to be used as private residential flats and for no other purpose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

to be used as private residential flats and for no other purpose

Can someone help define what this means. Is this a restrictive user clause or could i still rent out a flat if the above clause was in the lease. Also does it restrict who the flat could be let to or rather to how many people. Does this clause prevent you from turning the flat into an hmo?

To me it would mean not commercial i.e not used for business purposes.
    "I'm afraid I didn't do enough background checks apart from checking her identity on Facebook" - ANON

What I say is based on my own experience and research - Please don't take as gospel without first checking the gospel yourself.

Comment

An HMO is a business.

Comment

Yes, but the use of the flat is still residential and not commercial (ie. it's not an office or a shop).

I don't think such clause prevents letting. Many houses also have such covenant in their freehold titles.

Comment

Seems to be clearly stated. It's for private use only. Not business. Not tenanted out. Private use. You own it, you live there.
          I may be a housing professional but my views, thoughts, opinions, advice, criticisms or otherwise on this board are mine and are not representative of my company, colleagues, managers. I am here as an independent human being who simply wants to learn new stuff, share ideas and interact with like minded people.

Comment

Can't agree here - If rented out to a single family it is still a private residence. If the clause was meant to say what you imply it would say "private use for the occupation of the owner and their family only" or something similar. I would argue that even if using as an HMO it is still a private residence but I accept that this is a grey area that you could argue either way.

Comment

As said, such clauses are common so I don't think there is much grey area. The key is to ask someone who is knowledgeable about this topic, e.g. a conveyancing solicitor.

In fact, if one googles the wording of that clause a tribunal decision shows up, in which the tribunal ruled that even holiday letting was fine:
              http://www.residential-property.judi...e/40004MV8.htm

Comment

That Tribunal case was decided on the fact that sub-letting was not prohibited by Lease at the material time.

Every case is different and as the Tribunal states, they are not bound by any other Tribunal decisions. Still a good explanation of what the Clause means

Comment

Well the question was whether the clause prevented sub-letting, so it is assumed that there is no specific such prohibition somewhere else in the lease.

Comment

Originally posted by ram View Post
                    An HMO is a business.
                    But so is a BTL....the use is at issue not who or what is "using" as a private residential flat.
                    Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Originally posted by jjlandlord View Post
                      In fact, if one googles the wording of that clause a tribunal decision shows up, in which the tribunal ruled that even holiday letting was fine:
                      http://www.residential-property.judi...e/40004MV8.htm
                      Be careful, I was advised that the case referenced was later challenged in other cases and now deemed to be incorrect.

Comment

I see that this has been discussed before here > http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...p/t-26387.html with the general conclusion that letting is allowed, I couldnt find any mention of the Maymo case being appealed to the UT/Higher Court though.
                        Advice given is based on my experience representing myself as a leaseholder both in the County Court and at Leasehold Valuation Tribunals.

I do not accept any liability to you in relation to the advice given.

It is always recommended you seek further advice from a solicitor or legal expert.

Always read your lease first, it is the legally binding contract between leaseholder and freeholder.

Comment

It is a user clause. We have to ask what the people in the building are using it for. Are they using it a way which could be considered not private? Are they using it for other than a residential purpose? Are they using it in such a way that a reasonable person would say that the separate parts are not flats? If the answer in each case is "no" then there is no breach of the clause.

Comment

Private residential flat should mean private for one family living in the flat. HMO is a situation where 2 or more families live in the same property and share the bathroom and kitchen so that is NOT private.

Comment

Surely if the intention of the lease is to restrict letting or HMO use then the lease will include clauses about-

a) single family use
                              b) restricting subletting
                              c) not subletting part as distinct from the whole

I personally wouldn't read that clause as a restriction on any kind of residential use in isolation.

Maybe the OP can advise if there are other relevant clauses

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Balcony repairs - lease issue
                                by Lawcruncher
                                It is not really possible to answer your question without knowing exactly what your lease says, please quote in full:

The "parcels" that is the part which describes what is included and (possibly) excluded.
                                The tenant's repairing obligations
                                The landlord's...
                                05-07-2022, 22:20 PM
                              • Balcony repairs - lease issue
                                by Jones666
                                Hi, new poster here, legal ignoramus. We live on the middle floor of a three story building (i.e. the British first floor), freehold jointly held as individual leases by all owners equally and managed by a residents' committee who employ estate managers. We and the flat above have balconies which are...
                                05-07-2022, 11:13 AM
                              • Responsibility on my freehold
                                by paul woodford
                                I am joint freeholder with the property upstairs and have had issues with our roof leaking. After many repairs paying my 50% to the cost, the upstairs owner has decided to extend into the loft space and onto 50% of the flat roof at the back. I thought this would reduce the cost to me to the front of...
                                05-07-2022, 20:44 PM
                              • Property Purchase - Environment Search came back with....
                                by John2005
                                Hi all. I have a question that was not linked to the same subject as my other topic so I figured it would make sense to create a new topic for this one.

I'm in the process of purchasing a flat and I have seen on one of the searches 'Environment' one to be specific - state "Further...
                                04-07-2022, 02:40 AM
                              • Reply to Property Purchase - Environment Search came back with....
                                by Tipper
                                For ground contamination you would be better to seek out a hydrogeologist as they deal with ground water and contamination issues and its remediation. Much of their work is desk research and then followed by any necessary on site tests.

It is likely that full site tests and necessary clean-up...
                                05-07-2022, 19:05 PM
                                by Sydaton
                                It sounds to me that the Estate Managers are wrong. From what you say, the balcony is exactly that, a balcony, it might be an extension of the downstairs ceiling but at the moment it passes through the wall it becomes your balcony. And, from what you say, you are responsible for its repair.
                                05-07-2022, 12:40 PM
                                by royw
                                Can 'ceiling' apply to something outside the property? Seems a bit of stretch to me. Suggest you post the relevant part of the lease.
                                05-07-2022, 12:23 PM
                                by JK0
                                It should be a certain proportion of the total cost, surely? I don't see how you can apportion different amounts to different flats.
                                05-07-2022, 11:34 AM
                                by AndrewDod
                                It is going to depend on the exact wording of the lease (definitions of things like "building" and so on). There is no external rule....
                                05-07-2022, 11:22 AM
                              • Reply to Missing joint freeholder in 2x flat block, able to to gain share of freehold?
                                by JonRo15
                                Thanks vmart...the other leaseholder/freeholder is desperate to sell her flat, as well and the part of the freehold. She is unable to sell/extend lease/transfer title without the missing freeholder, as there was no Declaration of Trust or similar in place. There is no company, just two individuals....
                                05-07-2022, 08:56 AM
                              Working...
                              X