Change Of Use Of Common Area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Change Of Use Of Common Area

I am requiring information on how best to pursue the following matter.

A 3ft raised wooden flower bed has been constructed around the perimeter of an external common seating area.

This area is covered by a pagoda who’s stanchions are now incorporated into the soil of the bed.

Apart from my concerns regarding the affect this will have long term on the deterioration of the stanchions, I have not been consulted about the installation of the flower beds.

As far as I’m aware the costs have been covered by the Director of the Company (The Landlord) of which I’m a shareholder. The flowers within the beds are the Director’s and are tended to by him.

Originally the area could be accessed from 3 sides but this has now been reduced to a single opening which is under my lounge window.

I am wanting to raise the matter at an upcoming AGM but due to the Directors constant use of his own money, and some tenants glad to get something for nothing, I am concerned that he will obtain a majority vote.

1. Is a majority vote sufficient or due to this area being demised for common use is a unanimous vote required ?

2. Because service charge funds have not been used can the matter be heard by the LVT/First-tier ?

3. Or is it possible to obtain an injunction from the County Court ?

Any advice will be gratefully received.

B.B

This really is a matter for the company to decide on to permit him to do so, at his cost, and with an undertkaing to
    a maintain it at his costs
    b in the even that he does not that he gives the company an undertaking or bond so that the company can reinstate it as was eg knock it down.

The exception to this is if the lease to your flat includes specific rights to use the garden which are being impinged and if the flower beds layout creates a disturbance to you eg everyone traipsing past your lounge window.

If at some future stage the pagoda requires upkeep, the lease will specify what obligations you have. If it does not allow for improvements then this new structure is unlikely to be a service charge obligation, even if the company if a majority vote for it.
    Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Variation of lease
      by sgclacy
      A ground rent of £150 per annum increasing by 50% every 10 years until it reaches £3,844.33 with 2 years to go before it makes its first doubling would cost around £7,600 plus 0.33% of the value of the flat to have a statutory lease extension

One of the difficulties in proposing any...
      13-08-2020, 01:08 AM
    • Variation of lease
      by scampicat
      I own a flat with a lease of 125 years starting from 2012. The ground rent is at present £150 pa, but increases as follows every ten years: £225... .£337.50.... 506.25.... 759.38.... 1139.06.... 1708.59.... 2562.89 ....3844.34. There are no more increases after eighty years. I am considering a variation...
      25-02-2020, 08:57 AM
    • FH forfeits and sells before 6 months window for relief?
      by Loque
      999yr Long lease commercial, lessee in breach, S146 served, S146 expires without being complied with, FH re-enters and changes locks.

Now... LH can go to court to claim relief from forfeiture for the remediable breach, usually within 6 months or so. BUT lets say once FH has re-entered he...
      12-08-2020, 13:26 PM
    • Reply to FH forfeits and sells before 6 months window for relief?
      by sgclacy
      Once the Land Registry have closed the title and a new lease granted there is no redress for the lessee seeking relief from forfeiture

The land registry will write to any party shown in the charges register and the tenant before closing the title - therefore illustrating the need to make...
      13-08-2020, 00:03 AM
    • Reply to RTM - Admin Fees Charged by Freeholder
      by Gordon999
      Its in section 98 of Commonhold &Leasehold Reform Act 2002.

Where a person who is—

(a)landlord under a long lease of the whole or any part of the premises, or

(b)party to such a lease otherwise than as landlord or tenant,

has functions in relation...
      12-08-2020, 22:27 PM
    • RTM - Admin Fees Charged by Freeholder
      by chris1544
      We have RTM in place for our two flat building. Recently the other leaseholder put in a request to the RTM company to install an air vent. I duly wrote to the freeholder, notifying them of our intention to grant approval for the works, giving them the statutory 30 days notice.

They have...
      12-08-2020, 11:04 AM
    • Reply to RTM - Admin Fees Charged by Freeholder
      by Lorimer
      There isn't much case law on this but even when an RTM is in place and it is the RTM that is responsible for dealing with consents, I believe the freeholder CAN charge a reasonable admin fee simply for the freeholder's time in reviewing the consent application. This is because the RTM company cannot...
      12-08-2020, 20:33 PM
    • Late ground rent payment charge & legal fees no warnings
      by KingstonBee
      Wonder if you can help... This week I have received a Court Claim form pack with what seems to include a ‘particulars of claim’ and ‘lease’ for ‘outstanding arrears of Ground rent and insurance’.

Now this is a huge shock as I’ve not received any letters at all, no emails or phone...
      10-06-2020, 20:13 PM
    • Reply to Late ground rent payment charge & legal fees no warnings
      by Stew
      sounds like a major win
      12-08-2020, 20:22 PM
    • Can I let this freehold indefinately ?
      by Boab
      Is there any reason why I cannot let a freehold flat on a two flat maisonette where there are two freeholders with a deed of covenant between the two to cover such issues as maintaining the property? There appears to be nothing in the covenant restricting renting my property out and it’s been done...
      10-08-2020, 06:12 AM
    Working...
    X