Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flooding-leasehold property

Hi All,

I have a flat on the 2nd floor of a leasehold building.

Over the last few months the freeholder has decided that the building needs some "modernizing" to bring it up to speed with the rest of the street.

One of these modifications has been to replace a number of roof tiles and remove the chimney on the roof, which is directly above my property. During a rather bad storm a number of weeks ago, a fair amount of rain water has leaked through my ceiling, through my floor and into the flat below. I live around 400 miles from this buy to let flat so have no reason of knowing if this is actually true or not.

I have just received an invoice for 680 GBP to have the interiors repaired in the said flat below mine.

Is this my responsibility? I struggle to see what I have done wrong? The freeholder, who lives below the flat mentioned incidentally, has commissioned these roofers and they have failed to make my flat water tight.

Please advice what to do.

Cheers,

Max

Will the freeholders insurance not cover the risk?
    [I]The opinions I give are simply my opinions and interpretations of what I have learnt, in numerous years as a property professional, I would not rely upon them without consulting with a paid advisor and providing them with all the relevant facts[I]

Comment

The freeholder will have insurance on the whole building of which you are probably paying a portion of in your annual charges.

Therefore the roof works may have come under the freeholders insurance as indicated above- however if the roofers were at fault then he should be claiming on their insurance.

Do not pay this bill and ask for clarification and point out that the roofers were at fault. If the freeholder persists tell him to bring a case against you in the small claims court as you disagree with his logic.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

talk to your neighbour and explain water came in via the roof soaked you and them. together you both claim as suggested.
        Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Great advice all, thank you. Merry Xmas.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X