Freeholder won't do anything

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freeholder won't do anything

Hi, We own lease on a ground floor flat which has a rising damp problem.

I have told the freeholder and he said he would get a surveyor to look. That was 3 months ago and still no one has been round. I call regularly and am always told the same thing. Most recently the freeholder seems to be permanently engaged.
    3 months is too long but I don't want to do it myself when the lease says it should be paid jointly by all leaseholders.

Would appreciate your advice.

Dom

Yes 3 months is a long time with no report back to you as to what is happening.

All you can do is write ( not text phone or email ) stating that 3 months with no answers to your questions is, in you opinion, too long.

Ask them WHEN will the work start on the rising damp.
    Remember if it's going to cost more than £ 250 each leaseholder, section 20 comes into effect, and it will be 3 months before any work can be given to a contractor, and then may be 2 months after that that the contractor has a free window.

It will cost a Lot for the rising damp but it just may need a damp course if none is currently present.

All you can do is ask, and if no reply within a week, state that as you do not seem to be bothered, I may have to go to the FTT court to regarding the freeholder in breach of his obligations to maintain in good condition, the building.

No way must you pay for it yourself.

Comment

The FTT would have no juridstciction over this scenario, they only have juridstiction when a FH claims the LH has breached the lease not visa versa.

The correct forum for such a claim would be a claim for damages at the county court, unfortunatley it can be complex but ive had success following this route, a claim for specific performance is also possible but Im led to believe this can be even more complex.

It may be worth lookinmg at the CPR Pre-Action Protocols for Disrepair here > http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/pro...tocol/prot_hou , this will show the Fh you are serous and give him certain deadlines.
      Advice given is based on my experience representing myself as a leaseholder both in the County Court and at Leasehold Valuation Tribunals.

I do not accept any liability to you in relation to the advice given.

It is always recommended you seek further advice from a solicitor or legal expert.

Always read your lease first, it is the legally binding contract between leaseholder and freeholder.

Comment

Erm first thing is check the lease to see if he or you are responsible to repair, not simply "everyone pays".

if they are responsible ( even if you all pay ) then use this http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/pro...tocol/prot_hou as Andy sais, though the freeholder must consult on scope and costs as RAm mentions.
        Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Negotiating a lease extension
          by LizLease
          Hi all, I am new to the forum.
          I am looking to extend the lease on a flat (currently under 70 years).
          I received a quote from the freeholder and a valuation from a surveyor (£3k lower than the freeholder's figure).
          I spoke to the leasehold Advisory Service who said to ask the surveyor...
          21-01-2021, 12:44 PM
        • Reply to Negotiating a lease extension
          by sgclacy
          If you were to challenge the costs afterwards, almost certainly it would be dealt with as a paper review and is not as daunting as it might seem . The Tribunal generally think that around £350 plus VAT for dealing with the Section 42 Notice of claim and circa £1000 plus vat for the deed of surrender...
          22-09-2021, 13:38 PM
        • Reply to Renewing the lease and sublet charges
          by Gordon999
          I have some faint recollection that a complaint of " in-house legal team" was raised before a LVT or FTT Tribunal and Chairman decided "in-house team" did not qualify as "solicitor", who are required to conduct CDD ( Client Due Diligence ) before taking...
          22-09-2021, 12:28 PM
        • Renewing the lease and sublet charges
          by mpppen
          I've just about finished the tortuous process of renewing the lease at a flat we own bringing it up to 170 years and no ground rent (yay).

It is rent out and I do keep getting sublet registration demands from an infamous mgm company on here.

I've read back through the forums...
          21-09-2021, 18:47 PM
        • Example "Deed of Variation" for extending the lease term.
          by Lat
          I have tried google but there is very little to show. Does anyone have a redacted example of a "Deed of Variation" that they have had to sign?

The criteria in my case is...

1. Shared Freehold flat in block of flats
          2. Freeholder is Residents Company Ltd with...
          04-09-2021, 11:24 AM
        • Reply to Example "Deed of Variation" for extending the lease term.
          by Lat
          What is wrong with the following process to register the "Deed of Varation"

All that is required of me is to get the "Deed of Variation" registered with the Land Registry and provide a copy of the new lease to the Company Secretary.

The Process.
          22-09-2021, 12:16 PM
        • Dissolve company and regain shares
          by LaraJara21
          Good afternoon

I am the director of a small a residents management company / limited company and We want to dissolve the limited company so each freeholder can regain their own shares. I would be extremely grateful if someone could advise on if this is possible and if so, how do we that?...
          22-09-2021, 11:35 AM
        • Reply to Dissolve company and regain shares
          by Gordon999
          The RMC has legal rights under the lease to administer the service charge account and demand annual service charge contribution from leaseholders. . It should not be dissolved because it holds the freehold title of the building.

If you transfer the freehold title to the leaseholders,...
          22-09-2021, 12:05 PM
        • Right to Manage Costs
          by Pariah81
          Hi,

I am part of a residents association that is exploring right to manage (RTM).

We are a 30 flat block in the Ealing area.

We want to get advice on the process so how much should we be expecting to pay for our legals?

I'm also aware we have to pay...
          21-09-2021, 13:48 PM
        • Reply to Right to Manage Costs
          by ram

You can't do that, as where is the money going to come from ?
          You cant give them back the money they gave towards the RTM - as then WHO pays for the RTM legal fees ? - You ?
          It can't come out of the service charges.
          You can pay ONE of the Directors, say $ 500 per year to administer
          22-09-2021, 10:03 AM
        Working...
        X