Tree/shrubs growing taller and threatening light to first floor flat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tree/shrubs growing taller and threatening light to first floor flat

A house has been converted into ground and first floor flat.
    The garden is controlled by the ground floor flat.
    The first floor flat has a roof terrace

The trees and shrubs in the garden are being grown to afford the ground floor occupants as much privacy as possible from the view of the first floor occupants. The plants are being grown close to the walls of the house.

However, if they continue to grow upward, they will start to restrict sunlight able to reach the bedroom window at the side and roof terrace of the first floor flat.

If the ground floor folks are uncooperative at some future time in restricting height of these trees/shrubs, would there need to be words in the lease specific to trees/ plants to that effect? Or could this come under "to not cause a nuisance"? Or is their an implied right/common law to light when occupying the same building?
    All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Responsibility of window frames
    by charlie8899
    Hello - I hope someone can help. I own a new build flat and have a faulty window that needs replacing. This will be quite costly and requires erecting scaffolding. I was surprised to hear from the building management company that windows are the responsibility of the leaseholder. This doesn't seem right...
    23-09-2020, 08:05 AM
  • Reply to Responsibility of window frames
    by paulamis
    When you say new build, is it new enough to still be under warranty. New house typically get 2 years from developer. And not sure if flats get it but usually 10 year warranty against serious issues.
    23-09-2020, 09:01 AM
  • Reply to Responsibility of window frames
    by JK0
    What does your lease say on the subject? (Reproduce relevant part here.)
    23-09-2020, 08:09 AM
  • Reply to Rats
    by gnvqsos
    Rats were brought by man on merchant vessels.Now man carelessly discards food and propogates the same rodents.Why should the council deal with this problem,when the causes can be identified and the culprits fined?Better to tax cheap nasty take away food,making men and vermin as fat as f......
    22-09-2020, 20:03 PM
  • Rats
    by ETB
    I have a tenant who has reported that he can here rats in the walls and ceiling of his 4th floor apartment. He says there are other complaints on the tenants facebook group. I have messaged the maintenance company (Name removed) but they are not replying. Just wanted to check who is liable, I'm assuming...
    21-09-2020, 22:15 PM
  • Reply to Tracing Freeholder
    by flyingfreehold
    The freehold must be registered, I suppose no reply from the address on the register?
    22-09-2020, 18:46 PM
  • Tracing Freeholder
    by cjramona
    Hi, I am new to the forum and sorry for jumping in but cannot find an answer that helps through the search function. I accepted an offer on my leasehold flat 2 months ago and I thought was close to exchange but the buyers solicitors are asking for my freeholder details. I renewed the lease in 2010...
    22-09-2020, 13:06 PM
  • Door Entry System Upgrade
    by blipper
    Hi
    I'm the lessee of a flat in a 6 flat block.
    Although there is a main door intercom connected to each flat, when residents answer they cannot buzz open the main door but have to open it manually. This system was put in place many years ago for security purposes after a spate of break-ins...
    21-09-2020, 15:36 PM
  • Reply to Door Entry System Upgrade
    by blipper
    Thank you for your replies which give me food for thought.
    Actually there are 3 floors and my flat occupies the third floor so I am the most inconvenienced by the present arrangement but don't mind as being a reclusive kind of person don't get a lot of people ringing my bell anyway!...
    22-09-2020, 17:58 PM
  • Reply to Door Entry System Upgrade
    by scot22
    Fair point andy. Could of course be 3 on 2 levels. I commented without relevant facts.
    22-09-2020, 16:59 PM
Working...
X