Lease extension quote received too High!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lease extension quote received too High!

Hi All,

I own a 1 bedroom flat on a high street in Penge, London. The flat was bought 3 months ago for £95 000 with a lease of 76 years left. I have approached the freehold owners who are happy to extend my lease to 125 years for £8,500!

This is extremely high in my opinion. all the lease extension calculators I have used estimate around £4 - 5000.

So my question is: Is this quote too high? Secondly shouldn't i get 99 years ontop of the existing 76 years?

I have not owned the flat for more than 2 years, so I am aware I don't have much of a leg to stand on, as they are extending the lease even though I have not lived here for 2 years.

Is it worth disputing the quote?

Many thanks for any advice.

Russell

Of course dispute it.

The reason it's so high is that at the moment you don't have the statutory right to extend.
    To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

But waht is yiour current gorund rent and is it revised over time( which no calculator allows for) and under teh new lease what will theh be ground rent be.

If say the new GR is a peppercorn then the premium will be higher, if you pay a commercial rent of say £200 to £400 and its frequently required the premium comes down.

have a look at your solicitors advice and ask why diont you point this out to me before I exchanged!
      Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

I know the following statement may be irrelevant and not included in calculating lease extensions.

At present, you are "renting" the property for 76 years.
        £ 95000 is a monthy rent of £ 104 per month for 76 years.

Adding an extra 49 years, which is in 76 years time, rent is £ 173 per month. Still cheap rent for a London flat by the year 2090.

Comment

Russell,

You (after 2 years as leasewholder ) are entitled to seek a 90 years extension so you should get 74 +90 = 164 years at peppercorn ground rent.

If you study the rough calculation of cost for extending the lease given in LZforum thread No. 11080 post a few years back by our expert sgclacy you can compare the cost at 76 years ( now to 125 years ) and 74 years.(qualifying in 2 years time to 164 years )

The example shown in thread is calculated for extension at 73.5 years and cost of statutory lease extension came to approx 5%.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to RTM director service charge arrears
            by fos333
            This is the important question, what are the reasons for non payment?

Have demands been correctly served including the correct summaries of rights and obligations?

Are the landlord obligations under the lease being carried out?

Have service charge end of year accounts...
            17-05-2022, 21:48 PM
          • RTM director service charge arrears
            by ARG
            Hello, I am new here so please excuse me if this question has already been asked, but a search has drawn a blank.

I am a director of an RTM of a property with 25 flats. I would be very grateful if anyone here can advise whether a resident who is more than six months in arrears with his...
            17-05-2022, 15:38 PM
          • Reply to Neighbour Dispute over Bins
            by vmart
            Is there a restrictive covenant in the title of the commercial-property owner (CPO) giving you and the other lessee a right of way over the land?

Is the CPO a freeholder or leaseholder of the land?

With regard to the point related to '20 years' you are referring to adverse...
            17-05-2022, 21:06 PM
          • Neighbour Dispute over Bins
            by Tony-Edwards
            Hello

I could do with some guidance if anyone has any knowledge on this.

I have a 100 year old flat that was split from a larger building in 2000 and has a 999 year lease, it is next door to a commercial premises.

The only way to get to my flat is across their...
            17-05-2022, 14:40 PM
          • Reply to RTM director service charge arrears
            by vmart
            The RTM can make a money claim online but as this enquiry concerns service charges the lessee will have the right to have the service charges determined unless already agreed. Depending upon the lessee's response to the claim, the County Court may refer the claim to the FTT.

What are the...
            17-05-2022, 20:54 PM
          • Reply to Recurrent leaks from flat upstairs
            by Ldawg
            Thanks for your response.

All costs are being covered by the management company. So currently I'm not actually losing out so I'm not really sure what I'm claiming for! More just the stress of it all. And the potential loss of earning and making unrentable/saleable as you say. Yes the floor...
            17-05-2022, 20:22 PM
          • Recurrent leaks from flat upstairs
            by Ldawg
            The flat I rent out has suffered from recurrent leaks from upstairs since I purchased it, 4 leaks in 4 years. It's caused me to lose one tenant already. I feel like there is no incentive for the owner upstairs to sort the problem (check the plumbing etc) as the cost is always covered by insurance and...
            24-01-2022, 19:48 PM
          • Reply to Lease Extension - Relativity
            by comm1985
            I for one would appreciate a more stable approach in deriving the premium...

In this instance what would

1. The sensible premium be?

A)£32000 (based on the value the actual short lease was just sold for i.e Relativity 65%)
            or
            B)£20,000 (based on graph...
            17-05-2022, 20:19 PM
          • Lease Extension - Relativity
            by comm1985
            Hoping to get some clarification,

If a flat (Outside Greater London) with 60 years left is sold for £110,000 and comparable properties with longer leases attain £160,000

What is the relativity in this case?

Would it be £110000 less 5.5% (to estimate for no act...
            17-05-2022, 15:12 PM
          • Reply to Recurrent leaks from flat upstairs
            by Hudson01
            Are the management company paying for all the damage via the blocks buildings insurance or is this down to you ? Given how long it has gone on i think you will need to take individual legal action against the landlord of the flat above, what else is there is they have no incentive to fix anything. ...
            17-05-2022, 20:08 PM
          Working...
          X