Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enfrasicment

Hi

My mother has purchased a house which is not only leasehold but one that has a freeholder then a another leaseholder above. She is keen to start the enfranchisement process as soon as possible only through peace of mind as there is still 110 years remaining. What is the best way to approach the freeholder/leaseholder before the 2 year right to enfranchise without incurring costs of the freeholder/leaseholder only to receive a no answer. Do you make an approach stating it's not a formal offer.

with 110 years left to go is it worth the bother?

Comment

I think your mother has bought a leasehold flat in a converted house. No need to wait 2 years.

First step is to buy a copy of the "freehold title" and 2 x "leasehold titles" from Land Registry Online for your post code address.

You need the other leasehold flat owner to participate in buying the freehold title by enfranchisement and the procedure can be obtained from free guide which can be
      from www.lease-advice.org

Comment

It's a house, the reason for 2 leasehold titles was because the local council wanted to put certain clauses on the build type and quality over the house builders, then the house builders sold the properties via a new lease.

I agree about the comment is it worth, but she is old fashioned maybe and just wants to own it outright or something.

I was reading on here if you approach in a certain way then you have to pay for the freeholders time. So was wondering the best way to approach it. I know the freeholders like to sell because they have approached a friend who lives on the estate asking if he wants to enfranchise.

Comment

A house would only have one occupier. Does your mum occupy the entire building ?

You should check all of the titles first and see what each leasehold title covers and what ground rent is paid by each leasehold title.

Also check the name of the freeholder.

Comment

There is only one occupier, my mom, it's a semi detached house built 2001. Birmingham City council are the freeholder then Barretts Homes a leaseholder, then my mom a sub leaseholder. There is only one ground paid, I think.

Do you approach the freeholder or the above leaseholder. Do you pay their costs before the two year right applies with the possibility of receiving a no answer.

I will know more when the deeds/lease are posted as she has only just completed.

Comment

I suggest you call the legal department of B'ham Council and ask where/who to write to , with your enquiry for buying the freehold of your mom's house.

And ask what information is required to be included with enquiry letter.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to AGM cancelled.
                by eagle2
                Any meeting which you decide to hold will be an informal meeting only, you do need to follow the correct procedure if you wish to hold a valid meeting,

The Articles should state whether or not directors need to declare conflicts of interest and whether or not they are entitled to vote on...
                26-01-2022, 13:30 PM
              • AGM cancelled.
                by Grumio
                Is this legal?

A bit of background, we currently have three directors, we are allowed to have up to a maximum of eight directors according to the articles of association. We are all leaseholders. Last summer the three directors decided to hire a managing agent who is now in charge of the...
                26-01-2022, 00:46 AM
                by Grumio
                It is both a managing agent and a residence Association. But we want to go back to managing the block ourselves.

Thanks for the reply, yes invitations have been sent to all our members. And I agree, they should not cancel the AGM, especially when they haven’t got a plausible reason to...
                26-01-2022, 12:12 PM
              • Reply to Lease extension triggers doubling ground rent change
                by sgclacy
                Doubling every 25 years is simply a guess as to what inflation may be, if inflation of the current levels ( about 6% ) was to continue the real value of the rent would fall by 77% and doubling would not address the enormous damage done by inflation. However, if inflation was less than 2.81% per annum...
                26-01-2022, 11:57 AM
              • Reply to Lease extension triggers doubling ground rent change
                by Section20z
                You are clearly using the informal route and can thus negotiate whatever terms you like.
                freeholder will want to retain some ground rent but avoid the doubling clause, maybe suggest small fixed rises every ten years....
                26-01-2022, 10:40 AM
              • Reply to Service charges according to floorspace vs lease stipulation
                by Section20z
                Quite, there is also the question here of who the actual freeholder is and whether the whole thing is any concern of the OP who only ever need pay 25% !!...
                26-01-2022, 10:25 AM
              • Service charges according to floorspace vs lease stipulation
                by Santa Fe
                Hello. I own a flat in a block of four. The new owner of the smallest flat is disputing their contribution to service charges based on floor size. All four flats have historically paid 25% each, but of the four leases only mine states that I pay 25%. I have spoken with a solicitor about this and he...
                24-01-2022, 22:55 PM
                by eagle2
                Yes, I am confused too. If there is a Residents Association, it is required to comply with its constitution.

There seems to be a Company involved as well. Whether or not it is required to hold an AGM depends on its Articles, AGMs can be cancelled for various reasons, lockdowns are an example,...
                26-01-2022, 10:19 AM
              • Reply to Service charges according to floorspace vs lease stipulation
                by eagle2
                I think that we have found 3 possible alternatives already and no doubt we could find more, As Section20z says it is very rare for a court or a tribunal to intervene, The lease appears to allow the freeholder (?) to decide what is fair and reasonable and it has decided that an equal share is reasonable,...
                26-01-2022, 10:01 AM
                by fos333
                Is this a Residence Association or Residents Management Company?

Had invitations to the AGM been sent out to all members? If invitations had been issued then no the AGM should not have been cancelled.

If the 2 directors are "good friends of the managing agent" they...
                26-01-2022, 10:00 AM
              Working...
              X