When departing leaseholder passes right to extend lease over to incoming leaseholder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When departing leaseholder passes right to extend lease over to incoming leaseholder

Can anyone tell me how long does the new leaseholder have to extend the lease after purchasing, when notice has been passed on by the departing leaseholder to the incoming leaseholder to extend the lease? (i have re-written this a few times because I felt it doesn't make sense, so apologies is it is confusing to read)!

The notice process runs as normal, all the assignment does it treat B the purchaser as having the same rights as A the vendor who served notice.

Did you or the solicitor get and respond to a Notice with a counter Notice?

rather than type it out I'll do a Jeffrey and I will borrow LEASE's list of time limits

Procedures and Statutory Timelimits

leaseholder serves S41 Information Notice (discretionary)
    Landlord must respond within 28 days
    leaseholder serves S42 Tenant's Notice
    The "valuation date" will be fixed as the date of service of the S42 Tenant's Notice
    Landlord may request additional information, but he must do so within 21 days of receipt of the Tenant's Notice
    leaseholder's must respond to his request within 21 days
    Landlord must serve a Counter-Notice by the date specified in the notice. This date must be at least two months from the date of service of the Tenant's Notice
    Where the landlord fails to serve the Counter-Notice leaseholders must apply to court within six months for a vesting order
    After service of the Counter-Notice either party may apply to the Leasehold Valuation Tribunal. This must be done no sooner than two months from, but within six months of, the date of service of the Counter-notice
    Leasehold Valuation Tribunal determination becomes final after 28 days. Appeals must be made within this period to the Lands Tribunal but only with the leave of the LVT
    After Leasehold Valuation Tribunal decision is final landlord must provide draft lease within 14 days
    Period of two months after decision becomes final for parties to enter into the new lease
    If the period above elapses without entry into new lease, then leaseholder must apply to court within a further two months requiring the Landlord to meet his obligations
    Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

We haven't been served with anything yet, but as we told the new purchaser to sling his hook (after giving him a price for an informal lease extension, then being harassed by him on other matters)!
      OK I thought that when the incoming leaseholder took on the right that they may be allowed a long time to actually start the process. So have I got it right that when notice is served they only have the time limit above? If they do not go through with it in the time scales above what happens? Do they have to then wait 2 more years? Just thinking of all the scenarios!

Comment

Ah no as said, the vendor A must have served notice while they were the owner. If they don't serve notice then the new owner has to wait 2 years or agree to your terms.
        Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Thank you, I thought that was the case!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to AGM cancelled.
            by Andrea Cunningham
            Call an EGM. Make sure you give proper notice and that it is legal (download a boilerplate notice off the internet). In that EGM you can vote new directors in, or even vote the old directors out.
            26-01-2022, 07:14 AM
          • AGM cancelled.
            by Grumio
            Is this legal?

A bit of background, we currently have three directors, we are allowed to have up to a maximum of eight directors according to the articles of association. We are all leaseholders. Last summer the three directors decided to hire a managing agent who is now in charge of the...
            26-01-2022, 00:46 AM
          • Lease extension triggers doubling ground rent change
            by SouthernDave
            Has anyone had dealing with doubling ground rents?
            i have just asked for a quote for a lease extension and they are proposing new ground rent terms of a doubling ground rent every 25 years. My commercial guy has said some lenders don't like these which may reduce the value of the property of i...
            25-01-2022, 22:53 PM
          • What can I do about my right of way.
            by Trevor62
            I live in the upper flat of a maisonette, I have a right of way that goes around the back of the building from the side entrance, there are only two flats in the building.

Anyway for years there has been a gate with a lock to go through the right of way, now for the past year the flat has...
            23-01-2022, 23:01 PM
          • Reply to What can I do about my right of way.
            by Trevor62

This is the ROW as it is in the land registry.

Can I ask another question?

As you can read it says Boundary determined by edge of pavings. Before the other party moved out they built a fence along the boundary though they build it on my side of the...
            25-01-2022, 20:58 PM
          • Enfranchising from a company I'm already a member of.
            by Andrea Cunningham
            The estate I live on has 2 blocks. All the leaseholders are members of the company which owns the freehold and manages the block ("Share of freehold").

Suppose one of the 2 blocks decides to go it alone - so in other words gain the freehold from a company they are already a member...
            04-10-2021, 12:07 PM
          • Reply to Enfranchising from a company I'm already a member of.
            by Andrea Cunningham
            As I said right at the beginning, there are some very sound reasons to do this which I wasn't going to go into. Suffice it to say that the current situation is one where the building I live in suffers under the tyranny of the majority of the larger building. So what is being sought is genuine control...
            25-01-2022, 20:24 PM
            by Andrea Cunningham
            There is already no ground rent collected - so as I understand it the value of the freehold might be quite low anyway.

If this is all done by negotiation then it is a moot point regardless, and it brings me back to what I was actually asking about, which is how to fairly and equitably split...
            25-01-2022, 20:10 PM
            by Macromia
            That potentially raises an interesting question about what happens to any money that needs to be paid for the enfranchisement.
            At the moment payment is handed over, all those in the block being enfranchised would presumably cease to be members of the company - so wouldn't be entitled to any share...
            25-01-2022, 19:40 PM
            by Macromia
            That may not be your intention, but it definitely seems like you haven't given proper consideration to what enfranchisement would involve.

What do the leases specifically say about what is included within service charge/maintenance costs and how service charge costs are to be split?...
            25-01-2022, 19:25 PM
          Working...
          X