short existing lease allowing holiday lets or new long lease excluding holiday lets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

short existing lease allowing holiday lets or new long lease excluding holiday lets

Deliberating over whether to buy Studio Flat with 51 years on existing

lease and able to rent out on holiday lets so we can use the Studio ourselves then try and negotiate new 999 year lease but they want to put new clause in for no holiday lets Its more suited to this use as is only 45sq m Studio flat Its on Brighton sea front. No Mortgage needed or do we wait and sign with new lease excluding holiday lets and try to negotiate licence to vary the lease either as personal to us or excluded completely from the new lease

Does any one have similar experiences of changing leases What are average costs , only 9 other flats as they are all in processs of upgrading the leases

If holiday letting is what you want then why not get the existing lessee to apply for the statutory 90 year lease extension as part of the sale? You then get your flat with 141 year lease. You pay the costs of course otherwise the sale price may go up.

Comment

If the other flats have to extend their leases , then consider collectively purchasing the freehold with the other leaseholders.

Comment

Are the other leaseholders agreeing to a no short let clause in their upgraded lease?

If so I agree that extending using the existing owners immediate application, and assigning it you, for the 90 years extension, is best, though the LL might try to ask the LVT to exclude short lets as part of granting that extension.
        Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Thanks for your replies
          Yes they are upgrading leases (leaseholdanswers ) we will have share of freehold if we buy obviously best option is too sign with new lease with holiday let clause removed see how things progress in coming weeks.

Comment

You are not grasping it. Being part of the freeholder group is irrelevant.

If the freeholders, apparently the current leaseholders as a group, are the ones discussing the new lease with the new clause preventing letting, then unless they give in, you need to look at the statutory lease extension as they have to make the case for amending the lease term at the lvt.
            Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Trying to grasp it

As cost of statutory lease extension would be

in order of £19000 approx working out by following some of the cost threads

Lease lesft 51 years
              Ground Rent £15
              MV without lease extension £115000
              MV with lease extension say £125000

Is this a true reflection of costs if we go down the 1993 Act for 90 year extension of existing terms in lease as is getting unsustainable

Regards

Comment

No way is a lease of 51 years only £10k less than one with a 51 + 90 or 999 year lease.

I suggest you get a local valuation on a lease extension from say http://www.psandb.co.uk/ or other local firm.

The main point is then price aside is that if you negotiate a lease they will want a no holiday let clause, so its take it or leave it.

if they won't agree and you go down the statutory route they would have to take it to the LVT to ask that the lease be changed, and this is an argument they have to make to persuade the panel that they are right.

The fact is that in small blocks holiday lets are a complete pain, people coming and going at all hours and often not respecting the building is a home to the others, as well as the wear at tear on carpets walls etc. Its a case easily made...

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to AGM cancelled.
                  by Andrea Cunningham
                  Call an EGM. Make sure you give proper notice and that it is legal (download a boilerplate notice off the internet). In that EGM you can vote new directors in, or even vote the old directors out.
                  26-01-2022, 07:14 AM
                • AGM cancelled.
                  by Grumio
                  Is this legal?

A bit of background, we currently have three directors, we are allowed to have up to a maximum of eight directors according to the articles of association. We are all leaseholders. Last summer the three directors decided to hire a managing agent who is now in charge of the...
                  26-01-2022, 00:46 AM
                • Lease extension triggers doubling ground rent change
                  by SouthernDave
                  Has anyone had dealing with doubling ground rents?
                  i have just asked for a quote for a lease extension and they are proposing new ground rent terms of a doubling ground rent every 25 years. My commercial guy has said some lenders don't like these which may reduce the value of the property of i...
                  25-01-2022, 22:53 PM
                • What can I do about my right of way.
                  by Trevor62
                  I live in the upper flat of a maisonette, I have a right of way that goes around the back of the building from the side entrance, there are only two flats in the building.

Anyway for years there has been a gate with a lock to go through the right of way, now for the past year the flat has...
                  23-01-2022, 23:01 PM
                • Reply to What can I do about my right of way.
                  by Trevor62

This is the ROW as it is in the land registry.

Can I ask another question?

As you can read it says Boundary determined by edge of pavings. Before the other party moved out they built a fence along the boundary though they build it on my side of the...
                  25-01-2022, 20:58 PM
                • Enfranchising from a company I'm already a member of.
                  by Andrea Cunningham
                  The estate I live on has 2 blocks. All the leaseholders are members of the company which owns the freehold and manages the block ("Share of freehold").

Suppose one of the 2 blocks decides to go it alone - so in other words gain the freehold from a company they are already a member...
                  04-10-2021, 12:07 PM
                • Reply to Enfranchising from a company I'm already a member of.
                  by Andrea Cunningham
                  As I said right at the beginning, there are some very sound reasons to do this which I wasn't going to go into. Suffice it to say that the current situation is one where the building I live in suffers under the tyranny of the majority of the larger building. So what is being sought is genuine control...
                  25-01-2022, 20:24 PM
                  by Andrea Cunningham
                  There is already no ground rent collected - so as I understand it the value of the freehold might be quite low anyway.

If this is all done by negotiation then it is a moot point regardless, and it brings me back to what I was actually asking about, which is how to fairly and equitably split...
                  25-01-2022, 20:10 PM
                  by Macromia
                  That potentially raises an interesting question about what happens to any money that needs to be paid for the enfranchisement.
                  At the moment payment is handed over, all those in the block being enfranchised would presumably cease to be members of the company - so wouldn't be entitled to any share...
                  25-01-2022, 19:40 PM
                  by Macromia
                  That may not be your intention, but it definitely seems like you haven't given proper consideration to what enfranchisement would involve.

What do the leases specifically say about what is included within service charge/maintenance costs and how service charge costs are to be split?...
                  25-01-2022, 19:25 PM
                Working...
                X