Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First timer buyer, laminate flooring ground floor flat

Hey guys, signed up to this forum specifically for help with this question,

Basically I'm moving into my first flat on Friday, I bought it so i'm not renting etc. It's leasehold/share of freehold.
    in my lease it says I should have carpet, but to me carpet seems very dated and it doesn't suit how I plan on decorating my first home, also I suffer with allergies so It'd be hygienic and comfortable for me to have laminate or wooden flooring.

My argument is that even though it says I should have carpet, I visited other flats from the same building and surrounding buildings and they all had wooden flooring, and my flat is a GROUND flat, I have people above me and people attached to my kitchen but apart from that the bedroom, living room, bathroom, and hallway are all detached from other residents, so I don't see why it'd be a problem for me to have wooden or laminate flooring.

How strictly is the lease to be followed? are ground floor flats exceptions? what will be the consequences of me having wooden/laminate flooring even though I own my property? should I just put the floor I want down and see what happens? (I don't think anyone will complain, because the flat is detached apart from people above me).

Hope this is clear, new to this forum so bare with me!

Thanks, all replies appreciated.

Originally posted by charlesf View Post
    ...bare with me!
    Pedantic, I know, but that is an invitation to collective nudity. 'Bear with me' seems more appropriate in this context.
    There is a fine line between irony and stupidity. If I say something absurd please assume that I am being facetious.

Comment

The requirement for carpet does two things

1 insulted foot fall etc from those below. That doesn’t apply to you however 2 does.

2 carpeting also deflects and absorb airborne noise which otherwise “bounces” into adjacent homes.

Imagine the empty room with no carpet and curtains and you realise the difference that those make in terms of “echo” and “ emptiness”.

Very soften this is not policed, however if a neighbour complains and there are those that do, you risk being in breach and therefore required to carpet over.

As to allergies that is absolute rubbish. Hard floors, on a daily basis, allow dust and allergens to freely accumulate and circulate (one breeze from a closed door and they are airborne), while a carpet will collect them, and if regularly vacuumed with a decent vacuum, will be far healthier. I know, as a child, my parents put in a hard floor in my room on doctors advice and it was a miserable 6 months. As soon as carpet tiles went down, I improved.
      Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Don't you just hate foot fall who are insulted?

I agree it has to be carpet or you risk having to replace all your flooring at some point in the future. If you do decide against this advice please don't put laminate down because it is naff.

Comment

Speak to the other leaseholders / directors of the freehold company and find out first. As you are a ground floor flat, I cant see there being any complaints.

Comment

But bbva as explained the noise is not simply going down, but reflects to properties around and above. When presented with these issues I use a noise meter and people are stunned about how much difference a carpeted room and boarded room can make.
            Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Originally posted by QuestForFreedom View Post
              Don't you just hate foot fall who are insulted?

I know, its just rude.

In one case,in a respectable part of a nice "County town" a resident complained of the lady above and her "clomping around in high heels,and why on earth she can't wear slippers".
              Licence had been given for wood floors with a high performance underlay,so this was surprising.

After some investigation, it turned out her clientelle prefered high heels,especially patent leather ones, the higher the better ! Itpays to make sure that you close the wardrobe door where you keepyour impressive collection and tools of the trade.

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholdanswers View Post
                the noise is not simply going down, but reflects to properties around and above.
                The ceilings in my flat are double as high as a 'normal' flat, and it's an old hospital, built for holding heavy equipment and a lot of people, so the noise has double as long to travel, more time to break down, before it meets the people above me, and I don't have anyone either side of me. with proper insulation I can't see anyone complaining about the noise.

Comment

Although carpets may now be passé they are not yet obsolete. Give it a few more years and it will be: "Darling! Don't tell me you're still walking on wood. That's just so yesterday!" Changing fashion is no excuse for failing to observe a lease term.

When it comes to enforcement though the fact that a number of flats have already breached the covenant will be in your favour. However, you cannot rely on that absolutely.

Comment

The ceilings in my flat are double as high as a 'normal' flat, and it's an old hospital, built for holding heavy equipment and a lot of people, so the noise has double as long to travel, more time to break down, before it meets the people above me, and I don't have anyone either side of me. with proper insulation I can't see anyone complaining about the noise.
                    I reckon the high ceilings will possibly amplify the noise, they do in my flat

Maybe you should visit the upstairs flat and see if they have wooden floors, because if they see how lovely your wooden flooring looks they might well choose wooden floors in the future

You will then see why they are discouraged in flats.

