Freehold flat, 70 year lease = marriage value?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freehold flat, 70 year lease = marriage value?

Hi my partner and I are looking at buying a share of freehold flat with 70 years remaining on the lease. There are 3 flats in the building. The vendor has agreed to serve a section 42 notice so that we can begin the lease extension process before completion. She has agreed to pay her costs and we will pay ours. My question is will we be subject to marriage value after the extension? Does the marriage value pertain to us or the other 2 freeholders?
    If it pertains to the other 2 freeholders is it possible to have them legally agree to not claim marriage value before we proceed?

I should add that I do not know the length of the other 2 leases (I don't know if this affects my question or not!)

Comment

Your solicitor should first ask the freehold company what their policy is when coming to lease extensions. I bought a share of freehold flat with 74 years left. The freehold company was going to extend all the leases at nil cost in the following year. So we all extended to 999 years at nil cost the year after I bought. You can find out the length of the other leases by downloading the freehold title of the property from Land Registry for £3. If the others haven't extended, this may work in your favour as you can suggest that you all extend at nil cost paying only your solicitors fees.

However you may have a problem in getting a mortgage with only 70 years left on the lease.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. The freehold company is currently the three leaseholders in the building. I will take a look at the land registry records.
        My lender seems to be ok with the lease length.

Comment

Ok I've looked at the land registry records and each flat has a lease of 99 years from 25 December 1984. I will suggest that we all renew at the same time. Is there any advantage/disadvantage to us being the only ones to renew? Presumably we could benefit from marriage value if the other freeholder decide to renew at a later date? Also is there any advantage to renewing to 999 years instead of 90?

Thanks

Comment

The best scenario is all 3 of you renew at the same time as you can use 1 solicitor. The only cost would be each of you paying your solicitors costs typicallly 400 to 500 pounds. If two of you renew for no cost, it would be unfair to charge the third leaseholder at a later date. 999 years is more appealing to buyers.

Comment

Thanks. I have proposed that we all extend at the same time. If the other freeholders decline, is there any disadvantage to us?

Comment

Hi trunkie,

I would say get the vendor to extend the lease to a length agreeable to you and your partner before you buy. That way it is up to her to arrange to have the lease extended with the agreement of the other freeholders and for her to pay the premium (if any) and the legal costs to do so.

This way the marriage value and any problems associated with all the parties being in agreement is not your concern. If your vendor refuses to do it this way I would want to know why.

I think it will be in the memorandum and articles of association of the freehold company that once you purchase the leasehold interest you will become an equal shareholder in the company. Be mindful that after you purchase you will need three people including yourself of course to all be in agreement in future to change anything. Also, depending on how long you keep the flat, these people will change over time.

Comment

Just to add to my post above, I would recommend you read this article on buying freehold flats. Granted you are buying in as a freeholder but it will give you the reality associated with buying flats and plenty food for thought.

http://leaseholdpropertymanager.blogspot.co.uk/

The blog is maintained by the prolific poster on this forum: leaseholderanswers

Comment

Originally posted by trunkie View Post
                    Thanks. I have proposed that we all extend at the same time. If the other freeholders decline, is there any disadvantage to us?
                    No. It is in their best interest to extend now as it becomes more difficult to obtain a mortgage with less than 70 years on the lease. Ask your solicitor to draw up a Deed of Variation to extend the lease which can be in the sellers name. The other 2 leaseholders sign. You all agree to not charge anything for lease extensions if they do not want to extend at this time.

Comment

Thanks. But even if the other freeholders do not wish to renew at this time, couldn't they claim a premium from us for the uplift or is this negated by the fact that they have yet to achieve the uplift on their properties?

Comment

trunkie,

No you cannot prevent the "legally agree to not claim marriage value before we proceed" as the proceeds of the lease extension premium ( which will include marriage value) will be determined and divided up as the company/freeholder ha, hopefully, agreed earlier. The flat vendor is the one likely to benefit form the proceeds, rather than you, and this should be taken account of by them in their sale.
                        Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. Would you mind explaining how "The flat vendor is the one likely to benefit form the proceeds, rather than you, and this should be taken account of by them in their sale"
                          Do you mean they will have marketed the flat with this in mind? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just finding this whole process incredibly complicated and confusing!

