Valuation of the freehold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valuation of the freehold

We are a conversion of 5 flats that are considering buying the freehold. 4 of the flats have 93 years left plus 50 ground rent, but one has extended the lease to 184 with no ground rent. 4 are 1 bedroom and the garden flat is 2 plus a garden.

When a valuation is done, are all 5 flats valued independently according to size and lease length and then a figure is obtained for the freehold purchase. Would the flats then pay according to their individual valuation or would it just be split 5 ways?

If one flat did not want to particiapte, the remaining 4 leaseholders would divide the cost in 4 of this flat and then have the option to sell on the lease extension.

If all five take part. Take the price of the freehold and apportion £100 to the flat with 184 years and then divide the balance in the ratio of the enfranchisable price for each of the four flats. In this context enfranchisable price is the price a lessee would have to pay for a statutory lease extentsion

If four flats take part (assuming the flat with 184 years is a participator ) Take the price of the freehold and apportion £100 to the flat with 184 years and then divide the balance in the ratio of the four flats. The flat that does not take part, that costs is split equally amongst the participators and when in time a lease extentsion is requested you split the proceeds equally.

As far as legal and valuation fees are concerned I would suggest they are split equally amongst the participators

Comment

To put it another way assume that after purchase all flats will be on the same lease term by granting an extension.

If the price of the freehold is say £4500 deduct a notional value of £100 per flat to reflect their value, to a freeholder, after new leases are granted.

£4000 is therefore the amount that reflects the value of selling lease extensions in the future, £1000 per flat.

So 4 flats pay £1000+£100 each and 1 flat ( who already has a longer lease) pays £100.

If one flat does not participate, then the £1100 that no one is going to pay in, is split between the four who will.

3 flats pay £1000 + £100 + £ 275 each

1 flat ( who already has a longer lease) pays £100 + £275.

The £275 is best treated as a loan which is repayable when the 4th lease extension is sold.

This assumes that the freehold price is known and agreed all flats are worth the same and is very much a back of the envelope method

Here is an example where as I suspect you need to get to the freehold price rather than working with a figure given to you on an offer of first refusal.

http://www.lease-advice.org/publicat...nt.asp?item=12
      Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Thank you for your advice. I am the leaseholder with the long lease who has been approached by another leaseholder regarding purchasing the freehold. I want to obtain a ballpark figure so I can approach the other 3 leaseholders before we get a valuation. Obviously I do not want to pay the same as the others as I paid 5000K to extend my lease 4 years ago so you have answered that question for me.

I have worked out that a 90Yr extension for the other flats is between 6-7K. However this does not allow for the increase in ground rent which is currently at 100 rising every 30 years so I put in a value of 150GBP. I dont understand how to add a value for the reversion. Currently the flats are worth 350-400K each.

Costs I estimate at 1000-1500 per flat to include both solicitors and valuers. This is just for the freehold and not for the lease extensions to be done as well.

If all leaseholders are in agreement. is it best to approach the freeholder informally first? The managing agents of our block are also chartered surveyors - would it be best to approach them first as I am sure the freeholder will use their surveyors.

Thanks

Comment

As you are not approaching the 80 year mark I would suggest you try informerly at first

Comment

With the variable ground rent its a question of adjusting the value to reflect the right to get additional income at a point in time.

At this stage I suggest that you approach this as a worst case scenario and explain that on a back of the envelope basis, you in-putted £100, and then higher amounts for the future reviews in the form of an average over the term.

If its goes up in increments such as £50 then I suggest using £130, it its £100 then £160 and if it doubles, I'd use £220.

Otherwise you would have to work out the reviews and their current value of the right to receive the increased income in x years which requires tables and a knowledge of the yield to apply. Which you get by paying for a valuation
            Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• collective enfranchisement
              by flyingfreehold
              Does a leaseholder have to be a registered proprietor to join a collective? Or is it sufficient for her/his/it to be a transferee whose interest is not yet registered?
              21-05-2022, 18:51 PM
            • Reply to collective enfranchisement
              by flyingfreehold
              at risk of answering my own question, the leaseholder has to prove title which is a bit difficult if not registered........
              21-05-2022, 21:23 PM
            • Building works & S20 process
              by RichA
              Hi. I have a freehold after selling a leasehold flat in a block of 4 flats. We don't currently have a managing agent, so these duties currently fall to me (I am holding off appointing a managing agent whilst the leaseholders consider whether they want to RTM).

The block needs some maintenance...
              21-05-2022, 17:20 PM
            • Reply to Building works & S20 process
              by scot22
              It is relatively simple to administer process. However, definitely engage professional to define necessary work and project manage.

If I can, anybody can.
              21-05-2022, 20:19 PM
            • Reply to collective enfranchisement
              by Tipper
              Ask lease-advice.org
              21-05-2022, 18:59 PM
            • Reply to Levy
              by scot22
              Thanks Gordon. There was no info other than amount and invoice which explained nothing !
              21-05-2022, 17:16 PM
            • Reply to Share of feehold/shared service charges?
              by Macromia
              They are correct that the purchase of the freehold has no relevance (although it would allow the three of you to alter the leases if you are all in agreement).

Unless you alter the leases you continue to split service charge costs according to what the terms of your leases say - sharing...
              21-05-2022, 17:14 PM
            • Changes to lease wording
              by bigalxyz
              In the process of buying freehold for our building. 9 participants (from 11 flats).

Our solicitor will extend leases to 999 years for an additional fee if we want to. She has asked, as part of that extension process:

“Are there any amendments that you are seeking to make...
              14-05-2022, 12:27 PM
            • Reply to Changes to lease wording
              by Lawcruncher
              If the leases are going to be for 999 years there is not a lot of point imposing a restriction in such terms. It is also open to interpretation. You have to decide first if you are going to allow subletting at all. That has to depend on what people want. If any owner already sublets then you cannot...
              21-05-2022, 17:09 PM
            • Reply to Levy
              by Macromia
              ...And it still going to depend on what it is for (and on what your lease allows to be charged for, and when.

Service charge demands have to include details such as a service address for the freeholder, and have to be accompanied by an appropriate copy of 'leaseholders rights and responsibilities',...
              21-05-2022, 16:53 PM
            Working...
            X