21 year lease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

21 year lease

Just curious - a friend told me that he lives in a flat with a 21 year lease. Do they have any of the rights and responsibilities of long leaseholders, or is it more like a rental?

http://www.lease-advice.org/publicat...nt.asp?item=17

Comment

Your friend has no statutory right to extend his lease, nor would he be considered what is called a "qualifying tenant" if leaseholders in the building wished to buy the freehold.

His right to dispute service charges remains unaffected and his rights and responsibilities for repairs etc. will be identified in his lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Cantabriana View Post
        Your friend has no statutory right to extend his lease, nor would he be considered what is called a "qualifying tenant" if leaseholders in the building wished to buy the freehold.

His right to dispute service charges remains unaffected and his rights and responsibilities for repairs etc. will be identified in his lease.
        If the lease was originally for a term of less than 21 yrs there would be no right to claim a statutory lease ext. If the origin term was greater than 21 years but is now below 21 years then he would have a right

Comment

Yes, I debated whether to make this clearer but the OP says "with a 21 year lease" so I assumed the original term is 21 years.

Comment

thank you. yes the original term is 21 years. he is unhappy about the freehold being bandied about and changes to the complex.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X