QLTA time limit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

QLTA time limit

Just a query really, the L&T act is clear that QLTAs are those lasting more than 12 months [http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/.../section/20ZA], so why do agents routinely write contracts shorter than a year (eg http://leaseholdlawyer.wordpress.com...-of-12-months/).

All very well, but this cannot have been the intention, from this definition an MA could charge whatever they like for a years management with no need to consult. Likewise all the annual contracts would be exempt from consultation.

So has the LVT/FTT ever ruled that an annual contract should have been consulted upon?

And what if the agent just skips the contract and says an arrangement is ad-hoc, has the LVT/FTT ever said an ad-hoc arrangement should be consulted as a QLTA?

I believe no, consulaltation isnt needed for 12 months or less contracts but an ftt could still judicate on its reasonableness.
    Advice given is based on my experience representing myself as a leaseholder both in the County Court and at Leasehold Valuation Tribunals.

I do not accept any liability to you in relation to the advice given.

It is always recommended you seek further advice from a solicitor or legal expert.

Always read your lease first, it is the legally binding contract between leaseholder and freeholder.

Comment

There are also other routes to replace poor performing managing agents and various rics codes.
      Advice given is based on my experience representing myself as a leaseholder both in the County Court and at Leasehold Valuation Tribunals.

I do not accept any liability to you in relation to the advice given.

It is always recommended you seek further advice from a solicitor or legal expert.

Always read your lease first, it is the legally binding contract between leaseholder and freeholder.

Comment

Because a year IS twelve months, a QLTA is for MORE than 12 months.

Management contracts are typically for a year and "hold over" the parties agreeing that the services in the original contract carry on until either terminates as the contract stipulated, normally a quarters notice.

They can only charge their fee in agreement with the client, and that is only part of the overall service charge again which is agreed with the client. The total service charge is not their charge, its made up of the competent parts, as they are agents and managers, not a contractor or supplier.

The case to which you refer turned on the reference to a two year fee review clause, so that it was clear that the contract was intended to be for more than 12 months. There is always the potential for such a determination as you ask but one has not been made to date.
        Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

If they hold over LEASE say that they are QLTAs [http://www.lease-advice.org/publicat...asp?item=20#3]. And the idea of renewing the contract every year with the same agent an no consultation looks like just evading the law, can the LVT/FTT just say it that if it quacks like a duck...

It is all bonkers anyway, the agent has a contract with the freeholder saying the leaseholders will pay X, the LH are not parties to the agreement, do not see it and are unaware of its contents, we are just magically bound by it.

How can it ever have been dreamed up that the MA can charge a figure, have that figure instantly payable and enforceable, so the LH must risk 100s/1000s in fees and time off work to fight off the unreasonable charge. And even if you win, what is to stop the FH just signing a new contract with the same agent next year.

I had one where I was charged electricity for a heater that did not exist, got the LVT to throw it out, but the MA still demanded the same figure, said it was his estimate to fit a heater, never did thankfully.

The legislation promises protection, but lays out barn doors to avoid the regulation and has no teeth anyway.

Comment

you have looked at public sector, and havent read my post the lease is the binding contract, the agent is just that acting for the freeholder,as agent, organisng the freeholders affairs. if you cant grasp that think of them as free holders rep....
            Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Sorry I got the wrong link when I went back to pick up the URL, the lease site says management contracts are 'potentially' subject to QLTA [http://www.lease-advice.org/publicat...asp?item=19#5].

In this property the FH wants to extend and build new flat, but that would cause difficulties living in the existing flats, so we are being subjected to harassment until we all go along.

The regulations are so wide open this can all be done quite legally fully within the terms of the lease, ARMA and RICs.

How do I get out of it, the common parts look like a slum and the service charge is half as much as the mortgage for most so buyers run for the hills?

I can sell at a 30% loss or continue being ripped of a couple of grand a year on average or risk many thousands fighting it. Logically the long slow rip off and hope the FH goes bust seems the best way to go but it is not nice to see bullies prosper.

Comment

And I have explained where the potential you identify does not arise.

The freeholder is entitled to develop the building as he sees fit, but does have an obligation to all owners for quiet enjoyment, and in lay terms not to interfere too much with the rights that he has granted you and home you have been sold.

In these cases it’s a matter of negotiation via mediation if required so that everyone gets something out of it, or he will press ahead and cause a maximum of upset for you, leaving you no choice but expensive litigation.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to AGM cancelled.
                  by Grumio
                  The articles state they must declare any kind of interest directly or indirectly, problem is it’s kind of hard to deal with people who keep messing everyone around, calling an AGM and then cancelling it for eg. We have called meetings with them in the past and they don’t turn up. How can you deal...
                  26-01-2022, 14:35 PM
                • AGM cancelled.
                  by Grumio
                  Is this legal?

A bit of background, we currently have three directors, we are allowed to have up to a maximum of eight directors according to the articles of association. We are all leaseholders. Last summer the three directors decided to hire a managing agent who is now in charge of the...
                  26-01-2022, 00:46 AM
                  by eagle2
                  Any meeting which you decide to hold will be an informal meeting only, you do need to follow the correct procedure if you wish to hold a valid meeting,

The Articles should state whether or not directors need to declare conflicts of interest and whether or not they are entitled to vote on...
                  26-01-2022, 13:30 PM
                  by Grumio
                  It is both a managing agent and a residence Association. But we want to go back to managing the block ourselves.

Thanks for the reply, yes invitations have been sent to all our members. And I agree, they should not cancel the AGM, especially when they haven’t got a plausible reason to...
                  26-01-2022, 12:12 PM
                • Reply to Lease extension triggers doubling ground rent change
                  by sgclacy
                  Doubling every 25 years is simply a guess as to what inflation may be, if inflation of the current levels ( about 6% ) was to continue the real value of the rent would fall by 77% and doubling would not address the enormous damage done by inflation. However, if inflation was less than 2.81% per annum...
                  26-01-2022, 11:57 AM
                • Reply to Lease extension triggers doubling ground rent change
                  by Section20z
                  You are clearly using the informal route and can thus negotiate whatever terms you like.
                  freeholder will want to retain some ground rent but avoid the doubling clause, maybe suggest small fixed rises every ten years....
                  26-01-2022, 10:40 AM
                • Service charges according to floorspace vs lease stipulation
                  by Santa Fe
                  Hello. I own a flat in a block of four. The new owner of the smallest flat is disputing their contribution to service charges based on floor size. All four flats have historically paid 25% each, but of the four leases only mine states that I pay 25%. I have spoken with a solicitor about this and he...
                  24-01-2022, 22:55 PM
                • Reply to Service charges according to floorspace vs lease stipulation
                  by Section20z
                  Quite, there is also the question here of who the actual freeholder is and whether the whole thing is any concern of the OP who only ever need pay 25% !!...
                  26-01-2022, 10:25 AM
                  by eagle2
                  Yes, I am confused too. If there is a Residents Association, it is required to comply with its constitution.

There seems to be a Company involved as well. Whether or not it is required to hold an AGM depends on its Articles, AGMs can be cancelled for various reasons, lockdowns are an example,...
                  26-01-2022, 10:19 AM
                • Reply to Service charges according to floorspace vs lease stipulation
                  by eagle2
                  I think that we have found 3 possible alternatives already and no doubt we could find more, As Section20z says it is very rare for a court or a tribunal to intervene, The lease appears to allow the freeholder (?) to decide what is fair and reasonable and it has decided that an equal share is reasonable,...
                  26-01-2022, 10:01 AM
                Working...
                X