Deed of Variation - what's the process involved?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deed of Variation - what's the process involved?

I am purchasing a leasehold flat in Manchester which needs a deed of variation due to a term not being included in the original lease dated 1966 which is on a 999 year lease.

There is a residents run management company which owns the freehold. (2 of the flat leaseholders are the directors.) The 8 flat leaseholders are the members of the management company.

As the buyer I have nothing to do with the process.

Around 3 months ago a draft document was produced and agreed by the owner and the management company, but as of yet does not appear to have been executed. Should it take this long?

What does a deed of variation involve? What are the steps now required and who does what? Does a deed of variation have to be executed and paid for in some way? Will it be lodged at the Land registry?

Any help or information would be greatly received.

Your conveyancing solicitor should make sure this matter sorted out before you as "buyer "of the leasehold flat exchange sale contracts.

The seller's solicitor should be asked to sort out the outstanding deed of variation

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon999 View Post
      Your conveyancing solicitor should make sure this matter sorted out before you as "buyer "of the leasehold flat exchange sale contracts.

The seller's solicitor should be asked to sort out the outstanding deed of variation
      Hi Gordon999,

This is what is happening at present (delaying completion on the sale). The vendors solicitor says he is waiting for the management company.

The management company and vendor agreed to the D of V and a draft document agreed in principle. It now needs executing.

But it has taken 3 months from that situation to today with no progress, so I am concerned something else may be going on in the background which I need to get to the bottom of.

I would really like help to understand the specific steps the management company & seller & sellers solicitor are likely to be undertaking to sort the D of V out.

Do you know what the steps are likely to be?

Comment

Your solicitor should be explaining this to you as it can be lengthy process to complete and explain, and it might be for reasons that only "they" know.

I suggest you are best placed asking S to ask " why specifically has this not been completed and what are the parties planning to do to complete them and by when".
        Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

That's great advice.

My solicitor has been in touch with the sellers solicitor but the response he is getting back is 'it is being done'.

The sellers solicitor is being vague claiming he is waiting for the (residents) management company to sort it but not giving my solicitor any detail as to what he is waiting for.

My solicitor doesn't want to get involved - only to have the D of V in his hand and undertake the rest of the conveyancing. He says he is unable to go to the management company directly anyway.

The estate agent doesn't know anything about D of V and so doesn't know who to push and doesn't want to upset the seller with endless phone calls.

The seller doesn't seem to know what to do or say to get things moving either.

It all seems quite vague to me. The solicitors seem to have the legal knowledge to work out who is causing the delays and how to remedy them but are reluctant to communicate at the level required.

So everybody is at stalemate. It is a bit of a catch 22 where everyone is waiting for the residents management company and they probably don't realise it or don't really care with no one willing/able to contact them, other than the seller (who also has no legal knowledge)!

I know that D of V can be a fairly lengthy process but in my case (5 months to date in total and 3 months after draft agreed) it seems like it ought to be fairly straightforward.

The vendor, man co and my solicitor have seen the draft and agreed to it and it just needs executing. So in that event - where everybody agrees to add the one extra clause in - what would the next steps/process be and should it take 3 months+?

Any extra tips?

Comment

Yes go back to your solicitors and say "not good enough, get an answers (as above)". i suspect that they are dealing with solicitors acting for the residents on the variation and are not pushing as their job is to convey the property. Your S is wrong they can and will already have been in contact with the ManCo. I suspect neither are in fact solicitors but a conveyance team.

No doubt your chain and mortgage offer has a time limit. That’s the stick I'll have to move on before they expire.
            Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Hi leaseholdanswers

I've already gone back to me solicitor to get answers - but there is still nothing concrete to work from.

As far as I am aware the man co must have their own solicitor who is communicating with the sellers solicitor and the D of V is between the seller and the man co.

My own solicitor isn't a conveyancing team. He is a solicitor (small sized firm) but he does't seem to be able to do anything other than chase the seller's solicitor for updates. My solicitor was supplied a copy of the draft presumably by the seller's solicitor to check that it would be acceptable for my mortgage lender.

Is this not likely to be the case? Would there be any reason my solicitor could not go to the management company directly for updates such as conflict of interest?

Comment

Originally posted by jarsen View Post
                Would there be any reason my solicitor could not go to the management company directly for updates such as conflict of interest?
                nothing to stop you contacting the Management company.
                Nothing to stop you visiting the seller and explaining that if things do no progress, he wont sell his property, as you will back out and so will the next buyer

Comment

Thanks. I may well have to do that. I've been leaving that as my last resort.

If I have to do that I'd like to be as clued up as possible.

I'm still not sure though with a deed of variation what this actually is?

