Can freeholder refuse permission to let leasehold property?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I suggest you get quotes for :

1. "Block of flats" buildings insurance for 350K cover + Public Liability cover etc from 3 brokers advertising Block of flats policies. Don't ask for Landlords building insurance which is aimed at the owner Occupier .

2. Landlords insurance for insuring contents inside your own BTL flat.

Comment

1. The "block insurance (buildings)" quotes coming back for both flats being let out are nearly half the price of what I am currently paying.
      I have obtained these quotes as me being the "freeholder" with my property currently let out and the leaseholder intending to rent his flat out. The quotes coming back include...

a) Cover for Contents in common parts (There are none - apparently this does not make any difference to the premium)
      b) Cover for Alternative accommodation
      c) Cover for Accidental loss, destruction or damage from causes such as fire, storm, theft and subsidence.
      d) Cover for Property Owners Liability
      e) Cover for Employers Liability

With the exception of (c) above, none of the others are mentioned in the freeholders "buildings" insurance and the excesses are the same.

Can I pass these quotes onto the freeholder without legal ramifications (mis-representation...etc?).
      Do I have any rights to paying what are now looking like exorbitant premiums and to date am still not sure the freeholders current insurance covers me if I let my property out.

2. As an aside and for clarification purposes, with reference to...
      (8) Not to assign transfer underlet license part with or share possession of any part of the Flat being less than the whole thereof__________________________

Am I breaking the leasehold condition if I allow a friend (paying lodger with lodger rent book)to rent a room in my property and can share all the facilities while I am living here.

Comment

Originally posted by Lat View Post
        Am I breaking the leasehold condition if I allow a friend (paying lodger with lodger rent book)to rent a room in my property and can share all the facilities while I am living here.
        Yes. Taking in a lodger is sharing possession of part. (I ignore the technical point that the clause really ought to refer to "occupation" rather than "possession".)

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X