " in-house legal team" was raised before a LVT or FTT Tribunal and Chairman decided "in-house team" did not qualify as "solicitor", who are required to conduct CDD ( Client Due Diligence ) before taking...
                22-09-2021, 12:28 PM
              • Example "Deed of Variation" for extending the lease term.
                by Lat
                I have tried google but there is very little to show. Does anyone have a redacted example of a "Deed of Variation" that they have had to sign?

The criteria in my case is...

1. Shared Freehold flat in block of flats
                2. Freeholder is Residents Company Ltd with...
                04-09-2021, 11:24 AM
              • Reply to Example "Deed of Variation" for extending the lease term.
                by Lat
                What is wrong with the following process to register the "Deed of Varation"

All that is required of me is to get the "Deed of Variation" registered with the Land Registry and provide a copy of the new lease to the Company Secretary.

The Process.
                22-09-2021, 12:16 PM
              • Dissolve company and regain shares
                by LaraJara21
                Good afternoon

I am the director of a small a residents management company / limited company and We want to dissolve the limited company so each freeholder can regain their own shares. I would be extremely grateful if someone could advise on if this is possible and if so, how do we that?...
                22-09-2021, 11:35 AM
              • Reply to Dissolve company and regain shares
                by Gordon999
                The RMC has legal rights under the lease to administer the service charge account and demand annual service charge contribution from leaseholders. . It should not be dissolved because it holds the freehold title of the building.

If you transfer the freehold title to the leaseholders,...
                22-09-2021, 12:05 PM
              • Right to Manage Costs
                by Pariah81
                Hi,

I am part of a residents association that is exploring right to manage (RTM).

We are a 30 flat block in the Ealing area.

We want to get advice on the process so how much should we be expecting to pay for our legals?

I'm also aware we have to pay...
                21-09-2021, 13:48 PM
              • Reply to Right to Manage Costs
                by ram

You can't do that, as where is the money going to come from ?
                You cant give them back the money they gave towards the RTM - as then WHO pays for the RTM legal fees ? - You ?
                It can't come out of the service charges.
                You can pay ONE of the Directors, say $ 500 per year to administer
                22-09-2021, 10:03 AM
              Working...
              X