to be used as private residential flats and for no other purpose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

to be used as private residential flats and for no other purpose

Can someone help define what this means. Is this a restrictive user clause or could i still rent out a flat if the above clause was in the lease. Also does it restrict who the flat could be let to or rather to how many people. Does this clause prevent you from turning the flat into an hmo?

To me it would mean not commercial i.e not used for business purposes.
    "I'm afraid I didn't do enough background checks apart from checking her identity on Facebook" - ANON

What I say is based on my own experience and research - Please don't take as gospel without first checking the gospel yourself.

Comment

An HMO is a business.

Comment

Yes, but the use of the flat is still residential and not commercial (ie. it's not an office or a shop).

I don't think such clause prevents letting. Many houses also have such covenant in their freehold titles.

Comment

Seems to be clearly stated. It's for private use only. Not business. Not tenanted out. Private use. You own it, you live there.
          I may be a housing professional but my views, thoughts, opinions, advice, criticisms or otherwise on this board are mine and are not representative of my company, colleagues, managers. I am here as an independent human being who simply wants to learn new stuff, share ideas and interact with like minded people.

Comment

Can't agree here - If rented out to a single family it is still a private residence. If the clause was meant to say what you imply it would say "private use for the occupation of the owner and their family only" or something similar. I would argue that even if using as an HMO it is still a private residence but I accept that this is a grey area that you could argue either way.

Comment

As said, such clauses are common so I don't think there is much grey area. The key is to ask someone who is knowledgeable about this topic, e.g. a conveyancing solicitor.

In fact, if one googles the wording of that clause a tribunal decision shows up, in which the tribunal ruled that even holiday letting was fine:
              http://www.residential-property.judi...e/40004MV8.htm

Comment

That Tribunal case was decided on the fact that sub-letting was not prohibited by Lease at the material time.

Every case is different and as the Tribunal states, they are not bound by any other Tribunal decisions. Still a good explanation of what the Clause means

Comment

Well the question was whether the clause prevented sub-letting, so it is assumed that there is no specific such prohibition somewhere else in the lease.

Comment

Originally posted by ram View Post
                    An HMO is a business.
                    But so is a BTL....the use is at issue not who or what is "using" as a private residential flat.
                    Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Originally posted by jjlandlord View Post
                      In fact, if one googles the wording of that clause a tribunal decision shows up, in which the tribunal ruled that even holiday letting was fine:
                      http://www.residential-property.judi...e/40004MV8.htm
                      Be careful, I was advised that the case referenced was later challenged in other cases and now deemed to be incorrect.

Comment

I see that this has been discussed before here > http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...p/t-26387.html with the general conclusion that letting is allowed, I couldnt find any mention of the Maymo case being appealed to the UT/Higher Court though.
                        Advice given is based on my experience representing myself as a leaseholder both in the County Court and at Leasehold Valuation Tribunals.

I do not accept any liability to you in relation to the advice given.

It is always recommended you seek further advice from a solicitor or legal expert.

Always read your lease first, it is the legally binding contract between leaseholder and freeholder.

Comment

It is a user clause. We have to ask what the people in the building are using it for. Are they using it a way which could be considered not private? Are they using it for other than a residential purpose? Are they using it in such a way that a reasonable person would say that the separate parts are not flats? If the answer in each case is "no" then there is no breach of the clause.

Comment

Private residential flat should mean private for one family living in the flat. HMO is a situation where 2 or more families live in the same property and share the bathroom and kitchen so that is NOT private.

Comment

Surely if the intention of the lease is to restrict letting or HMO use then the lease will include clauses about-

a) single family use
                              b) restricting subletting
                              c) not subletting part as distinct from the whole

I personally wouldn't read that clause as a restriction on any kind of residential use in isolation.

Maybe the OP can advise if there are other relevant clauses

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Lease Extension - Relativity
                                by comm1985
                                Hoping to get some clarification,

If a flat (Outside Greater London) with 60 years left is sold for £110,000 and comparable properties with longer leases attain £160,000

What is the relativity in this case?

Would it be £110000 less 5.5% (to estimate for no act...
                                17-05-2022, 15:12 PM
                              • Reply to Lease Extension - Relativity
                                by sgclacy
                                Because it is a highly complicated subject and only the finest brains in the land can grapple with the subject - that is what the valuers will say .

Gerald eve graph is highly respected and is one of the many that the Tribunal will rely on

it is interesting that if you discount...
                                17-05-2022, 15:58 PM
                              • RTM director service charge arrears
                                by ARG
                                Hello, I am new here so please excuse me if this question has already been asked, but a search has drawn a blank.

I am a director of an RTM of a property with 25 flats. I would be very grateful if anyone here can advise whether a resident who is more than six months in arrears with his...
                                17-05-2022, 15:38 PM
                              • Neighbour Dispute over Bins
                                by Tony-Edwards
                                Hello

I could do with some guidance if anyone has any knowledge on this.

I have a 100 year old flat that was split from a larger building in 2000 and has a 999 year lease, it is next door to a commercial premises.

The only way to get to my flat is across their...
                                17-05-2022, 14:40 PM
                              • Reply to Continuing the Section 42 notice
                                by Muchroom
                                Thank you to sgclacy and Gordon999
                                17-05-2022, 14:28 PM
                                by Muchroom
                                I have managed to track down the vendors Solicitors who are in receipt of his reply which has now been sent to my solicitor so I am back on track and it will all now go ahead.

Just got a little panicked as I know you have to adhere to a particular timeline.
                                17-05-2022, 14:26 PM
                              • Car park underletting
                                by Neil2011
                                Dear all,

A non resident leaseholder (renting his property out) is under the impression that he can let anyone (including non residents and those not associated with any residents or the property ) use his car parking space paid or unpaid. The management company of which I am chairman disagree....
                                17-05-2022, 08:16 AM
                              • Reply to Car park underletting
                                by Neil2011
                                Sorry it actually reads " the lessee or occupier of the other car parking space"

Kind regards,

Neil
                                17-05-2022, 09:15 AM
                              • Continuing the Section 42 notice
                                by Muchroom
                                Just completed on a flat that came with the section 42 notice already served.
                                Deed of assignment was served on the freeholder just before completion.

I am eager to continue with the lease extension but not sure where I go from here.

I have written to the freeholder on...
                                16-05-2022, 17:25 PM
                                by Gordon999
                                If you get no reply after 2 months, you have to check if freeholder's Counter Notice was sent to previous address stated on S42 Notice.

Under leasehold reforms announced by Government, it proposes intention to abolish "marriage value" ....
                                17-05-2022, 08:25 AM
                              Working...
                              X