Charge for flat roof being used as a terrace by first floor occupants.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charge for flat roof being used as a terrace by first floor occupants.

I own a leasehold ground floor flat with a maisonette above. This property is owned by the freeholder and both properties are let on ASTs. We have recently received an invoice for roof repairs (without appropriate Section 20 notice - which is another matter) for a flat roof that we have discovered has been used as a terrace for 20+ years (not visible from the road). There is a door from one of the maisonette's bedrooms on the upper level and the terrace is directly above the bathroom of the maisonette. The freeholder has advised us that he has consulted with his solicitor and she has confirmed that there is no reason why he should not use this area as a terrace. Having now done some research into the matter, it appears planning permission was granted in 1989.

My question is: Why should we have to pay for the repairs of an area used solely by the upstairs tenants? Also, it would appear from the invoice that the works involved replacing the existing felt and tar roof with some kind of fibre glass coating making it suitable to walk on. The walls around the terrace have also been given this coating and we are being charged for half of this cost. We understand that we could just pay £250 as the Section 20 notice was not issued, but we have previously paid for other roof repairs, thinking it was just a normal flat roof.

thanks

it depends on the lease as to who repairs it who pays for it and if the new coating is an improvement or not a repair in the context of the lease and its use. These days depending on the system a walkable surface does not often cost that much more in materials and little extra in labour.

Frankly its easier to just pay £250 on the basis of failing to consult than incur expense arguing whether its right or not. if done well it'll be long time before the issue comes back up.

if they threaten legal action then immediately go to the LVT first, don't let them initiate proceedings, and raise the pay ability as well as consultation and the terms of the lease then.
    Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

We guessed this would be the best way forward. Many thanks for your quick response.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• 87 Years left on Lease - Cant buy freehold until 2 years?
        by pt888
        A property recently came back onto the market for the reason being that the previous buyer was unable to lend money from his bank due to the lease only having 87 years remaining, the estate agent therefore said that going forward only cash-buyers would be considered. Out of those cash buyers i was selected....
        28-01-2022, 20:38 PM
      • Reply to 87 Years left on Lease - Cant buy freehold until 2 years?
        by L4NDLORD
        If you have a solicitor ask him to download a copy of the lease from HM Land Registry, it will inform you of the rent payable etc. Costs about three quid, plus your solicitors time (ten minutes!)
        29-01-2022, 00:57 AM
      • Reply to 87 Years left on Lease - Cant buy freehold until 2 years?
        by L4NDLORD
        The city will probably insist you served notice and that they obtain a valuation for which you will almost certainly have to pay. Even so with 87 years unexpired its still not going to cost very much, a few thousand pounds. The solution to your question is to ask the seller to serve the notice on the...
        29-01-2022, 00:56 AM
      • Lease extension triggers doubling ground rent change
        by SouthernDave
        Has anyone had dealing with doubling ground rents?
        i have just asked for a quote for a lease extension and they are proposing new ground rent terms of a doubling ground rent every 25 years. My commercial guy has said some lenders don't like these which may reduce the value of the property of i...
        25-01-2022, 22:53 PM
      • Reply to Lease extension triggers doubling ground rent change
        by L4NDLORD
        it is quite true that the professionals unnecessarily make a meal of this type of work. One of the planks of my submission to Professor Hophins was that the landlord's costs should be limited to 500 pounds. I also suggested that relativity be standardised nationally (accepting that there would be winners...
        29-01-2022, 00:51 AM
      • Reply to Service charges according to floorspace vs lease stipulation
        by sgclacy
        So the new lessee who wishes to challenge the proportion would have seen BEFORE he purchased the flat what percentage he was to pay - the unfairness of the bargain was patently clear BEFORE he purchased and may we’ll have been reflected in the price paid for the flat. So notwithstanding all of that...
        28-01-2022, 22:45 PM
      • Reply to Water Leaks Again and Again and Again...
        by bigalxyz
        There's no single cause - there have been multiple leaks - each time a different cause. Blocked bath overflow, leaking washing machine hose, leaking toilet cistern inlet, failed balloon valve in toilet, shower screen not fitted properly...all kinds of things. Just general neglect. Owner's never there,...
        28-01-2022, 22:32 PM
      • Water Leaks Again and Again and Again...
        by bigalxyz
        Director of RMC - 11 flats in London
        There seems to be a long standing problem with the plumbing in the bathroom of one of the flats. 4 water leaks in the last 18 months, causing damage to the flat below.

Is there anything the RMC can do to compel the leaseholder of the problem flat...
        28-01-2022, 16:05 PM
        by bigalxyz
        Thank you.

I plan to leaf through the lease at the weekend - there may well be clauses along the lines that you suggest (it does ring a bell). Also I do know that there's a clause along the lines of "leaseholders mustn't do anything to mess up the insurance of the building, and are...
        28-01-2022, 22:30 PM
        by Macromia
        What it says in the lease is mostly what you have to rely on. I would be looking for any clauses that the flat needs to be kept in a good state of repair, and in particular anything that mentions keeping the pipes that serve the flat in a good state of repair and replaced when necessary and anything...
        28-01-2022, 20:53 PM
      Working...
      X