Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reasonable time to respond

Hi
    I would appreciate any advice as to what constitutes a reasonable time to respond to a letter.
    We have a very aggressive freeholder who also has one of our 30 flats as a leaseholder. His solicitors have written to us, the rtm company, requesting a number of various actions, such as dealing with defects in his flat and imposing arbitrary short I.e. 3-5 day deadlines for action otherwise they will seek remedies!

They normally write Friday afternoon demanding resolution by Wednesday , we recently replied that we could not reply by that time to receive a letter saying by Friday latest.

They are vexatious and time consuming, do we really have to jump to their tune?

Unless it is genuine emergency then 5 to 10 working days for routine matters are acceptable in commercial practice though on average the better performing firms would reply in 2 to 4 days. It also depends on what is being requested as to what is reasonable.

As the issues concern the interior of his flat, why are they not his responsibility under the lease?
    Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Thanks for the advice, he is claiming they were caused by structural repair work to the flat below. We don't agree at this point, he is asking for us to get a structural engineer to prove it, at our cost or if we do not respond within5 days he will appoint one also at our cost!
      Really painful person to deal with, I think he'd like a p ing contest!!

Comment

So who did the work in the flat below, and does the lease require that if a leasholder alleges a breach by another and that they can require you to act, that is at their cost, not yours.

If however you ( the RTM) did the work then it does need to be investigated if the concern in valid.
        Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X