When departing leaseholder passes right to extend lease over to incoming leaseholder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When departing leaseholder passes right to extend lease over to incoming leaseholder

Can anyone tell me how long does the new leaseholder have to extend the lease after purchasing, when notice has been passed on by the departing leaseholder to the incoming leaseholder to extend the lease? (i have re-written this a few times because I felt it doesn't make sense, so apologies is it is confusing to read)!

The notice process runs as normal, all the assignment does it treat B the purchaser as having the same rights as A the vendor who served notice.

Did you or the solicitor get and respond to a Notice with a counter Notice?

rather than type it out I'll do a Jeffrey and I will borrow LEASE's list of time limits

Procedures and Statutory Timelimits

leaseholder serves S41 Information Notice (discretionary)
    Landlord must respond within 28 days
    leaseholder serves S42 Tenant's Notice
    The "valuation date" will be fixed as the date of service of the S42 Tenant's Notice
    Landlord may request additional information, but he must do so within 21 days of receipt of the Tenant's Notice
    leaseholder's must respond to his request within 21 days
    Landlord must serve a Counter-Notice by the date specified in the notice. This date must be at least two months from the date of service of the Tenant's Notice
    Where the landlord fails to serve the Counter-Notice leaseholders must apply to court within six months for a vesting order
    After service of the Counter-Notice either party may apply to the Leasehold Valuation Tribunal. This must be done no sooner than two months from, but within six months of, the date of service of the Counter-notice
    Leasehold Valuation Tribunal determination becomes final after 28 days. Appeals must be made within this period to the Lands Tribunal but only with the leave of the LVT
    After Leasehold Valuation Tribunal decision is final landlord must provide draft lease within 14 days
    Period of two months after decision becomes final for parties to enter into the new lease
    If the period above elapses without entry into new lease, then leaseholder must apply to court within a further two months requiring the Landlord to meet his obligations
    Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

We haven't been served with anything yet, but as we told the new purchaser to sling his hook (after giving him a price for an informal lease extension, then being harassed by him on other matters)!
      OK I thought that when the incoming leaseholder took on the right that they may be allowed a long time to actually start the process. So have I got it right that when notice is served they only have the time limit above? If they do not go through with it in the time scales above what happens? Do they have to then wait 2 more years? Just thinking of all the scenarios!

Comment

Ah no as said, the vendor A must have served notice while they were the owner. If they don't serve notice then the new owner has to wait 2 years or agree to your terms.
        Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Thank you, I thought that was the case!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Share of feehold/shared service charges?
            by Stu1020
            Hi there,

I'm new to the forum and looking for advice on a sticky freehold situation.

I own a two-bed flat in a converted building with two one-beds. The lease states that a fair proportion is payable towards the service charge. However, there has been a running agreement of...
            20-05-2022, 11:39 AM
          • Reply to Share of feehold/shared service charges?
            by eagle2
            I suggest that you ask the other 2 leaseholders to explain why they consider that the current allocation is fair. The freeholder has the right to review the allocation from time to time. Unfortunately, a "fair proportion" means that several alternatives would be considered reasonable to a...
            25-05-2022, 06:27 AM
          • RTM Hand Over Issues
            by martin15
            RTM handing over issues

Our RTM companies comprise 4 blocks of 6 identical two bedroom flats and each block is registered at Companies House as a separate company.
            Following the acquisition date, it was discovered the former directors ignored legal advice and changed property management companies...
            23-05-2022, 19:36 PM
          • Reply to RTM Hand Over Issues
            by eagle2
            You appear to have a claim against the freeholder, not the individual companies, who are acting as agent for the freeholder. A Tribunal does not have the jurisdiction to deal with monies which should be handed over, it is a matter for the courts,
            25-05-2022, 06:16 AM
          • Old managing agents accounts
            by jazzythumper
            Since obtaining the RTM and changing the managing agent, we have never been given full accounts / receipts for the previous year(s). We believe that as the old freeholder and leaser holder of one of the flats were represented by the same solicitor that prior to the sale of the freehold, we were subsidising...
            20-05-2022, 11:21 AM
          • Reply to Old managing agents accounts
            by eagle2
            You do not appear to hold sufficient information to make a claim against the freeholder at this stage. I suggest that you apply to the FTT to challenge the charges. You would then be able to ask the Tribunal to direct the freeholder to disclose further information....
            25-05-2022, 06:06 AM
          • Reply to S20 - Quotes not valid for long enough for 30 day consult
            by Macromia
            With just two properties involved, and you being a resident, your best option would probably be to agree a time to talk through the proposed work and the need to skip the full 30 days that are supposed to be allowed for each stage of consultation.
            If the other leaseholder has any major concerns,...
            25-05-2022, 02:52 AM
          • S20 - Quotes not valid for long enough for 30 day consult
            by Flatman78
            Hi LZ Community

Just wondering if anyone's had/having any issues with S20 and allowing leaseholder 30 days to review estimates, raise concerns etc.

Building material prices have fluctuated massively since covid and brexit.
            with a combination of Brexit, impact from russia/ukraine...
            23-05-2022, 14:42 PM
          • Reply to Section 20
            by Macromia
            This really doesn't help at all.

In what was does the driveway partially belong to the freeholder and partially to the leaseholder?
            Are you saying that part of the driveway is demised to this leaseholder and part is undemised and therefore a common area? Or does the freeholder have...
            25-05-2022, 02:39 AM
          • Freehold confusion
            by davetg
            30 years ago I bought a flat from a friend. The freehold at the time was registered to my friend and the lady who owned the other flat. I understood at the time that I would replace the friend on the freehold but this never happened. This was not a problem until now as when work on the structure of...
            24-05-2022, 14:29 PM
          Working...
          X