Comment

The freeholder owns a valuable asset in that lease extensions are wortht something to the freehold company and its members or shareholders, or the people that jointly own the freehold.

therefore they should have or as is sadly the case will have to decide how they will split your cheque for the lease extension premium.

I doubt the freeholder or your vendor are fully aware of this.....
                            Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

So provided that the 3 current freeholders (the vendor and the other 2 flats) agree that we can extend our individual lease for £1 then everything is good and no marriage value will come into play?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Help - Loft Demise - Lease - Trespassing??
                                by Mrmckenzie74
                                Hi all!

Hope you're all well?

I'm new here so I hope you don't mind my direct approach.
                                I may be in a bit of a pickle and could really do with a bit of advice on the following...

Snap shot:

Top floor flat

Purpose built maisonettes...
                                24-01-2020, 16:51 PM
                              • Reply to Help - Loft Demise - Lease - Trespassing??
                                by REPE1993
                                Lawcruncher

Am in similar situation as OP. Lease makes no mention of loft or attic space by word - but the loft is not included in the plan appended to the lease.

I would assume that as a detailed plan of the demise is in included - one can assume that what is not on that plan...
                                20-10-2021, 21:39 PM
                              • Freeholder/Agent Demanding Money for Repairs
                                by SSLA91
                                Hi all,

Long time lurker of this forum and recent new member. Have always found the forum incredibly helpful so thank you! Have now got an issue with our freeholder that I could use some specific advice on (have tried searching for similar posts but to no avail).

We have recently...
                                20-10-2021, 20:28 PM
                              • Reply to Freeholder/Agent Demanding Money for Repairs
                                by Macromia
                                The parts of the lease that you quote in the above part of your original post, particularly the bits I've highlighted in red, make it clear that the 'landlord' (i.e. the freeholder) is responsible for maintaining the boundary walls, and that the leases definition of "building" does include...
                                20-10-2021, 21:36 PM
                              • Reply to Share of freehold questions - confused
                                by Macromia
                                Realistically, they don't.
                                That's the type of situation that my comments in this old thread were highlighting.

If the directors are breaching the lease, and can't be made to understand that they can't do this, the only real option is to get control of the management of the property...
                                20-10-2021, 21:10 PM
                              • Share of freehold questions - confused
                                by sixunforced
                                Not sure if this is the right place for this query but anyway, I'm a first time buyer and have been searching for a property for like two years now (not continuously but on and off and obv covid halted my search for a while). I found a really nice 2 bedroom flat for under £320,000 in a block of around...
                                18-11-2020, 21:19 PM
                                by landlord-man
                                I would be raising a formal complaint with conveyancer if they didnt fully advise you.

If the wall is that bad (visibly) and you were aware of the lease implications, would you have completed on the purchase?...
                                20-10-2021, 20:46 PM
                                by Section20z
                                Yep, you have to contribute your share of building upkeep. It does however sound like there should be section 20 consultation so maybe ask to see the quotes. They might be claiming exemption...
                                20-10-2021, 20:43 PM
                              • Freeholder threatening to cut water off
                                by Disraeli-LLH
                                I was hoping you would be able to help. We own a ground floor flat LLH(970 yrs remaining). The freeholder owns the house and lets the flat upstairs on an AST.

The freeholder currently undertaking works including replumbing. We have been on a shared water supply and we connect through their...
                                20-10-2021, 15:35 PM
                              • Reply to Freeholder threatening to cut water off
                                by Disraeli-LLH
                                He told us about his intentions Monday 18th October and intends to cut the supply on Friday 22nd.

He is saying the separating of supplies will go through the service charge and we will be responsible for any cost / works required within our flat. This will involve ripping up floor boards...
                                20-10-2021, 18:49 PM
                              Working...
                              X