Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about s20c LTA 1985

Hello,

I am a leaseholder in a building with 10 properties. Every year we pay a service charge based on the number of shares we have in a residents' association. A leaseholder sued and obtained a s20c order, ie. he does not have to pay the legal costs of the residents' association.
    So, what happens next? Who is paying his part in the legal costs?
    Do we have to divide the costs in 9 instead of 10? If not, how does it work? (The association has no asset).

Thanks

Because the lessee obtained a Section 20C order you cannot pass your legal costs through the service charges. You will have to raise a contribution from the shareholders to keep the company solvent. If you don't raise enough then the company may have to fold.

You cannot use the reserve monies to pay the legal costs as they have not been deemed allowable.

Comment

Are you sure that the % for SC should not be the figure set in the lease?

Unless the articles make provision for sevices and that is left to the lease*, most standard Articles limit liability to £1 a share. As sgclacy sais the company will have to pass a resolution to call on shareholders to make up the loss - £ loss /no of shares.

* If it is left to the lease then all SC inc reserves are held in trust seperate to theaffairs of the company and only for purpuses set out in the lease. Even if that includes payment of such fees, the section 20c order bars that.

(As I was explaining on another thread much to the others persons reluctance to accept it.)
      Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

The lease just says the service charge is to be paid in accordance to the rules of the association. It is not a percentage, it is a variable amount per share held. The funds of the association are held on trust as they are service charges.

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholdanswers View Post
          Are you sure that the % for SC should not be the figure set in the lease?

Unless the articles make provision for sevices and that is left to the lease*, most standard Articles limit liability to £1 a share. As sgclacy sais the company will have to pass a resolution to call on shareholders to make up the loss - £ loss /no of shares.

* If it is left to the lease then all SC inc reserves are held in trust seperate to theaffairs of the company and only for purpuses set out in the lease. Even if that includes payment of such fees, the section 20c order bars that.

(As I was explaining on another thread much to the others persons reluctance to accept it.)
          Unfortunately it is not as simple as that. A company can only make a call for more monies from its shareholders if there is UNPAID share capital outstanding ie the shares have been issued partly paid

Comment

actually it is but ill reply tomorrow not on this fiddly pda note that the artiicles provide , not the lease.
            Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

If the leases allows legal costs to be passed on to leaseholders then you can pass on the costs to all leaseholders to which the s20C order does not apply. However the other leaseholders are free to make an application for a s20C order.
              I accept no legal responsibility for comments/advice I make on this forum. Please check with a solicitor before acting on statements made in a public forum.

Comment

Doesn't help they still have to make up the shortfall.

Comment

Before looking at the resolution what do the articles say about a loss in the charges? Is there for example an indemnity clause to make up losses?

Comment

No there is nothing about losses.
                    Thanks to all for the answers

Comment

Ok then you will need to add the total legal bill to the service charge and add a proportional credit to their account eg the post which disappeared on the thread £1000, divided by 10, and post a £100 credit to their account from the company.

The directors will have to report to the members that as a result of this the loan that you or others have made in the meantime to credit the service charge is a liability that it cannot meet and the company faces insolvency and resolves that this can only be avoided if the shareholders make a cash contribution to make up the losses (the point sgclacy was making that it simply cannot say we need to pay this money, votes in favour etc, and then force everyone to pay under that resolution.). Unless there are means of repayment it cannot be a loan or reflected in new shares.

This is the sort of issue where I always advise companies to continue with notice fees and other income eg pre sales enquiries including ground rent as a cash buffer against such losses.

As your funds arise out of Articles if there is a provision for including the companies costs and expenses of management, then introduce a management fee or charge ground rents if the leases allow or require. This makes it self funding and the loan you make repayable if you are clever, you can pay it out of service charge and get the money in via other means before the person knows what has happened.

Good luck.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Residents Management Company Building insurance
                        by GordonClose
                        Thank you for the replies. The RMC (not an RTM) was setup by the builders when the property was built so has always been in existence (since 1980). The insurance has always been arranged by the Freeholder and paid for by the RMC. The lease states that the RMC will keep the buildings insured as directed...
                        17-08-2022, 12:12 PM
                      • Residents Management Company Building insurance
                        by GordonClose
                        I am a Director of an RMC and the Freeholder insists it is their right to arrange the insurance. Have I the same right as an RTM to take over the arrangement of insurance?
                        15-08-2022, 14:26 PM
                      • Sale of Freehold - Tax to Pay
                        by divadee
                        Hi, I hope I can write this in a clear way that makes sense!

We bought a leaseholders flat in 2016, the next year we bought the limited company that held the freehold. This was done as no other leaseholder were interested in buying the freehold a few months prior to us buying our leasehold...
                        16-08-2022, 16:37 PM
                      • Reply to Sale of Freehold - Tax to Pay
                        by Gordon999
                        The company accounts shows the share capital at £2, it was holding the property on behalf of you ( beneficiary ) .

Since you have received £14K and £12K from disposal = £26K , your capital gain will be £26K - £18K = £8K .

You are entitle to the annual cgt allowance...
                        17-08-2022, 10:50 AM
                      • Right To Pass and Re-Pass (Not to Obstruct)
                        by LondonCalling
                        I am the owner/occupier of a leasehold first floor flat in a converted property consisting of two flats. The freeholder owns and is the occupier of the ground floor leasehold flat. There is a passageway/right of way from the road along the side of the building to my ground floor front door entrance....
                        16-08-2022, 16:26 PM
                      • Reply to Right To Pass and Re-Pass (Not to Obstruct)
                        by Lawcruncher
                        Absolutely not! Both the right and covenant are clear. Ask the freeholder why he considers he should not be bound by the terms of the lease. If he insists he is not bound, suggest that in that case you are not bound by the terms of your lease either....
                        17-08-2022, 09:57 AM
                        by divadee
                        Sydaton,

They are the accountants that the managing agents use. We have literally left it all up to them and have been hands off (unless there were issues with stuff that need authorising by us). Our managing agents are also company secretaries for the Ltd company that we own.
                        17-08-2022, 09:01 AM
                        by Sydaton
                        divadee, you mention the company accountant in the first post but then mention that you were relying on your managing agents. Are they one and the same?

Where did the £14k paid for the lease extension go?
                        17-08-2022, 08:41 AM
                      • Reply to Ground rent arrears from executor
                        by Martin448A
                        I did look at buying the freehold a few years ago but there solicitor quotes up to £4000 costs and I believe that was more then the value of the lease itself !
                        17-08-2022, 06:10 AM
                      • Ground rent arrears from executor
                        by Martin448A
                        Hi,
                        received a letter out the blue from someone claiming to be the executor of the deceased freeholders of my leasehold maisonette. Have never receive ground rent request for payment for any of the years I have owned the property or has the other maisonette in my building.
                        They are now requesting...
                        16-08-2022, 00:30 AM
                      Working...
                      X