• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts



    My mother has purchased a house which is not only leasehold but one that has a freeholder then a another leaseholder above. She is keen to start the enfranchisement process as soon as possible only through peace of mind as there is still 110 years remaining. What is the best way to approach the freeholder/leaseholder before the 2 year right to enfranchise without incurring costs of the freeholder/leaseholder only to receive a no answer. Do you make an approach stating it's not a formal offer.

    with 110 years left to go is it worth the bother?


      I think your mother has bought a leasehold flat in a converted house. No need to wait 2 years.

      First step is to buy a copy of the "freehold title" and 2 x "leasehold titles" from Land Registry Online for your post code address.

      You need the other leasehold flat owner to participate in buying the freehold title by enfranchisement and the procedure can be obtained from free guide which can be
      from www.lease-advice.org


        It's a house, the reason for 2 leasehold titles was because the local council wanted to put certain clauses on the build type and quality over the house builders, then the house builders sold the properties via a new lease.

        I agree about the comment is it worth, but she is old fashioned maybe and just wants to own it outright or something.

        I was reading on here if you approach in a certain way then you have to pay for the freeholders time. So was wondering the best way to approach it. I know the freeholders like to sell because they have approached a friend who lives on the estate asking if he wants to enfranchise.


          A house would only have one occupier. Does your mum occupy the entire building ?

          You should check all of the titles first and see what each leasehold title covers and what ground rent is paid by each leasehold title.

          Also check the name of the freeholder.


            There is only one occupier, my mom, it's a semi detached house built 2001. Birmingham City council are the freeholder then Barretts Homes a leaseholder, then my mom a sub leaseholder. There is only one ground paid, I think.

            Do you approach the freeholder or the above leaseholder. Do you pay their costs before the two year right applies with the possibility of receiving a no answer.

            I will know more when the deeds/lease are posted as she has only just completed.


              I suggest you call the legal department of B'ham Council and ask where/who to write to , with your enquiry for buying the freehold of your mom's house.

              And ask what information is required to be included with enquiry letter.


              Latest Activity