Comment

Indeed that other flats have wood floors might lead to revolution when the landlord becomnes aware and starts to enforce the terms of the lease.

Comment

The response to that is that logic often fails to answer a question when given incomplete information and inappropriate assumptions. As explained more space allows amplification and dense walls can conduct sound especially certain frequencies.

I recall a case where the resident complained of sickening headaches and called in the EHO. They established that despite her being 6 floors and the entire length of the building away, harmonics from the new fan in the central boiler flue were quite high, though inaudible to you or I.

If you take the risk understand that it is a risk and no amount of argument over logic and common sense will prevent the lease from being enforced.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
                          Although carpets may now be passé they are not yet obsolete. Give it a few more years and it will be: "Darling! Don't tell me you're still walking on wood. That's just so yesterday!" Changing fashion is no excuse for failing to observe a lease term..
                          Remember the time when parquet floors were "to die for?"

Comment

Originally posted by DNM2012 View Post
                            I reckon the high ceilings will possibly amplify the noise, they do in my flat

Maybe you should visit the upstairs flat and see if they have wooden floors, because if they see how lovely your wooden flooring looks they might well choose wooden floors in the future

You will then see why they are discouraged in flats.
                            I completely understand why they're discouraged in flats, If i lived above ground floor I'd have carpet without question, but considering my flat is detached, ground, and double the height of a normal flat, I thought I'd ask.

Comment

Ultimately in your situation it is the flat above that 'could' complain.

If they notice an increase of noise (particularly at night) from below after you put the wooden floor in they may well do.

It really does increase noise levels and not just footsteps.

Drop a bunch of keys at night on carpet, the noise is negligible, drop them onto a wooden floor and its likely to wake people up.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to on -going leaks
                                by JackBluebird
                                ah i understand, sorry for confusion. As far as I'm aware, there is absolutely no reason to let anyone representing another leaseholder into your apartment. are you obliged to? no.... will your claim hurt if you dont? almost certinaly not... As i understand it she is essentially challenging the survey...
                                19-05-2022, 00:17 AM
                              • on -going leaks
                                by finest1
                                Hi All,

The flat upstair has been leaking for some years. The ceiling soon partially collapsed stopping me fro m letting the flat. The leaseholder upstairs kept claiming that the leak was not coming from her flat despite sending them photos of her wet subfloor. I sent a letter claiming...
                                18-05-2022, 17:09 PM
                                by finest1
                                Thank you for your response. Sorry if I didn't make myself clear but the freeholder has already sent a surveyor and they are satisfied that the leak has been caused from upstairs.

It's the leaseholder who wants to send their own surveyor or architect, and has refused to allow their insurance...
                                18-05-2022, 19:52 PM
                              • Levy
                                by scot22
                                What details must be given in an invoice for a levy ?
                                18-05-2022, 17:43 PM
                              • Reply to Levy
                                by scot22
                                Thanks for reply but doesn't really matter. Issue is what must leaseholders be told about reason and how it is being spent.
                                18-05-2022, 19:45 PM
                              • Reply to Levy
                                by Tipper
                                Can you expand...levy for what?
                                18-05-2022, 19:12 PM
                                by JackBluebird
                                On one hand people may argue, the freeholder has rights to access and assess the property in accordance with the lease whenever it is reasonable or essential to do so. However if you initiate the disrepair protocol you will have much more leverage, but it is not for bluffing...

18-05-2022, 18:17 PM
                              • Reply to Insurance
                                by jazzythumper
                                I’ve managed to get the refund from the previous insurers, which is good, over £1,000 that we wouldn’t have had otherwise in our funds.
                                18-05-2022, 15:51 PM
                              • Insurance
                                by jazzythumper
                                When the freehold of our building was sold, the old freeholder cancelled the buildings insurance which we had paid for in advance through our service charge.

A new policy was taken out by the new freeholder. A refund for the previous policy has been given to the previous freeholder but...
                                03-04-2022, 20:24 PM
                              • Breaches of Model Articles
                                by Starlane
                                ram Our articles require a quorum for board and for shareholder meetings. It has come to light after the event that a director has called a meeting on their own and appointed another director, the meeting was inquorate and no members were made aware that this was going on, additionally no meeting has...
                                06-05-2022, 16:02 PM
                              Working...
                              X