Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying and extending a lease

Hello.
    I was wondering if somebody could help with me with what is probably a frequently asked question here.

We are in the process of buying a property. The agreed price was £215,000 with 84 years on the lease. However we have now found out that the lease only has 78 years remaining.

The ground rent is currently £50 per annum

After reading about leases, it says the premium jumps up as it is under 80 years. Would anyone be able to advise on how much this would be and how much the property would be worth with the shorter lease?

Also how long would it take to extend? Could the current owners extend before selling. If they did would we have to wait for this to be done before completion?

There are a few questions here but I hope someone can help.

T

I was wondering if somebody could help with me with what is probably a frequently asked question here.
    it is so do a search...
    Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

You can calculated the rough cost of statutory 90 years lease extension using the method posted in LZforum thread No.11080 posted by our expert sgclacy a few years ago. Using your figures , I calculate the rough cost of lease extension at about 6K. ( but does not include valuation by surveyor for the freeholder.)

You can download the free guides on lease extension procedure and calculating the cost of lese extension from www.lease-advice.org

To avoid the normal 2 years waiting period after you become the leaseholder, you can negotiate for the seller's solicitor to serve the legal notice on landlord to claim a statutory lease extension during the short period after exchange of sale contract and before the completion date of sale. But you need to employ a conveyancing solicitor with previous experience of this procedure as its easy to make a mistake and invalidate your claim for lease extension.

Comment

Thanks Gordon999 for the response.

On average how long would serving a statutory lease extension and the process take?

If not does any one have any advice on how much to negotiate on the sale price, taking into account the shorter lease.

Thanks

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Building works & S20 process
          by scot22
          It is relatively simple to administer process. However, definitely engage professional to define necessary work and project manage.

If I can, anybody can.
          21-05-2022, 20:19 PM
        • Building works & S20 process
          by RichA
          Hi. I have a freehold after selling a leasehold flat in a block of 4 flats. We don't currently have a managing agent, so these duties currently fall to me (I am holding off appointing a managing agent whilst the leaseholders consider whether they want to RTM).

The block needs some maintenance...
          21-05-2022, 17:20 PM
        • collective enfranchisement
          by flyingfreehold
          Does a leaseholder have to be a registered proprietor to join a collective? Or is it sufficient for her/his/it to be a transferee whose interest is not yet registered?
          21-05-2022, 18:51 PM
        • Reply to collective enfranchisement
          by Tipper
          Ask lease-advice.org
          21-05-2022, 18:59 PM
        • Reply to Levy
          by scot22
          Thanks Gordon. There was no info other than amount and invoice which explained nothing !
          21-05-2022, 17:16 PM
        • Reply to Share of feehold/shared service charges?
          by Macromia
          They are correct that the purchase of the freehold has no relevance (although it would allow the three of you to alter the leases if you are all in agreement).

Unless you alter the leases you continue to split service charge costs according to what the terms of your leases say - sharing...
          21-05-2022, 17:14 PM
        • Changes to lease wording
          by bigalxyz
          In the process of buying freehold for our building. 9 participants (from 11 flats).

Our solicitor will extend leases to 999 years for an additional fee if we want to. She has asked, as part of that extension process:

“Are there any amendments that you are seeking to make...
          14-05-2022, 12:27 PM
        • Reply to Changes to lease wording
          by Lawcruncher
          If the leases are going to be for 999 years there is not a lot of point imposing a restriction in such terms. It is also open to interpretation. You have to decide first if you are going to allow subletting at all. That has to depend on what people want. If any owner already sublets then you cannot...
          21-05-2022, 17:09 PM
        • Reply to Levy
          by Macromia
          ...And it still going to depend on what it is for (and on what your lease allows to be charged for, and when.

Service charge demands have to include details such as a service address for the freeholder, and have to be accompanied by an appropriate copy of 'leaseholders rights and responsibilities',...
          21-05-2022, 16:53 PM
        • Reply to Changes to lease wording
          by Lawcruncher
          The solicitor has said: "Are there any amendments that you are seeking to make to the leases once you have acquired the freehold? Any important amendments should be detailed in the PA so that the parties know they are bound to comply later on. Please do let me know your thoughts." That is...
          21-05-2022, 16:49 PM
        Working...
        X