Freehold Valuation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freehold Valuation

Does anyone have any experience/knowhow in valuing a freehold? I presume (?) that this can be done with a formula?

The details are as follows:
    - Freehold Building Converted into 2 Flats.
    - Both leases = 125 yrs from Aug06.
    - Both Ground rents = £150 (25yrs), £250 (25yrs), £400 (25yrs), £600 (25yrs), £800 (25yrs).
    - Both flats have value = £395k.
    - Location is Wandsworth, London SW18.

All help much appreciated.

Many thanks,
    Rich

Dear Rich,

There is a statutory calculation although it is not straightforward by any means and covers two pages of A4.

For information on how the asset is calculated, please visit the Pro-Leagle website on:-

http://www.proleagle.com/collectiveenfranchisement3.htm

My charges are £75.00 (inc. VAT) per Valuation Report.

Best wishes,

CORINNE TUPLIN
    SOLICITOR
    PRO-LEAGLE
    www.proleagle.com
    CORINNE TUPLIN
    SOLICITOR
    PRO-LEAGLE
    www.proleagle.com

For Service Charge Disputes, you may wish to use Pro-Leagle's online Service Charge Dispute Analyser: http://www.proleagle.com/servicecharges.htm

Comment

Corinne,

Thanks for your reply.

Where do i get a copy of the statutory calculation? I understand that it may not be straightforward but as well as getting a value I am also interested in learning/understanding how this valuation works - Rather than just taking on trust a valuation of say £6k.

Having looked at your site it says that calc is predominantly based upon:
      - ground rent
      - years you have left to run on the lease
      - area in which the property is located
      - number of leaseholders in the property

Which fortunbately is info that I have to hand.

And I understand that from your site that I would disregard Marriage Value as the leases are >80yrs.

In particular i am most interested in what effect the "area in which the property is located" has? And why this effects freehold value?

Many thanks,
      Rich

Comment

Originally posted by RichA View Post
        Does anyone have any experience/knowhow in valuing a freehold? I presume (?) that this can be done with a formula?

The details are as follows:
        - Freehold Building Converted into 2 Flats.
        - Both leases = 125 yrs from Aug06.
        - Both Ground rents = £150 (25yrs), £250 (25yrs), £400 (25yrs), £600 (25yrs), £800 (25yrs).
        - Both flats have value = £395k.
        - Location is Wandsworth, London SW18.

All help much appreciated.

Many thanks,
        Rich
        If you send me an e-mail I will send you a excel spreadsheet which can value this. As there is no marriage value to consider as 80+ yrs remaining there are THREE variables.

The discount rate for ground rent which would be around 8% (this may vary from 7.5% to 8.5%) but its not worth getting into an argument over as its effect on the value is small.

The deferment rate for the reversion has been strongly suggested by the LVT to be 5% but in view of the very long lease term you may be able challenge this. But I have used 5% in the valuation

The value of the flats, again in view of the length of the lease not that crucial.

I have assumed both flats total £395,000 and both ground rents to come to a total of £150 etc. If the figure you have quoted are per flat simply double the figure.

Based on the info you set out and using a capitalization rate of 8% and a deferment rate of 5% I believe the value to be £3211.

My email address is stephen@clacy.com and I will send you the spreadsheet

Comment

Stephen,

Many thanks for the valuation & your offer of emailing me a spreadsheet.

I have sent you an email.

Regards,

Rich

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Share of feehold/shared service charges?
            by eagle2
            The cost of extending a lease is not a service charge expense so there is no reason to allocate it on the 38/31/31 basis, your offer to split those costs equally seems to be reasonable. It is up to the freeholder to decide what is fair and reasonable for the service charges and it is up to the other...
            28-05-2022, 05:29 AM
          • Share of feehold/shared service charges?
            by Stu1020
            Hi there,

I'm new to the forum and looking for advice on a sticky freehold situation.

I own a two-bed flat in a converted building with two one-beds. The lease states that a fair proportion is payable towards the service charge. However, there has been a running agreement of...
            20-05-2022, 11:39 AM
          • Reply to Old managing agents accounts
            by eagle2
            Unless the handover took place at the end of the financial year, it is the RTM's responsibility to produce the annual accounts. You could try making a formal complaint against the agent to supply copies of all supporting documents, it should belong to a redress scheme. The difficulty is that the agent...
            28-05-2022, 05:05 AM
          • Old managing agents accounts
            by jazzythumper
            Since obtaining the RTM and changing the managing agent, we have never been given full accounts / receipts for the previous year(s). We believe that as the old freeholder and leaser holder of one of the flats were represented by the same solicitor that prior to the sale of the freehold, we were subsidising...
            20-05-2022, 11:21 AM
          • Freehold confusion
            by davetg
            30 years ago I bought a flat from a friend. The freehold at the time was registered to my friend and the lady who owned the other flat. I understood at the time that I would replace the friend on the freehold but this never happened. This was not a problem until now as when work on the structure of...
            24-05-2022, 14:29 PM
          • Reply to Freehold confusion
            by CStevens
            The property should be registered so the land registry should hold a copy of the leases. You would need to look at the leases to see who is responsible for what but normally in a maisonette situation the freeholder would insure and maintain the structure, foundation and roof with the leaseholders paying...
            27-05-2022, 21:58 PM
            by CStevens
            Yeah i guess i would agree with that but, as you say, the value is only to the leaseholders and a freehold subject to 999 years is not worth a great deal of money to anyone other than the occupants and in fact, if the leases are drafted correctly, they should require the leaseholders to become members...
            27-05-2022, 21:52 PM
          • 2-1 transfer - what does Freeholder do?
            by Flashback1966
            I am a Freeholder. Have a flat there too. I have received an email from the leaseholder's soclitors acting for Mr A. They are doing a 2-1 transfer from the names of Mr A and Ms B to just Mr.

The solicitors want to know the requirements on completion.

Is is just a notice of...
            26-05-2022, 18:46 PM
          • Reply to 2-1 transfer - what does Freeholder do?
            by Gordon999
            I suggest you reply to leaseholder's solicitor and request a copy of the land registry title to confirm the name of new leaseholder plus £15 registration fee....
            27-05-2022, 18:05 PM
            by davetg
            Thanks for the replies:-
            My friend is alive and well and shows up on google as he is very high up in a big American telecoms company so I should be able to get back in touch.

I can't see my friend having any problem with the TR1 me replacing him on the freehold was always what was...
            27-05-2022, 16:50 PM
          Working...
          X