Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freeholder sent Notice of Assignment, lost it, and now asking for money

Hi there

I purchased a property last year. My solicitor sent Notice of Assignment (inc cheque) to the Freeholder along with a Deed of Covenant as per the terms of the lease.

Fast forward 6 months and my flat receives a letter from the Freeholder informing me that Notice of Assignment was not given and that xyz charges have been incurred as a result (admin fee's, interest etc).

I contact my solicitor about this and they confirmed NoA was sent and that the Freeholder had banked the cheque sent with it.

I raised this with the Freeholder, and he came back several days later confirming he had since 'found' the NoA. However they are still insisting the Deed of Covenant was not sent.

They are refusing to invoice me for ground rent until the extra charges for admin fee's (chasing up the NoA and DoC) are paid and that the interest added is just.

The Freeholder is being very difficult to speak with (refusing to speak on the phone, rarely replying to emails).

What should I do to make him drop this matter and start invoicing (minus interest) for the ground rent?

Thanks

FTT application?

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
      FTT application?
      Yes absolutely. All the solicitor need do is confirm that they, not the office post person, sent the Doc and Noa together and its clear that the FH lost it. Pop the ground rent on deposit.
      Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

FTT application? Yes absolutely was the reply.

"However they are still insisting the Deed of Covenant was not sent"

I have it in writing from Lease-advice.org that the following two items are not required, and can be removed from the lease !

1) Permission to assign the lease to proposed buyer not required

2) Deed of Covenant as per the terms of the lease is not required

So legal experts at Lease-advice.org, who are Solicitors / ex-property solicitors have stated the items 1 + 2 that are in the lease are not enforceable.

So what will the FTT decide on the Deed of Covenant ?

Comment

1 b*ll*cks to that answer. they are, not for the first time, wrong.

2 agreed it is superfluous under the 95 Act.

And no one removes such things from a lease, there is no point in that.
          Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I have a couple of questions regarding First-tier Tribunals:

1. Is it advisable to mention my intentions to the Freeholder? The thinking being it might make them see sense and settle the matter.
            2. If the tribunal agree in my favour, can I recover any/all costs involved?

Finally, I'm not 100% sure what is meant by this

Originally posted by leaseholdanswers View Post
            Pop the ground rent on deposit.

Comment

it is advisable to restate your case and give them notice of your intention so that they are given an opportunity to respond.

Until you resolve the issue put the ground rent into a deposit account to earn interest.

Comment

Originally posted by redeye_uk View Post
                2. If the tribunal agree in my favour, can I recover any/all costs involved?
                You need to put in your claim that you wish your issue fee to be refunded, or strangely, it won't be.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• RMC who decides annual budget
                  by scot22
                  Is the budget a board of directors decision or MUST it be ratified by shareholders at the A.G.M ?

If so would it be an ordinary resolution or special requiring 75% to be ratified ?
                  02-08-2021, 10:55 AM
                • Reply to RMC who decides annual budget
                  by ram
                  I may have shares in B.T. so can I object to their spending of £ millions on below ? which are not needed, as there are plenty of other firms doing it ?

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...low-spots.html

I feel it
                  03-08-2021, 15:42 PM
                • Is applying to FTT to appoint manager my best option?
                  by Tom H
                  I own a long leasehold in a purpose-built flat comprising of just two flats. The freeholder also owns and resides in the flat that is directly above me.
                  Despite numerous attempts to get him to carry out essential maintenance to the property as per the provisions in the lease (about a third of...
                  03-08-2021, 15:31 PM
                • Removing a director
                  by LaraJara21
                  Hi all.

The residents management company is currently being run by a director who is very uncooperative. After 2 years of asking for a meeting, asking for copies of accounts, the insurance policy, just anythings in relation to the limited company, he refuses and continues to be very difficult....
                  03-08-2021, 14:21 PM
                • Reply to Removing a director
                  by eagle2
                  You can arrange a meeting of members but you must include on the agenda that you intend to remove the director. You must give special notice to the director that he is subject to the vote and you must allow him to make a statement at the meeting, Make sure that you have the minimum number of directors...
                  03-08-2021, 15:05 PM
                • Reply to Can directors put taking legal advice through the service charge?
                  by Starlane
                  I think as RAM was saying Eagle2 , I don't think a member would be liable for the costs and I have put forward that It is important to bear in mind that the award of costs is always at the discretion of the court.

I stated " including but not limited to making an application for an...
                  03-08-2021, 13:41 PM
                • Can directors put taking legal advice through the service charge?
                  by Starlane
                  Hello, I hope your week is going well! I firstly want to thank some of the contributors in this site as you have been very helpful with sharing your experiences and knowledge.

So the situation is..I have sent the landlord company and its directors a preliminary notice.I also tried to...
                  02-08-2021, 21:03 PM
                  by eagle2
                  The agent should never be allowed the freedom to set the budget, it should recommend expenditure but it should never be the one to set it. Otherwise, a substantial part of the expenditure is likely to end up in the hands of that agent and its connected contractors,

The agent should always...
                  03-08-2021, 11:25 AM
                  by MrSoffit
                  As already said, company directors are responsible to manage. If the directors do not table a resolution invited members to vote on a budget (and they would be fools to do so), the members must use a special resolution to force the directors to a different outcome. Unless the articles of the RMC say...
                  03-08-2021, 11:07 AM
                • Section 20 notice / repairing obligation
                  by Grah8m
                  REPAIRING OBLIGATION / SECTION 20 NOTICE
                  Our residential long lease does not impose Landlord Repairing Obligations - rather underlease provides procedures enabling any one of convenantees (5 x underlessees - 1 x "Landlord"/Underlessor) may initiate repairing maintenance works and...
                  01-08-2021, 13:59 PM
                Working...
                X