Is this a document between parties signed by the management company to agree to a change or does it involve some sort of special forms or registration at the Land Registry and will it involve the management companies solicitor to make it official?

I suppose my weakness at present is simply not knowing what is actually involved with a deed of variation. If I am to approach the management company or vendor directly I had better be clued up on this aspect.

Any advice?

Comment

Originally posted by jarsen View Post
                    I'm still not sure though with a deed of variation what this actually is?
                    Just a piece of paper with "Deed of variation" on it stating, in your case, something like

( with current addess etc etc )
                    at section 3(4) add - for example; "no washing to be placed over balcony or placed over to dry"
                    or whatever it is they wish to add.

Takes 15 minutes to write the covenant that they want to add to the lease

The actual process I cannot comment on, but 3 months is too long.

Solcitors acting for "The good" of the buyer cannot contact the freeholder or the managing company, which is discusting in my mind, as they cannot look after your interests, but that's how it works.

As said, go to the seller and ask him to TELL the residents management company to pull their finger out.
                    Not only that, you go see them as well.
                    The sellers solicitor should be able to re-write the deed in the correct format if draft is not sufficient.

R.a.M.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Variation of lease
                      by sgclacy
                      A ground rent of £150 per annum increasing by 50% every 10 years until it reaches £3,844.33 with 2 years to go before it makes its first doubling would cost around £7,600 plus 0.33% of the value of the flat to have a statutory lease extension

One of the difficulties in proposing any...
                      13-08-2020, 01:08 AM
                    • Variation of lease
                      by scampicat
                      I own a flat with a lease of 125 years starting from 2012. The ground rent is at present £150 pa, but increases as follows every ten years: £225... .£337.50.... 506.25.... 759.38.... 1139.06.... 1708.59.... 2562.89 ....3844.34. There are no more increases after eighty years. I am considering a variation...
                      25-02-2020, 08:57 AM
                    • Reply to FH forfeits and sells before 6 months window for relief?
                      by sgclacy
                      Once the Land Registry have closed the title and a new lease granted there is no redress for the lessee seeking relief from forfeiture

The land registry will write to any party shown in the charges register and the tenant before closing the title - therefore illustrating the need to make...
                      13-08-2020, 00:03 AM
                    • FH forfeits and sells before 6 months window for relief?
                      by Loque
                      999yr Long lease commercial, lessee in breach, S146 served, S146 expires without being complied with, FH re-enters and changes locks.

Now... LH can go to court to claim relief from forfeiture for the remediable breach, usually within 6 months or so. BUT lets say once FH has re-entered he...
                      12-08-2020, 13:26 PM
                    • Reply to RTM - Admin Fees Charged by Freeholder
                      by Gordon999
                      Its in section 98 of Commonhold &Leasehold Reform Act 2002.

Where a person who is—

(a)landlord under a long lease of the whole or any part of the premises, or

(b)party to such a lease otherwise than as landlord or tenant,

has functions in relation...
                      12-08-2020, 22:27 PM
                    • RTM - Admin Fees Charged by Freeholder
                      by chris1544
                      We have RTM in place for our two flat building. Recently the other leaseholder put in a request to the RTM company to install an air vent. I duly wrote to the freeholder, notifying them of our intention to grant approval for the works, giving them the statutory 30 days notice.

They have...
                      12-08-2020, 11:04 AM
                    • Reply to RTM - Admin Fees Charged by Freeholder
                      by Lorimer
                      There isn't much case law on this but even when an RTM is in place and it is the RTM that is responsible for dealing with consents, I believe the freeholder CAN charge a reasonable admin fee simply for the freeholder's time in reviewing the consent application. This is because the RTM company cannot...
                      12-08-2020, 20:33 PM
                    • Late ground rent payment charge & legal fees no warnings
                      by KingstonBee
                      Wonder if you can help... This week I have received a Court Claim form pack with what seems to include a ‘particulars of claim’ and ‘lease’ for ‘outstanding arrears of Ground rent and insurance’.

Now this is a huge shock as I’ve not received any letters at all, no emails or phone...
                      10-06-2020, 20:13 PM
                    • Reply to Late ground rent payment charge & legal fees no warnings
                      by Stew
                      sounds like a major win
                      12-08-2020, 20:22 PM
                    • Can I let this freehold indefinately ?
                      by Boab
                      Is there any reason why I cannot let a freehold flat on a two flat maisonette where there are two freeholders with a deed of covenant between the two to cover such issues as maintaining the property? There appears to be nothing in the covenant restricting renting my property out and it’s been done...
                      10-08-2020, 06:12 AM
                    Working...
                    X