signing property on long lease to school to pay fees?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

signing property on long lease to school to pay fees?

Hi new to this forum. would appreciate any advice.... I have a property whose value is £140.000 with a rental yield of £550pm no mortgage. I would like to sign the property(35 year lease perhpas) over to a prep school to pay school fees (theyt would then collect rent) is this possible to do? i have mentioned the idea to a school and they suggested I get an accountant to draw up the plan and they will look at it.
    any help most appreciated

regards
    Simon

You should discuss the terms of lease with a tax accountant and find out who pays the tax for 35 years ?

I would not expect any child to stay at same school for 35 years ????

Comment

Hi thanks for your reply....the children would only be at prep school for 5 years the property would be held by the school until the end of the lease (to pay the fees!!!!!) 550pm over 35years at 2% is going to be something like £200,000 plus income for the school a bit more than the fees. the tax on the income would be paid by the school? my main question is whether its legal to sign lease to a thrid party for this kind of arrangement, and if there are any tax implications of signing over of that property to a third party ie/ school

Comment

As you will be gaining from it the disposal to a Charity (ie the Prep School) will give rise to a chargeable gain.

The school will be liable to tax on its investment income

Would it not be better for you to enter into a loan agreement with the school whereby you pay the fees in effect over a longer period of time than your child is at school for and the school take a first charge over the property as security. This avoids them getting involved in property maintenance issues and avoids you having to pay CGT on the disposal

Comment

If you are the freeholder of the property in question i don't see why it would be a problem creating a 35 year lease. As sgclacy mentions this may create some sort of CGT liability to yourself. Of course if the property is your main home or there has been no increase in value since you bought it then there will be no tax liability. There is also an annual exemption in regard to the first £10,600 of capital gains.

If you are a leaseholder yourself, then you may be able to create a sublease, providing your lease allows it. The term will have to be less than the period still remaining on your lease. Again there may be a CGT liability.
          I accept no legal responsibility for comments/advice I make on this forum. Please check with a solicitor before acting on statements made in a public forum.

Comment

thanks siva and sgclacy. both bare consideration. i think ill go ahead and chat with an accountant to work up the best way to present it to the school first.

Comment

Originally posted by simon888 View Post
              Hi thanks for your reply....the children would only be at prep school for 5 years the property would be held by the school until the end of the lease (to pay the fees!!!!!) 550pm over 35years at 2% is going to be something like £200,000 plus income for the school a bit more than the fees. the tax on the income would be paid by the school? my main question is whether its legal to sign lease to a thrid party for this kind of arrangement, and if there are any tax implications of signing over of that property to a third party ie/ school
              You need a solicitor to check the wording of your lease to see if you can sublet for 35 years.

The other way may be to use an offset or flexible mortgage :

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p...hool-fees.html

Comment

My goodness you must really want your kids to go to that school! Your choice, but just seems one of the strangest questions I have ever seen asked here...
                Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• AGM cancelled.
                  by Grumio
                  Is this legal?

A bit of background, we currently have three directors, we are allowed to have up to a maximum of eight directors according to the articles of association. We are all leaseholders. Last summer the three directors decided to hire a managing agent who is now in charge of the...
                  26-01-2022, 00:46 AM
                • Reply to AGM cancelled.
                  by eagle2
                  Any meeting which you decide to hold will be an informal meeting only, you do need to follow the correct procedure if you wish to hold a valid meeting,

The Articles should state whether or not directors need to declare conflicts of interest and whether or not they are entitled to vote on...
                  26-01-2022, 13:30 PM
                  by Grumio
                  It is both a managing agent and a residence Association. But we want to go back to managing the block ourselves.

Thanks for the reply, yes invitations have been sent to all our members. And I agree, they should not cancel the AGM, especially when they haven’t got a plausible reason to...
                  26-01-2022, 12:12 PM
                • Reply to Lease extension triggers doubling ground rent change
                  by sgclacy
                  Doubling every 25 years is simply a guess as to what inflation may be, if inflation of the current levels ( about 6% ) was to continue the real value of the rent would fall by 77% and doubling would not address the enormous damage done by inflation. However, if inflation was less than 2.81% per annum...
                  26-01-2022, 11:57 AM
                • Reply to Lease extension triggers doubling ground rent change
                  by Section20z
                  You are clearly using the informal route and can thus negotiate whatever terms you like.
                  freeholder will want to retain some ground rent but avoid the doubling clause, maybe suggest small fixed rises every ten years....
                  26-01-2022, 10:40 AM
                • Reply to Service charges according to floorspace vs lease stipulation
                  by Section20z
                  Quite, there is also the question here of who the actual freeholder is and whether the whole thing is any concern of the OP who only ever need pay 25% !!...
                  26-01-2022, 10:25 AM
                • Service charges according to floorspace vs lease stipulation
                  by Santa Fe
                  Hello. I own a flat in a block of four. The new owner of the smallest flat is disputing their contribution to service charges based on floor size. All four flats have historically paid 25% each, but of the four leases only mine states that I pay 25%. I have spoken with a solicitor about this and he...
                  24-01-2022, 22:55 PM
                  by eagle2
                  Yes, I am confused too. If there is a Residents Association, it is required to comply with its constitution.

There seems to be a Company involved as well. Whether or not it is required to hold an AGM depends on its Articles, AGMs can be cancelled for various reasons, lockdowns are an example,...
                  26-01-2022, 10:19 AM
                • Reply to Service charges according to floorspace vs lease stipulation
                  by eagle2
                  I think that we have found 3 possible alternatives already and no doubt we could find more, As Section20z says it is very rare for a court or a tribunal to intervene, The lease appears to allow the freeholder (?) to decide what is fair and reasonable and it has decided that an equal share is reasonable,...
                  26-01-2022, 10:01 AM
                  by fos333
                  Is this a Residence Association or Residents Management Company?

Had invitations to the AGM been sent out to all members? If invitations had been issued then no the AGM should not have been cancelled.

If the 2 directors are "good friends of the managing agent" they...
                  26-01-2022, 10:00 AM
                Working...
                X