• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Covenant in lease saying private residence only..no trade etc

Hello all,

I live in a leasehold massionette.

The tenant hereby covenants with the landlord as follows:-

to use the demised premises as a private residence only and to carry on thereon or therein or in part thereof any trade business manufacture or profession whatsoever

Is there any information any where or does any one have any advice as to the scope of this. For example my partner is a teacher..does this means she can't do marking or work in the evenings / holidays as this is her profession?

Can I not do my paperwork etc as a landlord?

Any advice appreciated.

Apart from the missing "not" these sort of activities are not excluded as the business is not "carried on" at the premises, it is simply marking studying preparation etc. If however you were a clog dance teacher and insisted on rehearsing routines you might be caught under general clauses on nuisance etc.
    Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Yes sorry a typo "not" was in there..so if I work for myself as a landlord and use the flat as an office (no advertising, no clients etc) that is or isn't permitted? Would my registering a company at the property, again with my using it for an office..no clients be okay? It is a ltd property development company. A ltd is the way my accountant said I should work..so it would be based and registered at flat but "work / business" would be on a building site else where

This could apply to any self employed person..a plumber etc...are you saying that providing no clients come or products are made etc then clerical / office based business work is okay?

If I was an accountant that had clients coming to visit me I would be stuffed I guess?

Comment

Well you said paperwork as a landlord and against that is permitted. However if this is your de facto office it is a question of fact and degree. The simple processing of paperwork might not, however large volumes of mail deliveries and activity from printers faxes and constant telephone rings would tend toward the business being operated in the flat as opposed to where most of your business is conducted.

Most often these are considered in nuisance terms as to how it affects others but registering your company and office at that address can flag up on various databases and some can argue on principal no matter how pointless that might seem. I suggest a mail box or serviced office for that and how many calls or callers collecting keys collecting inventories etc, you might have that might attract attention.
        Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Hi,

Many thanks for your reply. It's helped me and given me somethings to think about.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Changing Lease Clause to Permit Letting
            by ram
            [/FONT][/SIZE]
            • 1) Your possition - and mine, is NOT permitting letting will enhance the properties.
            • 2) Bad tenants DO adversely affect property values - normally.
            • 3) Your lease is not defective, so no need to change. And Judges HAVE gone along with the freeholder keeping the "no letting"
            24-07-2021, 23:42 PM
          • Changing Lease Clause to Permit Letting
            by witsend55
            Not sure if this is the best section to post in, so please move if it is considered best place elsewhere.

I have had ownership of a flat, one of just four in a converted house, for many years. There is a simple flat management structure; the four owners are directors and have one share...
            24-07-2021, 11:53 AM
          • Reply to Advice on flat sale
            by Ionela Preda
            The free holder only asked me to pass the info about the new buyer, so they know at the end.
            and of course, to add him into the RTM, too.,...
            24-07-2021, 21:41 PM
          • Advice on flat sale
            by Ionela Preda
            Guys, hi!

I represent a RTM Company, I am the Director of it, 11 flats in our block.
            He have some people willing to sell their flat, and I am really “flat” on the legal aspect;

I need to give them: the Deed of Covenant, the Assignment Pack, I need to lift and re-apply...
            24-07-2021, 15:54 PM
            by Ionela Preda
            thank you! I read the post and I can’t wait to be Monday, so I can ring them…...
            24-07-2021, 21:37 PM
            by Ionela Preda
            Yes, Homeground is now representing the Free Holder and gave me the authorisation to carry this.
            they normally do all these themselves, but only for a Management Company, not for our RTM one…

They declined any help, even paid one.

the LPE 1 form, we have it from the...
            24-07-2021, 21:36 PM
            by Ionela Preda
            Guys, I can’t believe that you take your time to help! Nice people still exist!
            24-07-2021, 21:29 PM
          • Reply to Changing Lease Clause to Permit Letting
            by MdeB
            Earlier posters have covered everything I wanted to write.

Owner occupiers generally treat a property better than tenants (I have been both and it applied to me too).
            24-07-2021, 21:18 PM
          • Reply to Leaseholder placing table and chairs on freehold land
            by AndrewDod
            Not adverse possession I don't think. Even if the chairs remained there fenced off for a decade, I don't think you can claim AP relating to land you have the right to access anyway.

I can't see a problem with them sitting there if the lease allows, but should not be leaving the stuff there...
            24-07-2021, 19:43 PM
          • Leaseholder placing table and chairs on freehold land
            by Joubert
            I am a director of a freehold company which comprises six leasehold flats in a converted building.

The leaseholder of the lower ground flat has taken to placing a small table and two chairs outside her front door for use when the weather is good. They items are not causing any obstruction....
            24-07-2021, 17:06 PM
          Working...
          X