Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FTB share of freehold flat worried about lease extension

hello,

i have had an offer accepted on a 50% share of freehold flat the lease remains at 101 years currently, however i am worried about if say i want to sell in 25 or so years i will need an extension on the lease and so will need the other freeholders permission although i am worried if they do not want to extend the lease if they are difficult or if they are repossesd and disappear etc!
    what would you advise i ask the estate agent and my solicitor regarding this? should i ask for the sellers to extend before completion as 101 years is a reasonable lease will this be quite rude on my part?

many thanks

I would suggest that as a condition of purchasing the lease is extended to 999 years at a peppercorn rent, and that you will meet the legal costs of so doing, ie yours and the current freeholders.

The other leaseholders might opt to do likewise at the same time.

Unless the freehold is held by a company, you are not a 50% owner you are a joint owner , a single legal entity.
    Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

great thank you very much, do i have to tell the estate agent this or just my solicitor?

Comment

does anyone know if i have to tell my estate agents this? as he will be calling shortly i realise i should of asked about this before i got my offer accepted

Comment

Tell your solicitor and then tell your estate agent, but do it in person. It is always funny to see someone get completely confused, then start bullshitting. At which point you bring the hammer down and tell them that they clearly do not understand, it does not affect the offer or your willingness too proceed and to let the solicitors deal with it.
          Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

thanks for the swift reply, will call solicitor first unfortunately i cant see the EA in person so will have to be over the phone and im not looking forward to explaining it as he sounded like he didnt know too much about share of freehold properties, could i just let my solicitor deal with it or do i have to tell the EA?

Comment

both the EA and solicitor are busy so havent spoken to anyone yet was just wondering how long it would take to get a lease extension on the property if the other freeholder agrees? also am i not asking too much if i offer to pay for the current owners to extend it? as it is 101 years now which is quite good i hope they dont think i am being cheeky. i really want this sale to go through

Comment

just spoke to estate agents they tried to convince me that a lease of 100 years was enough for me to live in and sell in the future however for piece of mind i would like the 999 year lease as the other freeholder could be a nightmare. they told me to let my solicitor deal with it is that ok?

Comment

Originally posted by lalamock View Post
                  just spoke to estate agents they tried to convince me that a lease of 100 years was enough for me to live in and sell in the future however for piece of mind i would like the 999 year lease as the other freeholder could be a nightmare. they told me to let my solicitor deal with it is that ok?
                  Well that was the idea to get them out of the way. its a standard and unknowing response from them but it serves your purpose.

Your proceedings subject no doubt to contract and survey is only affected in that while 100 years is more than adequate, you are aware that the cost of extending gets more as the years go by, that is not the only thing you are buying- you are becoming joint owner of a freehold with a complete stranger.

One of the biggest source of disputes is a lease extension and you are simply seeking a simple extension to 999 years which is easily achieved.

The vendors solicitors ( a different partner) acts on the lease extension for the joint freeholders and you meet all their costs.

It doesnt affect the overall sale.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to AGM cancelled.
                    by eagle2
                    Any meeting which you decide to hold will be an informal meeting only, you do need to follow the correct procedure if you wish to hold a valid meeting,

The Articles should state whether or not directors need to declare conflicts of interest and whether or not they are entitled to vote on...
                    26-01-2022, 13:30 PM
                  • AGM cancelled.
                    by Grumio
                    Is this legal?

A bit of background, we currently have three directors, we are allowed to have up to a maximum of eight directors according to the articles of association. We are all leaseholders. Last summer the three directors decided to hire a managing agent who is now in charge of the...
                    26-01-2022, 00:46 AM
                    by Grumio
                    It is both a managing agent and a residence Association. But we want to go back to managing the block ourselves.

Thanks for the reply, yes invitations have been sent to all our members. And I agree, they should not cancel the AGM, especially when they haven’t got a plausible reason to...
                    26-01-2022, 12:12 PM
                  • Reply to Lease extension triggers doubling ground rent change
                    by sgclacy
                    Doubling every 25 years is simply a guess as to what inflation may be, if inflation of the current levels ( about 6% ) was to continue the real value of the rent would fall by 77% and doubling would not address the enormous damage done by inflation. However, if inflation was less than 2.81% per annum...
                    26-01-2022, 11:57 AM
                  • Reply to Lease extension triggers doubling ground rent change
                    by Section20z
                    You are clearly using the informal route and can thus negotiate whatever terms you like.
                    freeholder will want to retain some ground rent but avoid the doubling clause, maybe suggest small fixed rises every ten years....
                    26-01-2022, 10:40 AM
                  • Service charges according to floorspace vs lease stipulation
                    by Santa Fe
                    Hello. I own a flat in a block of four. The new owner of the smallest flat is disputing their contribution to service charges based on floor size. All four flats have historically paid 25% each, but of the four leases only mine states that I pay 25%. I have spoken with a solicitor about this and he...
                    24-01-2022, 22:55 PM
                  • Reply to Service charges according to floorspace vs lease stipulation
                    by Section20z
                    Quite, there is also the question here of who the actual freeholder is and whether the whole thing is any concern of the OP who only ever need pay 25% !!...
                    26-01-2022, 10:25 AM
                    by eagle2
                    Yes, I am confused too. If there is a Residents Association, it is required to comply with its constitution.

There seems to be a Company involved as well. Whether or not it is required to hold an AGM depends on its Articles, AGMs can be cancelled for various reasons, lockdowns are an example,...
                    26-01-2022, 10:19 AM
                  • Reply to Service charges according to floorspace vs lease stipulation
                    by eagle2
                    I think that we have found 3 possible alternatives already and no doubt we could find more, As Section20z says it is very rare for a court or a tribunal to intervene, The lease appears to allow the freeholder (?) to decide what is fair and reasonable and it has decided that an equal share is reasonable,...
                    26-01-2022, 10:01 AM
                    by fos333
                    Is this a Residence Association or Residents Management Company?

Had invitations to the AGM been sent out to all members? If invitations had been issued then no the AGM should not have been cancelled.

If the 2 directors are "good friends of the managing agent" they...
                    26-01-2022, 10:00 AM
                  Working...
                  X