Tenant smoking in communal areas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant smoking in communal areas

I am a new poster here, a reluctant accidental landlord.

One of the properties I inherited is on the 7th floor of a block of flats. I have had a complaint from the management company that the tenant is smoking in the communal areas - the stairs and the corridor outside the flat. There have been compalints before, and the tenant made empty promises not to do so again. The tenant has now been caught on smoking on CCTV, and the management company has asked me to do something about it.

My question is, what should I do?

Originally posted by Floss View Post
    The tenant has now been caught on smoking on CCTV, and the management company has asked me to do something about it.
    Presumably you have entered into a covenant not to smoke in the common areas? In which case you would have been in breach of your lease (through the acts of your sub-tenant).

Have you provided your sub-tenant with a copy of the headlease so he entered into his sublease knowingly that he needs to comply with the covenants of the headlease? If so you can pursue him for breach of his sub-lease covenants.

The head-lessor (i.e. your landlord) could also enforce restrictive covenants directly against the sub-tenant. But looks like they chose you instead (I would do the same).

Comment

YOU can be fined by the council £ 200 if you do not prevent your tenant from smoking in the common areas.

If the freeholder / managing agent are unable to get you to stop smoking in the common areas, the freeholder can be fined £ 2000.

Your only course of action is to issue a section 21 to get the tenant out.

go to http://ram2.hostbyet2.com/ and click on no_smoke.pdf ( left hand side ) for the rules.

EDITED ,, ref post 2.
      You are the leaseholder, which is why they targeted you. YOU are the one allowing smoking from your leasehold flat, and the leaseholder is responsible for his actions, actions of the tenants, guests and visitors.
      That's why you are targeted, as you are alowing it to continue, and you are the flat owner.
      Last edited by ram; 07-04-2014, 12:36 PM. Reason: Edited

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Section 21 it is then.

I can't find any documentation relating to the headlease. How much do I need to worry about this? I am paying maintenance fees to a management company and ground rent to another organisation.

Comment

Originally posted by Floss View Post
          Thanks for the replies. Section 21 it is then.

I can't find any documentation relating to the headlease. How much do I need to worry about this?
          Read post number 3 again.

If you do nothing, anyone can complain to the council, and you will be fined £ 200.

Paying maintenance fees to a management company and ground rent to another organisation has nothing to do with breaking the LAW ref - "It's illegal to smoke in the common parts of your building."

Tell the managing co that you have issued a section 21 to terminate the tenancy, so that the offender will obligated to move out, and the smoke will no longer be a problem, but state that these things take time but you have done what needs to be done in order to eventualy stop the smoking.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• RMC who decides annual budget
            by scot22
            Is the budget a board of directors decision or MUST it be ratified by shareholders at the A.G.M ?

If so would it be an ordinary resolution or special requiring 75% to be ratified ?
            02-08-2021, 10:55 AM
          • Reply to RMC who decides annual budget
            by ram
            I may have shares in B.T. so can I object to their spending of £ millions on below ? which are not needed, as there are plenty of other firms doing it ?

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...low-spots.html

I feel it
            03-08-2021, 15:42 PM
          • Is applying to FTT to appoint manager my best option?
            by Tom H
            I own a long leasehold in a purpose-built flat comprising of just two flats. The freeholder also owns and resides in the flat that is directly above me.
            Despite numerous attempts to get him to carry out essential maintenance to the property as per the provisions in the lease (about a third of...
            03-08-2021, 15:31 PM
          • Removing a director
            by LaraJara21
            Hi all.

The residents management company is currently being run by a director who is very uncooperative. After 2 years of asking for a meeting, asking for copies of accounts, the insurance policy, just anythings in relation to the limited company, he refuses and continues to be very difficult....
            03-08-2021, 14:21 PM
          • Reply to Removing a director
            by eagle2
            You can arrange a meeting of members but you must include on the agenda that you intend to remove the director. You must give special notice to the director that he is subject to the vote and you must allow him to make a statement at the meeting, Make sure that you have the minimum number of directors...
            03-08-2021, 15:05 PM
          • Reply to Can directors put taking legal advice through the service charge?
            by Starlane
            I think as RAM was saying Eagle2 , I don't think a member would be liable for the costs and I have put forward that It is important to bear in mind that the award of costs is always at the discretion of the court.

I stated " including but not limited to making an application for an...
            03-08-2021, 13:41 PM
          • Can directors put taking legal advice through the service charge?
            by Starlane
            Hello, I hope your week is going well! I firstly want to thank some of the contributors in this site as you have been very helpful with sharing your experiences and knowledge.

So the situation is..I have sent the landlord company and its directors a preliminary notice.I also tried to...
            02-08-2021, 21:03 PM
            by eagle2
            The agent should never be allowed the freedom to set the budget, it should recommend expenditure but it should never be the one to set it. Otherwise, a substantial part of the expenditure is likely to end up in the hands of that agent and its connected contractors,

The agent should always...
            03-08-2021, 11:25 AM
            by MrSoffit
            As already said, company directors are responsible to manage. If the directors do not table a resolution invited members to vote on a budget (and they would be fools to do so), the members must use a special resolution to force the directors to a different outcome. Unless the articles of the RMC say...
            03-08-2021, 11:07 AM
          • Section 20 notice / repairing obligation
            by Grah8m
            REPAIRING OBLIGATION / SECTION 20 NOTICE
            Our residential long lease does not impose Landlord Repairing Obligations - rather underlease provides procedures enabling any one of convenantees (5 x underlessees - 1 x "Landlord"/Underlessor) may initiate repairing maintenance works and...
            01-08-2021, 13:59 PM
          Working...
          X