Tenant constantly harrassing me; Much Ado About Nothing!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant constantly harrassing me; Much Ado About Nothing!

I have given up communicating with my only tenant who leases my building's only flat; last five years has been a circus of harrassment, from verbal to physical. Its a lovely property, no problems except on her part. Have given up on maintenance charges and asking her to abide by the lease requirements she is liable for. Here's the latest quip:

Nice one John but would prefer you to use the correct title 'owner of the downstairs flat'!! Get rather tired of your attitude. Thank you.
    On 17 Dec 2013, at 16:33, John wrote:

Dear Dave.

When the scaffolding company were removing the scaffolding they accidentally broke one of the downstairs tenant's flower pots, A nice blue and white china one. They tried to tell the downstairs tenent but no one was home and they told me that their boss would contact Mrs XXXX and resolve the issue. I mentioned to Mrs XXXX that they would be contacting him and left it at that.

Today, 3 weeks later, I received the following e-mail. Can you please take care of this matter urgently. You can contact the tenant, Mrs xxxxxxxxxxxx, yours, John
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________-
    ADDENDUM: This is pretty mild, there's a lot more including her telling the local council that she owns the building while I was out of the country so she could illegally install exterior and interior hardware; I installed a beautiful new garden arch and gate between our two gardens and her reaction was to pile rubbish up against the gate and send an email telling me it is "too ornamental"; writing to English Heritage after the building listing was ammended to complain that I had entered her flat illegally (she was there and had given written permission);. More, but not worth writing down. She has a behavior problem; fine, except I don't want it to become my problem.
    This is the first tenant, in the last 45 years of being a landlord, that has given me so much grief about nothing. John

The trick is to negotiate with those that will negotiate. For those that will take great pleasure in an argument be clear and to the point, then sue.
    Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Thank you, and you are correct. Even our solicitor is baffled because this has gone from the sublime to the ridiculous. He has informed me that the tenant's continuous and contentious behavior is so carefully crafted that it is below the legal radar; that it's a personality problem and we are her victims. In addition, she is wealthy and we are pensioners in our seventies.

We would just simply like the tenant to "cease and desist" so we can live in peace. Every attempt on our part to me agreeable and socially polite is met with more contention, to the point of her calling us derogatory names in public and threatening us with a lawsuit for harrassing her.

For the last several months we simply avoid the tenant and continue to make sure we are in compliance as Landlords. But even doing that is difficult, as when we had the roof repaired last month she insisted that we use "her roofer" which we did just to keep her quiet, and it is her roofer who damaged her flower pot. She has not washed her windows in nine years, and we offered to have our window washer do hers for free; The retort was "Stay Away from My Windows".

We could jump through Hoops on Fire and she would not be happy. John

Comment

Tenant? That means you can get rid. Why is she still there?
        Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Sorry, not very clear on the situation. Is she a tenant (paying rent) or a leaseholder (paying ground rent and maybe a service charge)? Presumably you are the freeholder?

If she is a tenant you just get rid. If a leaseholder, then you need to acknowledge that she does own her flat and may well be insulted by use of the word tenant.

Comment

Well.. leaseholder does still rent the flat, just on a very long term.
            Advice given is based on my experience representing myself as a leaseholder both in the County Court and at Leasehold Valuation Tribunals.

I do not accept any liability to you in relation to the advice given.

It is always recommended you seek further advice from a solicitor or legal expert.

Always read your lease first, it is the legally binding contract between leaseholder and freeholder.

Comment

Yes, Andy, but the question here is about the precise status of this woman and her flat, because that influences the type of action OP can take.

Comment

It is the other flat owner. They are a tenant, with a long lease at a low (ground) rent. Sounds like a case of not rising to the bait and keeping it simple and clear and abandoning any notiion of neighbourly living.

Though tenant is incorrect, you are only giving them something to e mail about. "Don't feed the downstairs troll!."

Bill service charges under the lease, correctly, and dont engage in discussion or extended exchanges. Its for insurance, risk assessments etc. If unpaid give her the letter before action and then sue. The amusing part of these peoplees issues is that rather than engaging, less is more, and they inevitably undermine their own credibility, like sawing a branch while perched at the tip, not the stem.
                Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                X