S20 L&T Act 1985

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S20 L&T Act 1985

Hi all, first post of many I'm sure.....

We are a leaseholder within a house. The downstairs leaseholder is also the freeholder and wishes to do some maintenance. Fine.

Our lease states that we are equally liable for maintenance costs - again, fine.

However, now the landlord has had the quotes in for the work, she wants to get a "residential surveyor" to check the quotes - at an additional cost of £350+VAT. This is madness. Surely the very nature of getting three quotes ensures "best value".

So the question is - do I have to contribute to this additional cost as it is not "maintenance" and simply a waste of money??

All of the work is very straight forward, for example painting/decorating windows externally, so what is the residential surveyor going to add to the process??

Can anyone help?

Jimmy

Depends on what your lease says on costs.

In short while tendering does obtain a good value, you have ot look at what work is proposed, is it need or worse still inadequate, and are the quotes then comparable.

How much preparation in terms of rubbing down a or burning off is allowed, are exposed areas preservative treated before priming, are they all repairing or filling or replacing damaged timbers or putties, and to what extent in each quote, as well as what are their rates for such extra work. What paints are they using "Crappy and Awful" value range or who issuing scaffold or ladders. How much of your windows are the painting, the exposed edges or adding internal returns and faces?

And that is just in 2 minutes, in typing time, what questions I would ask.
    Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

It does depend on the wording of the lease but for building costs that are on the low side then an additional £350 does appear a bit OTT, it is normal for some extra management/admin charges to be added, often 10-20%, you could of course challange this extra cost at an FTT.

Who is this residential surveyor ?, I'd be supsicious it was some sort of kick back.
      Advice given is based on my experience representing myself as a leaseholder both in the County Court and at Leasehold Valuation Tribunals.

I do not accept any liability to you in relation to the advice given.

It is always recommended you seek further advice from a solicitor or legal expert.

Always read your lease first, it is the legally binding contract between leaseholder and freeholder.

Comment

The freeholder is not a builder or surveyor, nor am I.

Do you look round your car and say, well everything looks o.k. therefore I will not have it maintained, not put it in a garage for them to check it out, and as post number 2 states, do you ask all the questions that a trained mechanic asks, no you do not.

In the same way a freeholder can be anyone, someone who has no idea about how things deteriorate. A freeholder is not conversant with the law so he gets a solicitor to do certain things.
        Therfore he has to get a surveyor in .

You are being asked to pay £ 200 ( half of 350 + vat )

At the flat I manage, each leasholder had to pay the same as you are being asked to pay, and the cost was 4 figures for a survey and report.
        A survey in it's true form HAS to be done and I assume you and she are not a time served builder or surveyor, both with 20 years experience on knowing what has to be done.

£ 350 is low, paythe £ 200 and be thankfull that the building is being managed in the way it should be managed.

Comment

Originally posted by andydd View Post
          Who is this residential surveyor ?, I'd be supsicious it was some sort of kick back.
          Residential as opposed to commercial / agricultural / ship surveyor

Comment

But it appears that the FH is not proposing a survey is done BEFORE the works but a surveyors is employed just to 'look over' the quotes.

My FH has had surveys done and the cost (if there was any) was not passed onto the leaseholders.
            Advice given is based on my experience representing myself as a leaseholder both in the County Court and at Leasehold Valuation Tribunals.

I do not accept any liability to you in relation to the advice given.

It is always recommended you seek further advice from a solicitor or legal expert.

Always read your lease first, it is the legally binding contract between leaseholder and freeholder.

Comment

"get a "residential surveyor" to check the quotes", could mean, Is this all that needs doing, as I a lady, have no clue about these things.

Not passing the cost onto the leaseholders is a good one ( no reams about it's what it says in the lease )
              the money received here is as I have mentioned before, is £ 3 -14s- 2d ( Three pounds, 14 shillings and 2 pence ) a year freehold charges. If you times that by the number of flats times 25 years of incorporation, it works out at about £ 760 in the freeholders bank - minus expences over 25 years, means there is no freeholder cash available.
              So the freeholder ( here ) cannot pay for anything.

You are lucky.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• RMC who decides annual budget
                by scot22
                Is the budget a board of directors decision or MUST it be ratified by shareholders at the A.G.M ?

If so would it be an ordinary resolution or special requiring 75% to be ratified ?
                02-08-2021, 10:55 AM
              • Reply to RMC who decides annual budget
                by ram
                I may have shares in B.T. so can I object to their spending of £ millions on below ? which are not needed, as there are plenty of other firms doing it ?

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...low-spots.html

I feel it
                03-08-2021, 15:42 PM
              • Is applying to FTT to appoint manager my best option?
                by Tom H
                I own a long leasehold in a purpose-built flat comprising of just two flats. The freeholder also owns and resides in the flat that is directly above me.
                Despite numerous attempts to get him to carry out essential maintenance to the property as per the provisions in the lease (about a third of...
                03-08-2021, 15:31 PM
              • Removing a director
                by LaraJara21
                Hi all.

The residents management company is currently being run by a director who is very uncooperative. After 2 years of asking for a meeting, asking for copies of accounts, the insurance policy, just anythings in relation to the limited company, he refuses and continues to be very difficult....
                03-08-2021, 14:21 PM
              • Reply to Removing a director
                by eagle2
                You can arrange a meeting of members but you must include on the agenda that you intend to remove the director. You must give special notice to the director that he is subject to the vote and you must allow him to make a statement at the meeting, Make sure that you have the minimum number of directors...
                03-08-2021, 15:05 PM
              • Reply to Can directors put taking legal advice through the service charge?
                by Starlane
                I think as RAM was saying Eagle2 , I don't think a member would be liable for the costs and I have put forward that It is important to bear in mind that the award of costs is always at the discretion of the court.

I stated " including but not limited to making an application for an...
                03-08-2021, 13:41 PM
              • Can directors put taking legal advice through the service charge?
                by Starlane
                Hello, I hope your week is going well! I firstly want to thank some of the contributors in this site as you have been very helpful with sharing your experiences and knowledge.

So the situation is..I have sent the landlord company and its directors a preliminary notice.I also tried to...
                02-08-2021, 21:03 PM
                by eagle2
                The agent should never be allowed the freedom to set the budget, it should recommend expenditure but it should never be the one to set it. Otherwise, a substantial part of the expenditure is likely to end up in the hands of that agent and its connected contractors,

The agent should always...
                03-08-2021, 11:25 AM
                by MrSoffit
                As already said, company directors are responsible to manage. If the directors do not table a resolution invited members to vote on a budget (and they would be fools to do so), the members must use a special resolution to force the directors to a different outcome. Unless the articles of the RMC say...
                03-08-2021, 11:07 AM
              • Section 20 notice / repairing obligation
                by Grah8m
                REPAIRING OBLIGATION / SECTION 20 NOTICE
                Our residential long lease does not impose Landlord Repairing Obligations - rather underlease provides procedures enabling any one of convenantees (5 x underlessees - 1 x "Landlord"/Underlessor) may initiate repairing maintenance works and...
                01-08-2021, 13:59 PM
              Working...
              X