When departing leaseholder passes right to extend lease over to incoming leaseholder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When departing leaseholder passes right to extend lease over to incoming leaseholder

Can anyone tell me how long does the new leaseholder have to extend the lease after purchasing, when notice has been passed on by the departing leaseholder to the incoming leaseholder to extend the lease? (i have re-written this a few times because I felt it doesn't make sense, so apologies is it is confusing to read)!

The notice process runs as normal, all the assignment does it treat B the purchaser as having the same rights as A the vendor who served notice.

Did you or the solicitor get and respond to a Notice with a counter Notice?

rather than type it out I'll do a Jeffrey and I will borrow LEASE's list of time limits

Procedures and Statutory Timelimits

leaseholder serves S41 Information Notice (discretionary)
    Landlord must respond within 28 days
    leaseholder serves S42 Tenant's Notice
    The "valuation date" will be fixed as the date of service of the S42 Tenant's Notice
    Landlord may request additional information, but he must do so within 21 days of receipt of the Tenant's Notice
    leaseholder's must respond to his request within 21 days
    Landlord must serve a Counter-Notice by the date specified in the notice. This date must be at least two months from the date of service of the Tenant's Notice
    Where the landlord fails to serve the Counter-Notice leaseholders must apply to court within six months for a vesting order
    After service of the Counter-Notice either party may apply to the Leasehold Valuation Tribunal. This must be done no sooner than two months from, but within six months of, the date of service of the Counter-notice
    Leasehold Valuation Tribunal determination becomes final after 28 days. Appeals must be made within this period to the Lands Tribunal but only with the leave of the LVT
    After Leasehold Valuation Tribunal decision is final landlord must provide draft lease within 14 days
    Period of two months after decision becomes final for parties to enter into the new lease
    If the period above elapses without entry into new lease, then leaseholder must apply to court within a further two months requiring the Landlord to meet his obligations
    Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

We haven't been served with anything yet, but as we told the new purchaser to sling his hook (after giving him a price for an informal lease extension, then being harassed by him on other matters)!
      OK I thought that when the incoming leaseholder took on the right that they may be allowed a long time to actually start the process. So have I got it right that when notice is served they only have the time limit above? If they do not go through with it in the time scales above what happens? Do they have to then wait 2 more years? Just thinking of all the scenarios!

Comment

Ah no as said, the vendor A must have served notice while they were the owner. If they don't serve notice then the new owner has to wait 2 years or agree to your terms.
        Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Thank you, I thought that was the case!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• AGM cancelled.
            by Grumio
            Is this legal?

A bit of background, we currently have three directors, we are allowed to have up to a maximum of eight directors according to the articles of association. We are all leaseholders. Last summer the three directors decided to hire a managing agent who is now in charge of the...
            26-01-2022, 00:46 AM
          • Reply to AGM cancelled.
            by Grumio
            It is both a managing agent and a residence Association. But we want to go back to managing the block ourselves.

Thanks for the reply, yes invitations have been sent to all our members. And I agree, they should not cancel the AGM, especially when they haven’t got a plausible reason to...
            26-01-2022, 12:12 PM
          • Reply to Lease extension triggers doubling ground rent change
            by sgclacy
            Doubling every 25 years is simply a guess as to what inflation may be, if inflation of the current levels ( about 6% ) was to continue the real value of the rent would fall by 77% and doubling would not address the enormous damage done by inflation. However, if inflation was less than 2.81% per annum...
            26-01-2022, 11:57 AM
            by Section20z
            You are clearly using the informal route and can thus negotiate whatever terms you like.
            freeholder will want to retain some ground rent but avoid the doubling clause, maybe suggest small fixed rises every ten years....
            26-01-2022, 10:40 AM
          • Service charges according to floorspace vs lease stipulation
            by Santa Fe
            Hello. I own a flat in a block of four. The new owner of the smallest flat is disputing their contribution to service charges based on floor size. All four flats have historically paid 25% each, but of the four leases only mine states that I pay 25%. I have spoken with a solicitor about this and he...
            24-01-2022, 22:55 PM
          • Reply to Service charges according to floorspace vs lease stipulation
            by Section20z
            Quite, there is also the question here of who the actual freeholder is and whether the whole thing is any concern of the OP who only ever need pay 25% !!...
            26-01-2022, 10:25 AM
            by eagle2
            Yes, I am confused too. If there is a Residents Association, it is required to comply with its constitution.

There seems to be a Company involved as well. Whether or not it is required to hold an AGM depends on its Articles, AGMs can be cancelled for various reasons, lockdowns are an example,...
            26-01-2022, 10:19 AM
          • Reply to Service charges according to floorspace vs lease stipulation
            by eagle2
            I think that we have found 3 possible alternatives already and no doubt we could find more, As Section20z says it is very rare for a court or a tribunal to intervene, The lease appears to allow the freeholder (?) to decide what is fair and reasonable and it has decided that an equal share is reasonable,...
            26-01-2022, 10:01 AM
            by fos333
            Is this a Residence Association or Residents Management Company?

Had invitations to the AGM been sent out to all members? If invitations had been issued then no the AGM should not have been cancelled.

If the 2 directors are "good friends of the managing agent" they...
            26-01-2022, 10:00 AM
            by Gordon999
            If you ask for a statutory 90 years lease extension , the annual ground rent is a peppercorn .
            26-01-2022, 09:54 AM
          Working...
          X