Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sub-letting charges by freeholder's agents

Hi
    We are new landlords and are not sure if our freeholder can charge us for sub-letting a flat.e Our lease says that "....if we desire to transfer assign or underlet the Property or this Lease (except in the case of an underletting for a period not exceeding three years)............to pay reasonable fees to the Lessor....."
    Does this mean we can sublet for periods less than 3 years without incurring any charges or have I mis-understood?

. We have been told that we have to pay £120.00 and then £70.00 every 6 months and then if we get a different tenant we have to start again with £120.00 and then £70.00 until tenant changes again.
    Please can someone help me on this before we go any further

Many thanks
    Doris3668

Is there a written demand from the freeholder company or a managing agent or solicitor ? What is the precise wording in your lease requiring the Lessee to pay a fee to lessor for what ? consent ? registration ?

There is no legal basis for paying 70 pds every 6 months - this is a try on

You should ask your own conveyancing solicitor to explain the meaning in your lease "except in the case of an underletting for less than 3 years".

Comment

Originally posted by Doris3668 View Post
      Hi
      We are new landlords and are not sure if our freeholder can charge us for sub-letting a flat.e Our lease says that "....if we desire to transfer assign or underlet the Property or this Lease (except in the case of an underletting for a period not exceeding three years)............to pay reasonable fees to the Lessor....."
      Does this mean we can sublet for periods less than 3 years without incurring any charges or have I mis-understood?
      Well to be certain we'd need to see the covenant in full but it does look like it's only if you create a sub-tenancy that is expected to last for more than 3 years that you have to pay any fee.
      I accept no legal responsibility for comments/advice I make on this forum. Please check with a solicitor before acting on statements made in a public forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Doris3668 View Post
        Hi

Our lease says that "....if we desire to transfer assign or underlet the Property or this Lease (except in the case of an underletting for a period not exceeding three years)............to pay reasonable fees to the Lessor....."

. We have been told that we have to pay £120.00 and then £70.00 every 6 months and then if we get a different tenant we have to start again with £120.00 and then £70.00 until tenant changes again.
        Please can someone help me on this before we go any further

Many thanks
        Doris3668
        We dont know what comes after The lessor, but given the fee rates I suspect that this is for consent, and comes into play if the letting is more than three years.

You therefore have to look at the rest of the wording AND later in the lease to say if notice has to be given of the let, of any length.

So please let us know what he lease says in full and happy to draft a response.
        Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Those are the same fee levels charged by the freeholder's agent (a large company) for "notice of registration" on one of my properties and discussed on this forum before - so it might not be for consent.

In terms of my situation, following advice on here from LHA and others, I paid the initial £120 and then refused the subsequent £70 fee on the grounds that the same agreement remains in place (albeit as an SPT) and the agent has not chased up subsequently.

Obviously, depending on the content of this particular lease, that might have no relevance.

John

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Service charges according to floorspace vs lease stipulation
            by sgclacy
            So the new lessee who wishes to challenge the proportion would have seen BEFORE he purchased the flat what percentage he was to pay - the unfairness of the bargain was patently clear BEFORE he purchased and may we’ll have been reflected in the price paid for the flat. So notwithstanding all of that...
            28-01-2022, 22:45 PM
          • Reply to Water Leaks Again and Again and Again...
            by bigalxyz
            There's no single cause - there have been multiple leaks - each time a different cause. Blocked bath overflow, leaking washing machine hose, leaking toilet cistern inlet, failed balloon valve in toilet, shower screen not fitted properly...all kinds of things. Just general neglect. Owner's never there,...
            28-01-2022, 22:32 PM
          • Water Leaks Again and Again and Again...
            by bigalxyz
            Director of RMC - 11 flats in London
            There seems to be a long standing problem with the plumbing in the bathroom of one of the flats. 4 water leaks in the last 18 months, causing damage to the flat below.

Is there anything the RMC can do to compel the leaseholder of the problem flat...
            28-01-2022, 16:05 PM
            by bigalxyz
            Thank you.

I plan to leaf through the lease at the weekend - there may well be clauses along the lines that you suggest (it does ring a bell). Also I do know that there's a clause along the lines of "leaseholders mustn't do anything to mess up the insurance of the building, and are...
            28-01-2022, 22:30 PM
            by Macromia
            What it says in the lease is mostly what you have to rely on. I would be looking for any clauses that the flat needs to be kept in a good state of repair, and in particular anything that mentions keeping the pipes that serve the flat in a good state of repair and replaced when necessary and anything...
            28-01-2022, 20:53 PM
          • Reply to Licenced Garage
            by Pariah81
            We have around 5 individual garages and another garage with 3 parking spaces (I refer to that as the communal garage). Each parking space in the communal garage is allocated to a specific flat.

Whilst the document tries to convey it is assigned on licence, from the case law I have read,...
            28-01-2022, 20:41 PM
          • Reply to Service charges according to floorspace vs lease stipulation
            by Macromia
            If three out of four leaseholders, where all four share the freehold, stand together in opposition against the fourth, that is by definition the three 'ganging up' against the fourth. The fact that the same system may have been in use previously, and may even have been willingly accepted by previous...
            28-01-2022, 20:39 PM
          • 87 Years left on Lease - Cant buy freehold until 2 years?
            by pt888
            A property recently came back onto the market for the reason being that the previous buyer was unable to lend money from his bank due to the lease only having 87 years remaining, the estate agent therefore said that going forward only cash-buyers would be considered. Out of those cash buyers i was selected....
            28-01-2022, 20:38 PM
            by Gordon999
            You need to inspect the bathroom and determine the cause of water ingress to flat below . If there is a shower head , the water spray may fall into the gap between the bath and wall. If there is no shower spray, the pipes under the bath may be loose .??

If the bath user forgets...
            28-01-2022, 20:22 PM
          • Reply to Who owns loft space when it is not stated in lease.
            by Babyspice
            vagabond does ur lease state to whom has the roof been demised to? Who is responsible for insuring/repairing and rebuilding (in case of fire)?

i am currently progressing a loft conversion application with the FH, and even though my lease does not specifically mention the loft space, since...
            28-01-2022, 18:27 PM
          Working...
          X